For those that like to go with the crowd

Topics that are specific to cruising

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: For those that like to go with the crowd

Post by oldbluefox »

ITWA Travel Writer wrote:
No Merv, the real Barnett Formula is one Daimler for you and two Daimler's for me! :sarcasm:
................................ and you want roads to run them on? :lol:

ITWA Travel Writer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by ITWA Travel Writer »

No OBF that would be pointless since those in control have already closed down Aberdeen and we no longer have the fuel to put in them. Most importantly it is to ensure that they do not muck around with our piggy bank called the Barnett Formula.
John

Qui descendunt mare in navibus.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

You've got it all wrong Macbeth. I have no Daimler. A Bentley, an Aston Martin and a Range Rover yes, but I couldn't afford a Daimler as well as supporting Krankie and Shrek.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
You've got it all wrong Macbeth. I have no Daimler. A Bentley, an Aston Martin and a Range Rover yes, but I couldn't afford a Daimler as well as supporting Krankie and Shrek.
:lol:

oldpoer
Cadet
Cadet

Post by oldpoer »

oldbluefox wrote:
If the Scots were that nice why did Hadrian build a wall to keep them out? :lol:
If you dislike Scottish people so much maybe scots should be banned from P&O ships and keep people like you happy

ITWA Travel Writer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by ITWA Travel Writer »

Oh for goodness sake don't put that idea into there heads! :shock: :shock:

It's taken us years to get PandO to berth in Edinburgh, Invergordon, the Northern Isles and Greenock. :thumbup:

Foxe's just miffed that we were able to get them to use our ports of call while his campaign to have them visit, Hull,Liverpool and to berth at the end of Blackpool Pier has not as yet been successful. :sick: :sick:
John

Qui descendunt mare in navibus.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

oldpoer wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:
If the Scots were that nice why did Hadrian build a wall to keep them out? :lol:
If you dislike Scottish people so much maybe scots should be banned from P&O ships and keep people like you happy
Lighten up Oldpoer ... :roll:

I thought that OBF's comment was just a bit of banter ... but ... that your response was deliberately rude.

;)

Regards Moby(Mod)Plod
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

oldpoer wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:
If OBF hadn't included the :lol:, you might have been sort of justified in your comment but as he very clearly made it tongue-in-cheek.... :shock: :cry:
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Maritqos
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Maritqos »

Manoverboard wrote:
oldpoer wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:

I thought that OBF's comment was just a bit of banter ... but ... that your response was deliberately rude.

;)

Regards Moby(Mod)Plod

Oh it seems that it is rules for some and not for the other on this forum. What was rude about Oldpoer's comment? Maybe you will get your wish and find cause to ban him them. I doubt if he would care!

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

oldpoer wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:
Who said I dislike Scots people? It's banter oldpoer, nothing more, nothing less. :roll:
Just for the record, living close to the border I often go up to Glasgow and Edinburgh and come across some of the friendliest people around whether it be on the buses, the Metro, hotels or in the shops.
Since I believe ITWA (our resident Scot) will understand the meaning of the :lol: I doubt he will have taken any offence.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi Martiqos

You will understand that l have to be seen to be impartial on this furom due to my very esteemed position as a mod plod. Anyhow just between you and me l actually didn't think oldpoer comment was rude either, in fact l agree with everything he/she said about banning Scots from P&O cruise ships....let's face it you can't understand a word they're talking about half the time anyway can you? :thumbup: :lol:

Regards....Moby(mod)Plod

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Keefy

Have you been demoted to a Modplod? who did you upset to be cast so low?
Nihil Obstat

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Maritqos wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:
oldpoer wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:

;)

Regards Moby(Mod)Plod

Oh it seems that it is rules for some and not for the other on this forum.
Not at all - once you've been on this forum a bit longer, and seen how we interact with each other, you'll find that anyone stepping out of line gets dealt with.

Maritqos wrote:
What was rude about Oldpoer's comment?
It was a totally unnecessary and inappropriate response to an obvious TIC comment.
Maritqos wrote:
Maybe you will get your wish and find cause to ban him them. I doubt if he would care!
Who said anything about banning him?
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Dark Knight wrote:
Keefy

Have you been demoted to a Modplod? who did you upset to be cast so low?

Naah!......l just wanted to see what it felt like to step into Moby modplods shoes having had him step into mine yesterday.....but you are right you have to start at the bottom to become a modplod....which l presume is why you like me refused the position :thumbup:

:wave:

Maritqos
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Maritqos »

Maritqos wrote:
What was rude about Oldpoer's comment?
It was a totally unnecessary and inappropriate response to an obvious TIC comment.
Maritqos wrote:
Maybe you will get your wish and find cause to ban him them. I doubt if he would care!
Who said anything about banning him?
This is what I mean about rules for one and not for the other, Oldpoers response is classed as inappropriate by YOU but all the other sniping on this forum is classed as banter. From one who doesn't post on this forum very often I am afraid all your so called banter comes across as sniping at each other.

My reply about banning Oldpoer was directly to Manoverboard, who has threatened him with a ban before, hence the comment about banning him.

NB ... The above statement is totally untrue

It is a great pity that so many threads are now ALL about banter! When I joined this forum a couple of years ago I got some really great information from the posters and all the threads back then were a pleasure to read and at that time there was still the banter between people but it was what I call real banter, funny and quick witted, not all the sniping at each other that I see now.

It seems to me that you dare not say

1) You actually enjoyed being on a P&O ship
2) That you are a Caribbean tier or higher with P&O
3) that you have been in a balcony cabin or even more shocking a Suite
4) that you have been on a Worldie
5) that you say you have actually tried more than one cruise line (ALL THIS IS CLASSED AS BRAGGING)

6) on and lastly for all you Scotophobes that you are Scottish (by the way I have many many English friends) and even more English neighbours who we all get on well with. I think it tells you something when in our street (in Scotland by the way) that almost 70% of our neighbours are English.

It does get a bit boring and offensive when you hear the same old "so called banter" about Hadrians wall, or you sit down at a table on a P&O ship and get the comment "oh there is a lot of Scottish on this ship" or if I am with my English friends "they get oh there are a lot of Northerners" on this ship. There are only 5.5 million of "us" a very small proportion of the whole of the UK so go do the maths..... I could not imagine myself sitting down at a table on ANY ship and saying "Oh there is a lot of English on this ship". Anyway I digress I do not really want to continue on the Scots/English thing! I think we have a lot more problems in the UK to worry about than just us lot! :lol:

I am quite sure that the people who mention any of these things are hard working people and are far from bragging about it, they are only stating a fact.

Anyway I will go now, I know you can say well don't read it, yes that is true, but sadly there are some GREAT people posting on this board and some who only want to post "banter" but it is difficult to read a thread and only read what is interesting and no the so called banter (sniping)! :lol: :lol:

No doubt I will be receiving a PM from MOB threatening me with a ban now.

This speculative comment is also untrue

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

It seems to me that you dare not say

1) You actually enjoyed being on a P&O ship - I love it
2) That you are a Caribbean tier or higher with P&O - wish I was
3) that you have been in a balcony cabin or even more shocking a Suite - can't afford a suite, wish I could
4) that you have been on a Worldie - one day ??????
5) that you say you have actually tried more than one cruise line (ALL THIS IS CLASSED AS BRAGGING) - tried others but prefer P&O

Shout it from the rooftops Maritqos :clap: :clap: :clap:
Empty vessels .. and all that

Maritqos
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Maritqos »

LOVE it Barney, that is the kind of banter that brings a smile to my face!

What I think of when I see all the banter/sniping is the saying

THE WAY PEOPLE TREAT YOU IS A STATEMENT
OF WHO THEY ARE AS A HUMAN BEING.
IT'S NOT A STATEMENT ABOUT YOU! :D

:wave:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Keefy
glad to see you have not gone over to the Dark side, as they say the cream rises to the top.
I am tired of OBF et al ,begging me to become a Modplod, I am far to lenient and happy go lucky to be banning people, for simply having an opinion. Even when I know they are wrong :-)
Nihil Obstat

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Maritqos wrote:

This is what I mean about rules for one and not for the other, Oldpoers response is classed as inappropriate by YOU but all the other sniping on this forum is classed as banter. From one who doesn't post on this forum very often I am afraid all your so called banter comes across as sniping at each other.
The difference between banter and your alleged sniping is that banter nearly always has an emoticon, which makes it obvious that it's a TIC comment.

Maritqos wrote:
My reply about banning Oldpoer was directly to Manoverboard, who has threatened him with a ban before, hence the comment about banning him.
But there was no mention of banning at this point.
Maritqos wrote:
It is a great pity that so many threads are now ALL about banter!
I beg to disagree. Some topics do go off at a tangent with some banter, but that's part of the fun.
Maritqos wrote:
When I joined this forum a couple of years ago I got some really great information from the posters [\quote]

Great information is still widely available.
Maritqos wrote:
and all the threads back then were a pleasure to read and at that time there was still the banter between people but it was what I call real banter, funny and quick witted, not all the sniping at each other that I see now.
I haven't noticed any difference.
Maritqos wrote:

6) on and lastly for all you Scotophobes that you are Scottish (by the way I have many many English friends) and even more English neighbours who we all get on well with. I think it tells you something when in our street (in Scotland by the way) that almost 70% of our neighbours are English.
I am Scottish (born in Glasgow, lived in Whitehill Street, just off Duke Street) and haven't noticed any Scotophobia
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Maritqos wrote:
... No doubt I will be receiving a PM from MOB threatening me with a ban now.
Maritqos .... you have mail, I respectfully suggest that you respond to it.

Regards Moby(Mod)
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Maritqos
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Maritqos »

I see that Manoverboard has moderated my post above in RED!!!! :D My goodness deary deary me! :D

I thought that the threat of issuing him with a warning under ruling 1b.... meant it was a threat to ban him. I never did read the Rules of the Cruise Community which I suppose is remiss of me, as I really didn't intend to post all that much.

:wave: :wave: :wave:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

if you don't read the rules , how can you stretch them to within an inch of breaking point? Rookie mistake Maritqos :-)
Nihil Obstat

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Re 'banter' and 'sniping'

I like a laugh as much as the next person, and I read posts on here that I find entertaining and/or amusing and informative

However, I find some of the 'laddish banter' on here to be a bit much, so I skim over those posts.

Although the people bantering with each other are clearly having the time of their lives, to other people, who may not be in the Boys Banter Club, some of the comments may appear near to the mark, if not offensive.

I think we all know people in real life, usually Jack the Lad types who reckon they can say anything they want under the guise of banter, and if anyone gets upset, they claim they were only joking ('it's only banter innit, luv')

Whilst I wouldn't want to spoil anybody's fun, sometimes I wish the banter was toned down a little - that consideration was given to all users of the board.

I also find it quite annoying when an on topic comment is completely ignored, drowned in a sea of banter.
Gill

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

In fairness, Gill, most of the banter occurs when a topic is dying on its feet, when all the questions have been answered and there's nothing much more to be said. As an example this topic has gone way off line. I can think of no requests for information which nobody has answered, although some queries are so erudite the most seasoned cruisers would struggle. However they still get a response.
Most of the banter comes from those who frequent the forum most often and whilst you may find it irritating, the banter is coming from those who are basically keeping the forum going. More often than not (but not always) it is they who welcome new members, who offer advice and information and they who raise new topics for others to discuss. It is only natural they are the ones with the highest profile and it is only natural they have come to know each other well.
i understand your frustration so what to do about it? What we really need are others who are proactive and will also raise topics, ask questions, answer queries, report on their holidays etc., ie add their own contributions to the forum. The solution is in your hands.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Gill W wrote:
Re 'banter' and 'sniping'

I like a laugh as much as the next person, and I read posts on here that I find entertaining and/or amusing and informative

However, I find some of the 'laddish banter' on here to be a bit much, so I skim over those posts.

Although the people bantering with each other are clearly having the time of their lives, to other people, who may not be in the Boys Banter Club, some of the comments may appear near to the mark, if not offensive.

I think we all know people in real life, usually Jack the Lad types who reckon they can say anything they want under the guise of banter, and if anyone gets upset, they claim they were only joking ('it's only banter innit, luv')

Whilst I wouldn't want to spoil anybody's fun, sometimes I wish the banter was toned down a little - that consideration was given to all users of the board.

I also find it quite annoying when an on topic comment is completely ignored, drowned in a sea of banter.

I'm inclined to agree with you Gill.

The forum seems to have gone down hill a bit lately and lost it's jovial tone in place of snide remarks. I'm not one to spread rumours you understand, but I blame DK. :o Wash my mouth out, who said that :shock: :)

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”