Advice re Boarding

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
johnds
Second Officer
Second Officer

Advice re Boarding

Post by johnds »

I come in peace - not to start a war. ;) ;)
I dont want to discuss the pros and cons of the present arrangements, I just want some advice please.
We haven't sailed from Southampton since the new arrangements were introduced and I'm looking for advice from someone in similar circumstances to us who has done.

Our e-ticket says 3.00 p.m. but I know that that doesn't apply in our case.
We are in Carribean tier (Baltic next time) so entitled to board on arrival after 1.00 p.m.
However we travel by coach from Lancashire which has a boarding time of 2.30 p.m.
The bus ticket says "On arrival you will be issued with an embarkation card with your group clearly specified"
Does that mean that somewhere between the bus and the check in hall we will be given a boarding card or does it just mean the normal first stage check in.

So my real question is is it better to stick with the bus group or approach someone for priority boarding - in which case who?

Thanks for any advice you can give

John
John

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Re: Advice re Boarding

Post by qbman1 »

We have only done it as an independent but you are quite right about times. All we did was tip the wink to the lady handing out the embarkation cards and she shot us straight to the priority check-in with no need for a card. We were on board an in our cabin less than half an hour after arrival.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Just to add that these days the coaches have allotted arrival times so you may be "parked up" somewhere for a while, which will obviously impact on your actual arrival time at the terminal.

You don't say which terminal you are going from as the procedures are slightly different at each terminal.

Topic author
johnds
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by johnds »

Ventura 22/05/16 Ocean Terminal
John

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Not sure about the coaching arrangements but once you are in the terminal there will be someone at the desk at the top of the stairs to steer you in the right direction

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

That's an interesting point that Johnds brings up, so if you are a suite passenger or Caribbean tier or above using the free coach offer, then you lose out on your early embarkation entitlement, and your curly canapes.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

towny44 wrote:
That's an interesting point that Johnds brings up, so if you are a suite passenger or Caribbean tier or above using the free coach offer, then you lose out on your early embarkation entitlement, and your curly canapes.
His life will be ruined !!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

qbman1 wrote:
towny44 wrote:
Go straight to the compo desk.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
qbman1 wrote:
towny44 wrote:

At the very least. :thumbup:

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
qbman1 wrote:
towny44 wrote:
Now, that's a thought. If they had a dedicated compo desk on board it would save the poor sods on reception from taking so much stick from the whingers !

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

qbman1 wrote:
If they had a dedicated compo desk on board it would save the poor sods on reception from taking so much stick from the whingers
... and also put them out of a job!!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I have to say, I marvel at their patience in the light of some of the crap they have to take !

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

They could have a compo claim booth with a seat like the one on Graham Norton's tv show

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

What - tip the moaning buggers over the side ?!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

That's about it. Us exempted of course.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

We've never gone through the new system with P&O, but we know from regular departures at Ocean Terminal that there is always a person in uniform at the top of the escalators. We always used to simply tell her which level of accommodation we were in, or which loyalty tier applied, and she would direct us to the appropriate place to sit or check-in.

So, my advice would be ...... head for the top of the escalator, speak to the uniformed person just at that point, approach (if necessary) the couple of uniformed people sitting usually behind a couple of little desks just a few steps further on, get your group card (if necessary), and your health declaration forms - and then relax, enjoy and have a great cruise.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We went through the new system like a breeze back in December. Never been boarded so quick.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

What level are you Stephen? Was that steerage boarding or priority?

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

johnds wrote:
Ventura 22/05/16 Ocean Terminal
Ventura N614 now deps from Mayflower returning to Ocean.
Mel

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

johnds wrote:
I come in peace - not to start a war. ;) ;)
I dont want to discuss the pros and cons of the present arrangements, I just want some advice please.
We haven't sailed from Southampton since the new arrangements were introduced and I'm looking for advice from someone in similar circumstances to us who has done.

Our e-ticket says 3.00 p.m. but I know that that doesn't apply in our case.
We are in Carribean tier (Baltic next time) so entitled to board on arrival after 1.00 p.m.
However we travel by coach from Lancashire which has a boarding time of 2.30 p.m.
The bus ticket says "On arrival you will be issued with an embarkation card with your group clearly specified"
Does that mean that somewhere between the bus and the check in hall we will be given a boarding card or does it just mean the normal first stage check in.

So my real question is is it better to stick with the bus group or approach someone for priority boarding - in which case who?

Thanks for any advice you can give

John

Unless there are problems with boarding. As a coach passenger you will be checked in as soon as you arrive. I take it the coach is booked through P&O. If not play your Caribbean tier card.

Barb44
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Barb44 »

John - We cruised last year after the new arrangements. We are also Caribbean tier and travelled with Eavesway coaches, arriving at 2.30 pm. Just inside the terminal there was a lady with a clipboard and as we walked towards her she asked us if we had priority boarding. We said we were Caribbean tier and she took us to the front of the queue where a gentleman directed us to the next available check-in desk.
Barbara x

Topic author
johnds
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by johnds »

Thanks Barbara and all who had advice

John
John

stocktonmackem2
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by stocktonmackem2 »

I have a question regarding boarding. My husband is disabled and we use the assistance team. I am guessing we will be given a 3:30 time slot but as we are staying overnight in southampton I would imagine we will go to the terminal earlier than 3:30. I am not expecting to be on first and we are quite happy to wait but how does the assistance work ?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

stocktonmackem2 wrote:
I am guessing we will be given a 3:30 time slot
It is impossible to guess the time slot as there does not appear to be any logic applied to allocating them.

In December those who needed assistance were being checked-in continuously and I don't think that "arrival" times applied. If you are in Southampton anyway, and you have to wait, then it does not make a lot of difference as to where you wait - and if you are at the terminal then there is always the possibility that you will get checked-in earlier than your allotted time.

stocktonmackem2
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by stocktonmackem2 »

david63 wrote:
stocktonmackem2 wrote:
I am guessing we will be given a 3:30 time slot
It is impossible to guess the time slot as there does not appear to be any logic applied to allocating them.

In December those who needed assistance were being checked-in continuously and I don't think that "arrival" times applied. If you are in Southampton anyway, and you have to wait, then it does not make a lot of difference as to where you wait - and if you are at the terminal then there is always the possibility that you will get checked-in earlier than your allotted time.
Thanks. I was guessing at 3:30 because we have had c deck for all of our cruises and it always seems to be that time. It was never a problem before but wasn't sure how things worked with assistance. As you say I might as well just wait in the terminal as its no fun wandering around for the sake of it.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”