For those that like to go with the crowd

Topics that are specific to cruising

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: For those that like to go with the crowd

Post by Dark Knight »

Unless you are a he , Gill, then its not you, you didn't copy in the end of the comment ?
Nihil Obstat

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I was just illustrating how banter can be misunderstood, that's all
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I'm sure I am among those who can be accused of banter and if so accused I must plead guilty. :thumbdown:

However, I must echo the thoughts of others. I come here quite often because I consider myself to be among friends. Selfishly I don't come because I have a crusading zeal to answer the queries of the less experienced cruising members.

However, while I am here enjoying a bit of a knockabout with my mates I do, from time to time, offer what are hopefully serious comments and responses to those seeking advice and help. I hope the latter goes someway to mitigate the former. :thumbup:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

From a Moderation point of view it is a very fine line.

Do we sensor all the posts that are, or contain, banter within all Topics or just those within Cruise Specific Topics ... or some other formula that we would collectively never agree on.

This was something that I reasoned for on the old P&O site -1 and yet the idea got shouted down by those who claimed that censorship is taboo. What they actually meant was " Do not allow banter in those topics that I am personally interested in but it is ok in all the others." We are all interested in different Topics however.

Gill makes a very valid point but if we enforced it the site would be bereft of posters ... as Ken used to say " Be careful what you wish for ".

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I'm all for people enjoying a laugh and a joke, and I wouldn't like to see heavy censorship on the forum.

But, I still think that, sometimes, some of the comments get very close to the line, and are nearer snipes than jokes, and to my mind it's not a very nice sort of banter.

I will continue to skim over things that don't interest me, so there's no need to stop on my account, but there will no doubt be people who miss the joke in the banter, and it'll all turn a bit unpleasant.
Gill

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Gill W wrote:
I do contribute to this forum, I comment on threads, help people if I can, and always post my cruise reviews - if OBF hasn't noticed me doing that, then maybe I've just been lost in the banter. I'll try harder
You do contribute to the forum Gill. Sorry if it was misunderstood but my comment was a general comment that if we want to encourage more debate rather than banter we need more people posting threads which promote that debate.
Oddly enough the one area which has not attracted one post in almost 18 months is the 'Ladies that Chat' thread and the last one to post in that was me!!!

Further to what Mob says we do try to take a light touch to moderation. I tend to leave things alone just as long as no posts are deemed offensive to the recipient or offensive in their nature, and for so long as matters don't get out of hand. It is a bit of a tightrope act but, by and large, those who post on the forum appreciate the facility and work within the rules.
I would be very loathe indeed to crack down on banter as this is between people who have known each other for some time and could be considered friends. The banter exists only because they know each other and are confident no offence will be taken. When I see some of the sniping which goes on on other forums I know which I would rather have.

The Tinker
First Officer
First Officer

Post by The Tinker »

I think the mods do a really good job on here - as I pointed out the other day we can all interpret the written word differently and maybe take offense when no offense is made. The travel writer made comments which I didn't agree with/like and thought maybe near to the mark but he took this onboard and apologised and we all moved on - I guess the Forum is likened to the Houses of Parliament and they all go hammer and tongs at each other sometimes.

We are all intelligent adults (well almost!) and I think the mods who monitor our ramblings need a medal (or perhaps a Knighthood?)

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

oldbluefox wrote:
Gill W wrote:
I do contribute to this forum, I comment on threads, help people if I can, and always post my cruise reviews - if OBF hasn't noticed me doing that, then maybe I've just been lost in the banter. I'll try harder
You do contribute to the forum Gill. Sorry if it was misunderstood but my comment was a general comment that if we want to encourage more debate rather than banter we need more people posting threads which promote that debate.
Oddly enough the one area which has not attracted one post in almost 18 months is the 'Ladies that Chat' thread and the last one to post in that was me!!!

Further to what Mob says we do try to take a light touch to moderation. I tend to leave things alone just as long as no posts are deemed offensive to the recipient or offensive in their nature, and for so long as matters don't get out of hand. It is a bit of a tightrope act but, by and large, those who post on the forum appreciate the facility and work within the rules.
I would be very loathe indeed to crack down on banter as this is between people who have known each other for some time and could be considered friends. The banter exists only because they know each other and are confident no offence will be taken. When I see some of the sniping which goes on on other forums I know which I would rather have.
And there lies the reason why David chose you and Moby over me for the positions of moderator :clap:

Shame really as I love drawing with coloured pens...especially red ones :lol:

RB1961
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by RB1961 »

So Costa are getting 4 more ships... :sarcasm:

RB

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

RB1961 wrote:
So Costa are getting 4 more ships... :sarcasm:

RB
I'd completely forgotten about that! :lol:
Gill

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Dark Knight wrote:
Dear Keefy..the forum's Jiminy Cricket
I apologise wholeheartedly if my comments on this thread have offended you. I will try to be more accepting of other people's views in future and will moderate my responses accordingly, except in the case of that Essex chav, who deserves all he gets :-)
The Northern fish are biting well today. ;)

ITWA Travel Writer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by ITWA Travel Writer »

My serious bit!! :sarcasm:

Well guys and gals, this forum is full of some exceptional information to help and inform all levels of cruise enthusiast, but you have to search deeply in order to find it.

This was the main reason why both Peter D and myself asked our illustrious administrator if there was anyway, by utilizing an index style file database structure, to make it easier to find information. Such a great resource as this forums database could be a wonderful asset to all.

As regards the banter, I like a lot of the punters on here can be as guilty as others. However, some of you who may recall my initial post when I returned to the forum after the onset of my health problems in which I told you about being unable to see the screen to read what was going on. My dear Lady Macbeth and my daughter read out to me all the unread posts (great little feature David) and I admitted that the humor helped to pass away some of those very dark hours, days and weeks.

Most of the banter should probably appear in the "General Chat" pages and probably does, but there will always be occasions when the way some new posts are written, on purpose or not, which just open themselves up to banter without really trying.
John

Qui descendunt mare in navibus.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

oldbluefox wrote:

If you want heavy-handed, unaccountable moderation, go to the BBC HYS forum :( :thumbdown:
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Topic author
Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Wow, just back from a few days away and had a read. Any how Costa is going to get two ships that can take 6600, that is a lot ,just saying.

No No No , don't start all that again

Ray
Don't worry, be happy

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Getting them is one thing. Filling them is another. And staying afloat yet another..... Just, yeh you know. :sarcasm:

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

It's the embarkation/disembarkation timings that concern me...
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Must be a bu99er at tender ports too ?!

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Probably one step away form not docking at all and the ship itself being the destination
Nihil Obstat

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

They'll just anchor the ship in the Caribbean and/or Med and tow the islands to it.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”