Change to Dress Codes

Topics that are specific to cruising

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Re: Change to Dress Codes

Post by Onelife »

In my experience whenever dress codes are relaxed/ left open to interpretation it inevitably leads to falling standards. Perhaps the tide has changed but for me formal and smart-casual evenings are an essential part of my cruise experience. If for any reason l can't enjoy this tradition l will jack cruising in and spend more time at my tin can in Wales.

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

I'm personally a little disappointed but, as others have said, we can still chose to wear semi-formal/jacket and tie etc when we want to and we will do exactly that.

But I think the main concern of the traditionalists (for want of a better phrase) is that the more casual the specified dress code is - and the more often it applies - then the more often/likely it will descend to the level DQ describes above ( as we also witnessed on Ventura).

Shame - I thought splitting the fleet equally (ish) so that some ships had the more casual 2 dress code system, and the rest having the more traditional 3 dress code system, worked well and kept everyone happy.

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Onelife wrote:
In my experience whenever dress codes are relaxed/ left open to interpretation it inevitably leads to falling standards. Perhaps the tide has changed but for me formal and smart-casual evenings are an essential part of my cruise experience. If for any reason l can't enjoy this tradition l will jack cruising in and spend more time at my tin can in Wales.
Sorry Keefy, your post wasn't there when I started typing and we seem to have made the same point :roll: Great minds etc :lol:

D

P.s. I thought your tin can floated off down the Bristol Channel a good few floods back :shock: ;)

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Dennis The Menace wrote:
Onelife wrote:
Sorry Keefy, your post wasn't there when I started typing and we seem to have made the same point :roll: Great minds etc

D

P.s. I thought your tin can floated off down the Bristol Channel a good few floods back :shock: ;)

Hi Menace

The way its been blowing today it may well be sited in Aberdovey by tomorrow....l'll let you know when l get back :)

Regards

Keith :wave:

Ginny-T
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Ginny-T »

I've never really understond the 'middle' dress code. I know exactly where I am with formal, and I interpret smart casual as more smart than casual, but 'jacket required' says precisely what is required of the men, but what about us girlies?

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Ginny-T wrote:
but what about us girlies?
I think it's a lot easier for us, as our dresses are more interchangeable.

I've worn dresses that I bought for 'jacket required nights' on formal nights and on casual nights, and dresses that I bought for formal nights have been worn on 'jacket required nights'. Likewise, dresses that I bought for casual nights have been worn on 'jacket required nights'. Although I haven't worn casual dresses on formal nights.

I don't think anyone would dare challenge a woman on her interpretation of the dress code ( as long as she wasn't in beach attire in the evening).

That's why I'm pleased to see the back of the jacket required code as it'll give the gents more freedom choose how they want to dress, and still enjoy the whole ship, and not be confined to the buffet.
Gill

Ginny-T
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Ginny-T »

I too will be glad to see the back of it, for the reasons given previously.

Now, I still have to sort out five middling codes for our cruise in July! No doubt I'll do my usual smart casual, emphasis on the smart :D

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

My husband sometimes wears a jacket on casual nights. On our recent Oceana cruise I was surprised to see how many men opted to wear a jacket on some casual nights - not a vast majority or anything - but enough to make John feel he wasn't the odd one out - not that he'd have cared if he was. Even Cunard have done away with their tie requirement although I believe men have to wear a jacket every evening on Cunard.

Hopefully things will settle down now and it will be accepted that there are two dress codes on P&O - Formal with Black Tie or Lounge Suit and Casual which does not mean blue denim jeans with holes in! I did see one man on Oceana who looked as though he'd got his work jeans on with the low-slung builder's waist if you know what I mean but most men were dressed according to the dress code.

colwill
Cadet
Cadet

Post by colwill »

For my beloved's sake, I'm delighted to see the back of jackets on most evenings. The problem, for him anyway, is the level of heating on board being set for the ladies who are (mostly) wearing very little, while he gently steams.

Anyone squabbling over the central heating thermostat at home will know that men feel the heat...

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

colwill wrote:
....... for the ladies who are (mostly) wearing very little...
How did I not spot them?

Should have gone to Specsavers. :thumbup:

sadgit2
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by sadgit2 »

What a lot of fuss about dress codes , I personally like to don the dinner jacket from time to time and their have been nights when i could not be bothered but not a problem i just go to the buffet for dinner that way everyone is happy ,of course you always come across the people who dig their heals in with the words "nobody tells me what to wear " I for one will make the effort and don the DJ , i have plenty of casual dinners at home.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
colwill wrote:
....... for the ladies who are (mostly) wearing very little...
How did I not spot them?

Should have gone to Specsavers. :thumbup:

Ahhh you obviously only have eyes for the lovely Trish Merv :clap:
Jo

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

sadgit2 wrote:
...... you always come across the people who dig their heals in with the words "nobody tells me what to wear " .......
And no-one forces them to book the cruise lines which have formal dress codes. That's the bit I don't understand. Why spend all that money on something you know you won't enjoy? I wouldn't book a casual line then moan about it and insist on being the only one to wear a dinner jacket. :crazy:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
sadgit2 wrote:
...... you always come across the people who dig their heals in with the words "nobody tells me what to wear " .......
And no-one forces them to book the cruise lines which have formal dress codes. That's the bit I don't understand. Why spend all that money on something you know you won't enjoy? I wouldn't book a casual line then moan about it and insist on being the only one to wear a dinner jacket. :crazy:
Oh for goodness sake, not again! You can enjoy everything about a cruise apart from the formal nights, one of the big drawbacks is all the pretentious dressing up. Everything else about the cruise is fine. I know perfectly well what the dress code is: I just don't happen to like it. Despite what some people maintain there is not a great choice of 'other' cruise lines.

For those that like dressing up, fine, no problems, you can dress up all you like.
For those who prefer a more relaxed experience there is not the same option.

And for those who say 'go to the buffet', why should anyone miss out on their sit-down waiter-served dinner? The food won't taste any different and the evening's experience will be exactly the same no matter what anyone is wearing. And on Arcadia it is not possible to do the syndicate quiz in casual gear on formal nights.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
sadgit2 wrote:
Oh for goodness sake, not again! You can enjoy everything about a cruise apart from the formal nights, one of the big drawbacks is all the pretentious dressing up. Everything else about the cruise is fine. I know perfectly well what the dress code is: I just don't happen to like it. Despite what some people maintain there is not a great choice of 'other' cruise lines.

For those that like dressing up, fine, no problems, you can dress up all you like.
For those who prefer a more relaxed experience there is not the same option.

And for those who say 'go to the buffet', why should anyone miss out on their sit-down waiter-served dinner? The food won't taste any different and the evening's experience will be exactly the same no matter what anyone is wearing. And on Arcadia it is not possible to do the syndicate quiz in casual gear on formal nights.
I accept we will never agree on this QB but I have the same right to my opinion as you do. Cruises are not pick and mix. They are a complete package which you can choose to buy or not. Of course you can opt out of parts if you want to. But you have no right to spoil it for those who have chosen it because they want the whole deal. If they have booked a cruise with the promise of formal nights it is entirely reasonable to expect to spend those nights with like minded people and not have to put up with others turning up in casual wear. It is not unreasonable to expect those preferring a casual experience to use the casual dining options on those nights. And you may not get it but for many of us who do enjoy the formality of the black tie nights it does spoil it if others are in polo shirts. It is not just about the food.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

"Anticipated Ambience" Anyone ?

QBob get a bloody dinner suit and stop moaning, its only 2-3 nights a year, hardly a trial by fire :-)
Nihil Obstat

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Dark Knight wrote:
Yeh, I'll have some of that. :thumbup:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

thought you might

another cruise myth ;-)
Nihil Obstat

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

If you was sofistikated like wot FB is yoo'd understand...

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

The converse is equally true ... why should anybody have to dress up on a P&O Cruise that is offered to them with ' suggested ' dress codes. There's nothing at all in the T 'n' C's about dressing up to please Merv and his good Lady.

:wtf:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Manoverboard wrote:
The converse is equally true ... why should anybody have to dress up on a P&O Cruise that is offered to them with ' suggested ' dress codes. There's nothing at all in the T 'n' C's about dressing up to please Merv and his good Lady.

:wtf:
If you look closely at most P&O cruises and at the results of a recent survey I think you'll find it is more than we two who enjoy dressing up. However, you're right. It is only suggested and not in the Ts and Cs. But I don't think there's anything specific in the Ts and Cs about not swimming naked in the pool either!

So let's stop mucking about and make it compulsory with those who turn up in football shirts and tatty jeans made to walk the plank. :thumbup:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Change to Dress Codes

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Dark Knight wrote:

QBob get a bl**dy dinner suit and stop moaning, its only 2-3 nights a year, hardly a trial by fire :-)
I've had one for 15 years or so now. I bought it for the reunion dinners at my Cambridge college and for the cruises that we started to do. We've now been to over a 100 formal nights on cruises and I can't say that we enjoyed any of them, but if you want to eat in the MDR then the uniform is compulsory. It actually works out at over 10 nights a year for us, especially when the bu**ggers have 6 formals on a 17 night cruise. Once a week is more than enough for anybody, surely?

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Not sure why there is so much negative comment about formal attire on cruise black tie nights, to quote DaiB on another forum a DJ is a great leveller, so no one should feel out of place.
I have to admit that I was reluctant to buy a DJ at first but, eventually my wife persuaded me and I now have to confess that I do feel rather smart when wearing it.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I don't see it as any great deal-breaker either towny. If eating in the MDR is important to you and you don't want to wear a DJ just put on a dark suit and a tie.
Aren't I correct in believing NCL don't do formal nights, also Seabourn, and RCI's interpretation of formal was very loose. There are alternatives out there.
Now that dress codes have been dumbed down in many places cruising is one of the few opportunities to wear a DJ and whatever anyone says it does make the nights special.
I also think there are some, on formal nights, who like to make a point - 'nobody tells me what to wear' - and deliberately dress down to something not even approaching smart. On one cruise there was a chap who wandered around on formal nights in what could only best be described as combat gear. Formal? Combat gear? Ah well, c'est la vie!!!

davecttr
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by davecttr »

It is reported elswhere that Aurora currently has about 40% dressing formally. Apparently the rest are aussies!. Did the formal lovers not realise they were going to australia.

I see P&O is confused as well. They indicated that the formal bar on Britannia was the glass house! Yet on the web site they state that the Glasshouse is a nice INFORMAL bar. Apparently the glasshouse does not work as it is an 'escape' route from the theatre. nothing like a thundering stampede of cruisers making a dash for the live lounge.

bite the bullet P&O, be sensible and have the dress code applying to the mdr's only.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”