Advice re Boarding

Topics that are specific to cruising

Barb44
Third Officer
Third Officer

Re: Advice re Boarding

Post by Barb44 »

John - We cruised last year after the new arrangements. We are also Caribbean tier and travelled with Eavesway coaches, arriving at 2.30 pm. Just inside the terminal there was a lady with a clipboard and as we walked towards her she asked us if we had priority boarding. We said we were Caribbean tier and she took us to the front of the queue where a gentleman directed us to the next available check-in desk.
Barbara x

Topic author
johnds
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by johnds »

Thanks Barbara and all who had advice

John
John

stocktonmackem2
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by stocktonmackem2 »

I have a question regarding boarding. My husband is disabled and we use the assistance team. I am guessing we will be given a 3:30 time slot but as we are staying overnight in southampton I would imagine we will go to the terminal earlier than 3:30. I am not expecting to be on first and we are quite happy to wait but how does the assistance work ?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

stocktonmackem2 wrote:
I am guessing we will be given a 3:30 time slot
It is impossible to guess the time slot as there does not appear to be any logic applied to allocating them.

In December those who needed assistance were being checked-in continuously and I don't think that "arrival" times applied. If you are in Southampton anyway, and you have to wait, then it does not make a lot of difference as to where you wait - and if you are at the terminal then there is always the possibility that you will get checked-in earlier than your allotted time.

stocktonmackem2
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

david63 wrote:
stocktonmackem2 wrote:
I am guessing we will be given a 3:30 time slot
It is impossible to guess the time slot as there does not appear to be any logic applied to allocating them.

In December those who needed assistance were being checked-in continuously and I don't think that "arrival" times applied. If you are in Southampton anyway, and you have to wait, then it does not make a lot of difference as to where you wait - and if you are at the terminal then there is always the possibility that you will get checked-in earlier than your allotted time.
Thanks. I was guessing at 3:30 because we have had c deck for all of our cruises and it always seems to be that time. It was never a problem before but wasn't sure how things worked with assistance. As you say I might as well just wait in the terminal as its no fun wandering around for the sake of it.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

stocktonmackem2 wrote:
I have a question regarding boarding. My husband is disabled and we use the assistance team. I am guessing we will be given a 3:30 time slot but as we are staying overnight in southampton I would imagine we will go to the terminal earlier than 3:30. I am not expecting to be on first and we are quite happy to wait but how does the assistance work ?

Assisted boarding is usually very speedy. It is limited only by the number of stewards assisting, BUT, as you will have registered as disabled, as will others who need assistance, then I'm sure that the cruise line will have taken numbers into account when staffing the terminal.

stocktonmackem2
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

wolfie wrote:
stocktonmackem2 wrote:

Assisted boarding is usually very speedy. It is limited only by the number of stewards assisting, BUT, as you will have registered as disabled, as will others who need assistance, then I'm sure that the cruise line will have taken numbers into account when staffing the terminal.
Thank you wolfie. You and David have put my mind at rest.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”