We've been given an upgrade !

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
allatc
First Officer
First Officer

We've been given an upgrade !

Post by allatc »

Hey, we've been given an upgrade on our forthcoming Oriana cruise.

I think we have an extra two square feet and possibly a window above the water line.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: We've been given an upgrade !

Post by Stephen »

Nice one. Do the crew know your sharing ;) :thumbup:

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

The last time we had an "upgrade" I use the term loosely, the cabin was about 5 cabins from the one we had booked. We now opt out of the free upgrade if we have booked a select fare.
I hope your one is better and you enjoy it.

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

we have been on Oriana and aurora enough times now to know what cabins we like so always book these and turn down the offer of an upgrade :D

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

What are you going to do with all that extra space ?

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

This thread has made me think about our trip on Ventura in December. We selected cabin E218 but said yes to an upgrade. Looking at the deck plan, we chose it because it seemed to have a space outside of our window to be able to look straight ahead although there are lifeboats either side so wouldn't be able to see to the sides. I accept that the deck plans can be a bit iffy.

The only disadvantage with cabin E218 is that it is slightly forward and I am hoping we might get moved more midships. Having said that, we were virtually midships (near Reception) on the Arcadia last Christmas and I felt very queasy during the rough trip we had down to the Canaries.

So decisions, decisions. Do we ask the TA to change our choice to no upgrade and hope we have a view or do we continue with yes to an upgrade?

Maureen

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Having experienced a ridiculous "upgrade" to what we considered a much inferior cabin right next to the glass lifts on Arcadia a few years back, we now always opt out. The problem is, they don't actually give you the choice to say "yes" or "no" but present you with a fait accompli. It was pure chance I noticed we had been "upgraded" on Arcadia that time and had hell's-own game to get our original choice cabin back. But I did!

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

qbman1 wrote:
The problem is, they don't actually give you the choice to say "yes" or "no"
You do at the time of booking

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Yes, I know that, but I meant that if you are subsequently given an upgrade (or downgrade) it is a done deal and you don't get a choice to refuse.

Apologies if my use of English is not up to the mark!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Bl**dy foreigner

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We choose the cabin we want and can little point in letting a P&O oik change it for one that we don't want ... it is however a good plan to select the upgrade option if booking an inside or a Mini Suite ... imo.

:thumbup:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Kenmo1 wrote:
on the Arcadia last Christmas

This should have said Oceana. Trouble is, we keep swopping about with ships so I can never remember what the cabins are like on each one. I can remember having quite a big floor to ceiling obstructed view cabin window a few years ago on Arcadia on floor E and that was quite good especially as the lifeboat was lowered a couple of days for maintenance. However, I know when we went to Dubai on Arcadia last year we said yes to an upgrade and we ended up with a small outside window on floor G and we didn't feel it was as good as having the part obstructed window on floor E which we had originally paid for.

I've just looked up the obstructed windows for Ventura on the PO site and E218 isn't listed. I checked out E217 which is across on the other side from us and the windows are only small.

We tend to pay the cheapest possible cabin in any grade in the hope that we get upgraded - sometimes we win, sometimes we lose.

The cruise we are going on in December to the Canaries is from 5th to 17th December and I would be surprised if it will be fully booked so the chances of an upgrade should be good. We have talked about it and Ken wants to stick with an upgrade so I will have to take my chances with seasickness and take my Stugeron a lot earlier and not wait until I am feeling yuck.

I guess we will pay our money and take a chance.

Maureen

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Manoverboard wrote:
it is however a good plan to select the upgrade option if booking an inside or a Mini Suite
I would say that it is a good idea to select the upgrade option if you have booked the top grade of that type of cabin as any upgrade will be to a better cabin type - albeit not necessarily in as good a location on the ship. However if the booking is not for the top grade of that type of cabin then there is little point opting for the upgrade option as you will only get another cabin of the same type which will, in all probability, not be in as good a location on the ship

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We tend to look carefully at the deck plan to see what we might get given and where the next grade up are located. Generally we are wary of someone else's view of what might be a better cabin and say no to the upgrade option.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

One cabin grade up is usually more towards midships which may mean a restricted view or, in the case I mentioned earlier, a prime viewing spot of the balcony from the glass lifts! Neither really qualify as an "upgrade" in my view

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Yes if we're on Arcadia we stay a couple of cabins away from the lifts and would be really miffed it we moved nearer to them. Of course if you go up a whole cabin type it can mean a fore or aft move, say from a midships standard balcony on Aurora to a deluxe balcony right up the front.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Again, that wouldn't do at all on Oriana - we've had a ride up the back there before ! All in all, I think the consensus is best to opt for not automatic upgrades !

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

david63 wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:
it is however a good plan to select the upgrade option if booking an inside or a Mini Suite
I would say that it is a good idea to select the upgrade option if you have booked the top grade of that type of cabin as any upgrade will be to a better cabin type - albeit not necessarily in as good a location on the ship. However if the booking is not for the top grade of that type of cabin then there is little point opting for the upgrade option as you will only get another cabin of the same type which will, in all probability, not be in as good a location on the ship
Agreed, that is what I meant to say :wtf:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”