P&O offer 5% discount for HSBC advance A/c holders

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

P&O offer 5% discount for HSBC advance A/c holders

Post by towny44 »

I have only just discovered that among the many organisations that P&O offer discounts to are HSBC Advance account holders,
This is available for most select bookings made direct with P&O, however any good TA will price match, especially for regular customers, in order not to lose a booking, and this discount should be in addition to most regular offers, although the terms do permit P&O not grant it against "special offers".
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: P&O offer 5% discount for HSBC advance A/c holders

Post by GillD46 »

what about HSBC Premier Accounts?
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

' Premium Account Holders ' with the Banks may be subjected to change in the coming months, only those who have £50K or more held in funds managed by their Bank will qualify for existing benefits. Those that do not qualify will be offered a revised package.

Barclays have already announced it, others will doubtless follow.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

HSBC did that a couple of years ago.
Gill

Big Bob
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Big Bob »

I am sorry to rain on this Parade. Neither P&O nor HSBC are in the business of giving a free lunch so as an old cynic I would be looking to find where I am paying for this discount. It must be in excess fees or having to keep a minimum amount in a low/no interest account or maybe loss of OBC. The likelihood is you are being charged 10% somewhere to get 5%. Sorry I do not believe in free lunches where this sort of organisation is concerned.

Topic author
towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Big Bob wrote:
I am sorry to rain on this Parade. Neither P&O nor HSBC are in the business of giving a free lunch so as an old cynic I would be looking to find where I am paying for this discount. It must be in excess fees or having to keep a minimum amount in a low/no interest account or maybe loss of OBC. The likelihood is you are being charged 10% somewhere to get 5%. Sorry I do not believe in free lunches where this sort of organisation is concerned.
Sorry to burst your bubble but HSBC advance is a no charge account, and I certainly cannot see where I have paid for this discount in some other way.
John

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

' Premier ' Accounts are usually chargeable ... other Banking type Accounts have differing benefits to these.

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Our 'Premier' Barclays Account is free.

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

So is HSBC's

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

But you miss out on interest given by other banks. I gues its horses for courses. Some accounts give free travel insurance, some give interest on current account, some give cash back on purchases/ utility bills etc. I'm sure none of them do this at a loss. The important thing is not to miss out on something that is of value to you through inertia.
It's getting more difficult to have accounts with several providers as they are beginning to put obstacles in the wY e.g. Having a certain number of active direct debits each month. It may be that the banks are beginning to rein in their 'freebies'

ItsmeAnnC
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by ItsmeAnnC »

I have an HSBC Advance account and I pay £9.95 per month for it, so it is chargeable. I get travel insurance for us both and preferential interest rates on savings amongst other things. In the past I also had reduced mortgage interest rates. These accounts are changing in December when you will have to pay a minimum amount in per month. When that happens I will no longer be eligible for one. As it happens I booked a cruise on Friday through an agent and didn't know about this offer. They are now looking into it, but I doubt if it will be applied retrospectively, or if it is even applicable unless you book direct with P&O. I'm awaiting their response.

ItsmeAnnC
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by ItsmeAnnC »

Well, the response from Bolsover is that it cannot be applied retrospectively and that it is a "closed offer" - you have to request it - it will not be offered to you. John Lewis and NHS employees are also apparently entitled to the discount, but again, you have to request it.

Topic author
towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

ItsmeAnnC wrote:
I have an HSBC Advance account and I pay £9.95 per month for it, so it is chargeable. I get travel insurance for us both and preferential interest rates on savings amongst other things. In the past I also had reduced mortgage interest rates. These accounts are changing in December when you will have to pay a minimum amount in per month. When that happens I will no longer be eligible for one. As it happens I booked a cruise on Friday through an agent and didn't know about this offer. They are now looking into it, but I doubt if it will be applied retrospectively, or if it is even applicable unless you book direct with P&O. I'm awaiting their response.
Anne, Not sure why you are paying for your advance account, I just checked and the attached link clearly shows it is a no fee account.

http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/current-accounts/hsbc-advance
John

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

The £9.95 pcm is for the travel insurance, that used to be included in the fee.
Gill

ItsmeAnnC
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by ItsmeAnnC »

That's right. Mine is the original Advance account, not the new one. It is being discontinued in December, so I shall have to find alternative insurers.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”