P&O's great British sailaway

Topics that are specific to cruising

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: P&O's great British sailaway

Post by Stephen »

Dark Knight wrote:
As pensioners are on benefits anyway , Towny, Stephen is quite right to flaunt his status as a benefit sloth and a drain on the taxpayer, so I have no issue with him flying his chav flag, after all he is an Essex boy

And proud of it.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I don't mind being a drain on the economy now I get my state pension. I've paid enough into the system over the years, and continue to do so in tax on my company pension. I'll have to live to about 150 before I'm a nett beneficiary.

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Dark Knight wrote:
As pensioners are on benefits anyway , Towny, Stephen is quite right to flaunt his status as a benefit sloth and a drain on the taxpayer, so I have no issue with him flying his chav flag, after all he is an Essex boy
I as a pensioner do not class my pension as a benefit, it is something I paid into for 50 years and I and all other (contributed) pensioners are entitled to it. If we lived in the U.S.A. or some countries in Europe we would have a better pension but our scheme is raped by the scroungers who fraud the benefits system.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
I'll have to live to about 150 before I'm a nett beneficiary.
Not long to go, then, Merv !

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Raybosailor wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:
I as a pensioner do not class my pension as a benefit, it is something I paid into for 50 years and I and all other (contributed) pensioners are entitled to it. If we lived in the U.S.A. or some countries in Europe we would have a better pension but our scheme is raped by the scroungers who fraud the benefits system.

:thumbup: :clap:
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Ray Scully wrote:
Is this a Marmite event?
I steer clear of it, but many thoroughly enjoy it. Friends new to P&O who I would have thought it a little too low brow for them found it extremely enjoyable.

Ray
I suppose the first couple were O.K but there's only so much you can take of "Roll out the barrel" and "My old man said follow the van" so we don't do it any more.

Still, harmless enough for those who enjoy it and, no doubt, good for sales of sparkling wine.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Not heard those two for a while Kaymar.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Not heard those two for a while Kaymar.

Have they stopped doing them, Merv? Maybe we should go to another sailaway. :)

bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

Gibraltar is good fun when the flotilla of small boats follow the ship from harbour

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

We like to go to the odd sailaway and as some have said it is just a bit of fun. I agree what Gill W said , people should not over analyse it too much .
I too draw the state pension but do not have a problem with that, what with good old DK slogging away out there to keep it topped up.

Ray
Don't worry, be happy

Lollie
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Lollie »

Seen one, seen them all, depends where we are, what other options there are and the weather on the day but we do not go every time mainly because it is just exactly the same every time. It is however something that the majority seem to enjoy and that is what cruising is about, things to suit all.

Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

We quite like the great British sailaway and sometimes attend. This year it was sunny so we did go and it was lovely to see the children really enjoying it. Some of them were dressed in red ,white and blue outfits, one little girl even had a Union Jack bikini ! The babies were waving their flags , even though they obviously don't understand what it is all about, and all the old 'uns were singing along to rule Britannia etc. it's nice to see people being a bit patriotic for a change.

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

It really depends on where we are. There are places in the world where participating in the sail-away is a must and others we will wander on the top decks just looking out & saying a fond farewell to the port we have just visited. On world cruises they can be quite emotional especially those in Australia & New Zealand where many passengers are saying goodbye to family & friends as we have on many occasions. I go to some of the sail away parties but I have to be in the mood & or I'll chat to passengers to find out what they did ashore.
All in all its a bit to fun and there are plenty of other places on the ship to escape it.
Looking forward to our next cruise in Oct/Nov to enjoy the party.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”