wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Oriana complete refit end November!

Post by wolfie »

Jan Rosser wrote:
qbman1 wrote:
david63 wrote:
Will they be adding more balconies in the refit?
Don't think there are any structural changes planned - it's just furnishings and decor
I've had a brochure thingy with all the details - colour schemes etc. - seems to be mostly cabin refurbishments and new decor in the dining rooms and public areas - I quote " the ultimate in comfort and relaxation". It will be ready for your trip at Christmas Cubie ;)
Seems that those annoying lights on the tables in the MDR will still be there. You can't have a conversation over them unless you are over 6 foot tall, IMO. :crazy:

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

At least you can hide from the photographers behind them !

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Gill W wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
My guess is that as she's now 21 years old this might be a final refit before sale in maybe 5 years. Interesting thing will then be to whom? Sale to a UK operator risks fans going with her but with the old Arcadia now in the C&M fleet there is clearly an appetite in such lines
A sale to CMV and sailing from Tilbury would be rather handy!
You mean Portishead, surely :sarcasm:
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

surely you mean Poole as we both think its a great ship our favourite and we would only have to go 1 mile to the docks much easier than going to southamton

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Batty would probably propose Hull....
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We live close to a canal. Any chance.....

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

none at all merv we have been on Oriana 6 times now and have never had a problem certainly never had any vibration I am beginning to think it is just the people who like the big ships (not us) who think it is clever to run her down as she is not the newest in the fleet.
luckily are next 2 cruises are on her really looking forward to them.
graham

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

We've never had a problem in our cabin because we book midships but have felt it in the dining room. But never bothered us and wouldn't put us off the ship at all.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

We felt no vibration either in the cabin or in the dining room...
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Which MDR were you in Shiney? We only felt it right at the back of the aft one.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Which MDR were you in Shiney? We only felt it right at the back of the aft one.

That's where we were, sir, almost at the centre of the rear wall.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We dined in the MDR at the stern of the ship and sometimes it was really noisy. Cutlery left on plates literally danced due to the vibration. We found it quite off-putting.Give me Aurora any time.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

When it comes to Oriana the old saying "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" springs to mind; even with new cabin and dining room furnishings she is still going to be an old tub.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

towny 44
please try and grow up a bit as we all know you like the big ships, but some of us do not like them at all.
I could easily say to you whats to like in a new big ship that has very small lifts and no stairway in the middle of the ship, but I realise that it is every bodies right to choose what size of ship suits them, our choice is Oriana or Aurora perfect sizes for us.

Not so ancient mariner
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Not so ancient mariner »

oldbluefox wrote:
We dined in the MDR at the stern of the ship and sometimes it was really noisy. Cutlery left on plates literally danced due to the vibration. We found it quite off-putting.Give me Aurora any time.

There is a background rumble, and the occasional buzz from the table lamp, but after a couple of days we got used to it and hardly noticed it. Aurora's dining room is quieter, yes, but the Harry Potter-esque layout of the invisible piano player, and having the entrance on deck 6½ does not work very well. When the performance in the show lounge directly above finishes, huge queues form on the staircase down to the MDR, as there's no point in going anywhere else for the 10 minutes or so before the MDR opens.

I enjoyed both ships. Aurora is better in some features, Oriana in others.

Not so ancient mariner
First Officer
First Officer

poole boy wrote:
towny 44
please try and grow up a bit as we all know you like the big ships, but some of us do not like them at all.
I could easily say to you whats to like in a new big ship that has very small lifts and no stairway in the middle of the ship, but I realise that it is every bodies right to choose what size of ship suits them, our choice is Oriana or Aurora perfect sizes for us.

Agreed.

Not so ancient mariner
First Officer
First Officer

screwy wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
My guess is that as she's now 21 years old this might be a final refit before sale in maybe 5 years. Interesting thing will then be to whom? Sale to a UK operator risks fans going with her but with the old Arcadia now in the C&M fleet there is clearly an appetite in such lines

Please replace her with a Vista class and not another huge thing. Oh, and call it Canbera...!!

Better still: Canberra

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

towny44 wrote:
When it comes to Oriana the old saying "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" springs to mind; even with new cabin and dining room furnishings she is still going to be an old tub.
poole boy wrote:
towny 44
I'm fully grown Poole boy and quite entitled to my opinion, although I have never sailed on Oriana it does not appeal to me one bit, only expensive de-luxe balcony cabins available, and a lot less entertainment venues and bars than the big girls have. In my defense my comments cannot be denied, she is old and with the vibrations, regular toilet blockages and engine failures I think my description seems fairly accurate.
But if you and all her other defenders like her then I am happy for you.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Not so ancient mariner wrote:
screwy wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:

Please replace her with a Vista class and not another huge thing. Oh, and call it Canbera...!!

Better still: Canberra
With the joys of shared bathrooms and toilets down the corridor? No thanks!

anton_l
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by anton_l »

Please replace her with a Vista class and not another huge thing. Oh, and call it Canbera...!![/quote]

I'm not sure P&O is ready for a new Canberra, at least not until the 'it wasn't like this on Canberra' crowd are no longer cruising[/quote]

Subtle![emoji40]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

towny44 wrote:
towny44 wrote:
poole boy wrote:
towny 44
I'm fully grown Poole boy and quite entitled to my opinion, although I have never sailed on Oriana it does not appeal to me one bit, only expensive de-luxe balcony cabins available, and a lot less entertainment venues and bars than the big girls have. In my defense my comments cannot be denied, she is old and with the vibrations, regular toilet blockages and engine failures I think my description seems fairly accurate.
But if you and all her other defenders like her then I am happy for you.
To be entirely fair to both of you, it really is a case of personal preference and I can see both sides. We're tending towards bigger ships for the range of facilities and choice. However we were frustrated with the bonkers lifts on Britannia. Not so much size as programming so they would stop short of the deck we were waiting on and go back the way they'd come. But we too like a balcony which are in short supply on Oriana, and most ships of her age. But she looks a lot prettier than the modern "blocks of flats". All ships use similar small bore vacuum toilet systems so all are prone to blockage when idiot passengers try to flush stuff they're not designed for. And all ships have mechanical failures from time to time (dare I say including even Calamity). So there's no right nor wrong, though we can all try to justify our choice.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Well said sir.

Sorry if i spelt Canberra wrong. Some people, so picky....!
Mel

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

A very sensible post merv we have had 5 balcony cabins but found we did not use them enough so we now always book outside cabins and spend a lot of time up top,
as far as entertainment goes we are happy to see one show a day usually the late show 10.30 as we always find plenty to do on board in the day but as I said before everybody is at liberty to choose what is right for them.
graham

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
We've never had a problem in our cabin because we book midships but have felt it in the dining room. But never bothered us and wouldn't put us off the ship at all.
A bit of vibration in the middle of the night is not necessarily a bad thing !!

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

qbman1 wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
A bit of vibration in the middle of the night is not necessarily a bad thing !!

Some people prefer their cocktails stirred, not shaken....
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”