Luxury Cruise ship on TV tonight

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Luxury Cruise ship on TV tonight

Post by Ray B »

Just a heads up as I know a few posters love cruising, but if you have not seen the listings for tonight, on ch5 at 21.00 is a one off of the most luxurious cruises ship on the high seas, Seven Seas Explorer. Enjoy, then do not all rush to book. 7 nights about £3500.
Don't worry, be happy

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Luxury Cruise ship on TV tonight

Post by Raybosailor »

Watched it but Forest were on Sky Sports 1 so had two screens going, what I did catch didn't impress me much. They had to change too many details to get the weight down for my liking so design calculations were way out of line.

How much more luxurious can cruise ships get ?, to be honest it didn't look that great to me.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We are away so have recorded :thumbup:

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Miss it, but will try and catch it later. Having cruised with Regent, who were superb, I'm interested in seeing this ship.
Gill

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Stephen wrote:
Anywhere nice Stephen ?

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Winchester (for the Christmas Market) and Southampton - or so he said yesterday

We recorded the programme too. I see it is one of two. Is it worth watching ?
Last edited by qbman1 on 03 Dec 2016, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

qbman1 wrote:
Is it worth watching ?
Not if you can find something better - such as the Idiot's Guide to Watching Paint Dry!

It all seemed a bit bland - OK it showed some technical bits about building a ship but nothing earth shattering and gave the impression that they started building the sip before they had finalised the design.

I can see where this is going though - there will be some "calamity" and it will be touch-and-go as to whether she is ready for her Maiden voyage.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Raybosailor wrote:
Stephen wrote:
Anywhere nice Stephen ?
As QB said Ray, two night at the Hilton Southampton and Winchester market with a couple of friends. Watched Ventura sail off this evening.

Bl**dy cold

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Stephen wrote:
Raybosailor wrote:
Stephen wrote:
Anywhere nice Stephen ?
As QB said Ray, two night at the Hilton Southampton and Winchester market with a couple of friends. Watched Ventura sail off this evening.

Bl**dy cold
Stephen
Hope you did better than us at the Ice Rink by the Cathedral. We went last Friday and all we saw was the machine going up and down cleaning up the ice. Mind you, we did better than those who went to Winchester on Saturday last week because they had a power cut and some of the shops had to be emptied. It would have messed up our Black Friday shopping completely.

With regard to the Seven Seas Explorer, all we could say was that we don't go on holiday for the accommodation so luxury makes no difference to us. All we want is the itinerary and some decent entertainment. We don't spend £8,000 pounds in a year on cruises never mind for a night :shock:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Ice ring was up and running with plenty of participation. Also fully booked. We got to the market at the right time because when we came out the queue to get in was horrendous, way Back past the cathedral. So if you're going to go get there early. To be honest I thought the market was pretty much the same thing all the way round. Wouldn't rush back.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote:
qbman1 wrote:
Is it worth watching ?
Not if you can find something better - such as the Idiot's Guide to Watching Paint Dry!

It all seemed a bit bland - OK it showed some technical bits about building a ship but nothing earth shattering and gave the impression that they started building the sip before they had finalised the design.

I can see where this is going though - there will be some "calamity" and it will be touch-and-go as to whether she is ready for her Maiden voyage.
TBH, I found the technical bits quite interesting, and looking forward to seeing more on the fitting out, especially the cabin pods.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

towny44 wrote:
TBH, I found the technical bits quite interesting, and looking forward to seeing more on the fitting out, especially the cabin pods.

Same here!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I got around to watching it last night. It was OK, but typical sensationalist documentary making ! All that cobblers about a "race against time" was purely for dramatic effect. I am sure the build was planned to the last second and the maiden scheduled accordingly. I agree that the interior fitting this week should be far more interesting

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Watched the second part last night and I cannot say that it was any improvement over the first part.

Whoever wrote the script had no idea what goes on.
  • They gave the impression that all of this was something new - not something that Fincantieri are doing all the time.
  • They made it sound as if the Captain only joined the ship as she was leaving the shipyard - not that he would have been involved for months before.
  • Apparently the crew only joined the ship 36 hours before her Maiden voyage!
The whole thing was just an advertising stunt.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Me too.

I suppose it you had absolutely no insight into the cruise ship industry it might have been an interesting watch with all that false jeopardy. I was disappointed that they really didn't show much of the fitting out and made far too much of the sea trials with a bunch of blokes with clipboards out on a jolly. Did they really all need those hard hats for the sailaway ?!

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

qbman1 wrote:
Did they really all need those hard hats for the sailaway ?
On the basis that it had been built in "half the normal time" then yes as there was every likelihood that bits would be falling off!!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Perhaps there'll be a "Life & Death" dramatic reconstruction of Oriana's re-fit on Channel 5 next ?!

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

qbman1 wrote:
Me too.

I suppose it you had absolutely no insight into the cruise ship industry it might have been an interesting watch with all that false jeopardy. I was disappointed that they really didn't show much of the fitting out and made far too much of the sea trials with a bunch of blokes with clipboards out on a jolly. Did they really all need those hard hats for the sailaway ?!
Me too Cubie, I wanted to see how extensively fitted, and how easily they slotted in the pre-fitted cabin sections, and how much effort it took to link them into the on board power, water and waste systems.
We saw very little of the finally fitted out ship, but it was interesting to note that they were still laying the carpet in the theatre as they were boarding the first passengers.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I thought it was quite interesting but would have liked to have seen more of the technical side.

Maybe they will do a follow up in a few years when the ship has been run down with Mike Brewer and Edd China doing a restoration.
Last edited by Kendhni on 18 Dec 2016, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

It didn't really fill me with the need to make a booking for this particular ship. They can boast until they are blue in the face about how many 'acres of marble' and how many so-called 'works of art' they've crammed into the ship - but that does nothing for me. Those are two big turn-offs for me - firstly I don't like walking in high heels on slippery marble floors, and secondly some of these paintings etc look as if they've been done by a drunken teenager in a storm force 11 with one hand tied behind them!

Yes, it would have been very interesting to see how the pre-fab units slotted together and linked in, but I'd have like to have had a good delve into stuff like storage space in cabins and bathroom design, and other design items specifically for the comfort of the passengers including space to move around (and especially for those who need assistance to get about), accessibility to stuff like the swimming pools, changing and showers for the swimming pools, open deck facilities, and balcony facilities.

Oh well, I can't see me using this particular cruise line - and this item on tv was much like watching paint dry.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”