Sunbeds

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Sunbeds

Post by oldbluefox »

Just seen on Facecloth that at long last something is being done about sunbed saving. Apparently the scheme is in place on Oceana and will hopefully be rolled out across the fleet.There's nothing more annoying when you're looking to find somewhere to sit than to walk past loungers occupied by library books etc and nobody sat on them.
We once spent an afternoon sat at the stern of Aurora next to a table and chairs occupied by a book, sunglasses, towels etc. We were there 2-3 hours and not a soul occupied them. About 5.00pm somebody appeared from one of those aft cabins and removed all their belongings. I presume if you book an aft cabin you are entitled to a super large balcony as well to use as and when you wish?

14705860_719027891584045_2305913192939938950_n.jpg

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Sunbeds

Post by Meg 50 »

hope it works!

I've watched folks bagging 2 loungers - one in the sun and one 'for later' in the shade!
Meg
x

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Meg 50 wrote:
hope it works!

I've watched folks bagging 2 loungers - one in the sun and one 'for later' in the shade!
That's outrageous Meg, Oh hang on a minute I have done that in the past. :shh:
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Hooligan .

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Although there were continual notes about sunbed "hogging" in the Horizon a few weeks ago on Azura there was nothing being done about it - having said that there was no real problem with sunbeds not being available

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

It will only work if it's continually enforced.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I must admit that we've never had a problem with this as we like to relax where everyone else is not.

Why folk want to cram in around the pool when they could walk a few yards for peace and tranquility is beyond me.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Agree barney. I hate being hemmed in with sunbeds , especially with a gobby Northerners all around ;)

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote:
Agree barney. I hate being hemmed in with sunbeds , especially with a gobby Northerners all around ;)
No need for that Stephen, I don't object to having lippy Essex chavs sharing the same sunbed space with me.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I would. Nothing worse than having a boy racer and his white stiletto sort giving it large round the pool :D

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We're not keen on joining the seal colony up top or around the pool and prefer the shade of the promenade deck (just in case our Factor 50 sun block packs up working!). However you can walk around the prom deck past plenty of 'reserved' sunbeds. Hopefully P&O do roll this out across the fleet and give everybody a chance for a sit wherever they like.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I appreciate this is a move in the right direction but I'm not so sure it will work.

Ok, so the p*ssed off sunbed hoggers will be asked to collect their belonging from wherever.....

Thank you..."but where is my wrist watch and I phone" asks the hogger...sorry Sir/Madam we didn't remove such items.....from which point the pantomime begins...Oh yes you did ....Ohhh no we didn't.....

It would only take a few discruntled hoggers to cause the cruise line a whole lot of trouble having to investigate each complaint.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Thank you..."but where is my wrist watch and I phone" asks the hogger.. If you were stupid enough to do that then it only takes the opportunist to pass by and it's gone. But I know what you are saying Onelife.
Don't worry, be happy

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

oldbluefox wrote:
We're not keen on joining the seal colony up top or around the pool and prefer the shade of the promenade deck (just in case our Factor 50 sun block packs up working!). However you can walk around the prom deck past plenty of 'reserved' sunbeds. Hopefully P&O do roll this out across the fleet and give everybody a chance for a sit wherever they like.

Thank gawed for that. I can stop having to get up a t 4.30 every morning to get me towel down and have a lie in :D

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I've never found it a problem to get a sunbed when crossing the Bay of Biscay in the middle of December !!

Capt Black
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Capt Black »

Onelife wrote:
I appreciate this is a move in the right direction but I'm not so sure it will work.

Ok, so the p*ssed off sunbed hoggers will be asked to collect their belonging from wherever.....

Thank you..."but where is my wrist watch and I phone" asks the hogger...sorry Sir/Madam we didn't remove such items.....from which point the pantomime begins...Oh yes you did ....Ohhh no we didn't.....

It would only take a few discruntled hoggers to cause the cruise line a whole lot of trouble having to investigate each complaint.
That's where small digital video camera operated by security staff videoing the removal and bagging of items is used. Only shown after false accusation of theft. Then followed by lying sunlounger bagging miscreants being chucked off at next port of call for troublemaking. :twisted:

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Capt Black wrote:
Onelife wrote:

That's where small digital video camera operated by security staff videoing the removal and bagging of items is used. Only shown after false accusation of theft. Then followed by lying sunlounger bagging miscreants being chucked off at next port of call for troublemaking. :twisted:
Hi Capt Black....not sure if what you have posted is a suggestion or what is actually happening now? If this is what is happening then it sounds a good idea....however, l don't think l would like to see sunbed security walking round with head cams and I'm not so sure it would be acceptable rummaging through hoggers bags in an attempt to photo what they have inside?

Having said that it would only have to happen a few times before hoggers and would be hoggers got the message, so if the cruise line think they can get away with it then it gets the :thumbup: from me.

Regards

Keith

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I would charge the b****rs hoggers to get their belongings back!!!

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

oldbluefox wrote:
I would charge the b****rs hoggers to get their belongings back!!!
Personally I would throw them (belongings/hoggers - you choose :evil: ) overboard and make them swim to get them back

Capt Black
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Capt Black »

Hi Onelife,

Only a suggestion. Quite happy to sign up for the Security team and implement it though :)

bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

Who in their right mind would leave an I-phone or a Kindle on a sunbed? I said months ago that the joy of using a tattered paperback copy to reserve your space could not be duplicated using a Kindle, unless you had half-a-dozen such devices to lose.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

bassman67 wrote:
Who in their right mind would leave an I-phone or a Kindle on a sunbed? I said months ago that the joy of using a tattered paperback copy to reserve your space could not be duplicated using a Kindle, unless you had half-a-dozen such devices to lose.
Quite. I agree. Paperbacks will never disappear while there are sunbeds to bag! Anyone doing so deserves to lose it. And come to that be thrown of the ship for demonstrating terminal stupidity!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I am planning to take a full set of Encyclopaedia Britannica with me at Christmas so I can reserve a sunbed for every occasion !

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Better not be a fly cruise - think of the overweight luggage fee!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Christmas cruise and sunbed shortage don't often appear in the same sentence!

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”