"Captain's Lounge" Sailaway

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
qbman1
Captain
Captain

"Captain's Lounge" Sailaway

Post by qbman1 »

On Oriana this Christmas, they were offering "limited places" for passengers to participate in a sailaway from selected ports in the "Captain's Lounge", located directly under the bridge. The package cost £25 per head and included Prosecco, canapes and senior officers in attendance. We did not participate but, to my knowledge, it was only available on the sailaways from Funchal and Lisbon.

I would have thought that it might be worthwhile in places like Venice, New York and Sydney but, unless you have a fetish for mingling with the officers at every opportunity, I am not convinced it is for me.

We did speak to a couple who had done a similar thing out of Venice and they said the Prosecco kept coming until it came out of their ears and they had so many canapes they couldn't manage dinner !

Is this just an Oriana thing, or does anyone know of it being available on other ships ?

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Re: "Captain's Lounge" Sailaway

Post by Happydays »

This offer was available when we were on Ventura in May but we didn't take up the offer. We usually only go to the "Great British Sail away" as the individual quiz is on at the same time and my husband does like trying the quizzes!

Topic author
qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Happydays wrote:
This offer was available when we were on Ventura in May but we didn't take up the offer. We usually only go to the "Great British Sail away" as the individual quiz is on at the same time and my husband does like trying the quizzes!
Me too - I was devastated when I only managed to win one on Oriana. Mind you there were 2 or 3 "teams" regularly entering the "individual" quiz this time !!

I suppose the Captain's Lounge malarkey can only be available where there is a suitable room and I am not sure whether all the ships have one ? No doubt some knowledgeable soul will advise us. Still, I suppose it's another nice little earner for them.

colin parry
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by colin parry »

It was certainly available on Aurora in November when I went to the Med.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Our favourite sailaway treat is being invited to be on the ship's foredeck for sailaway. We've been lucky enough to have a couple of these, and either involving bubbly or hot soup - depending on the location and weather conditions. Our were straight invites - nothing to do with paying.

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

On Oceana at Christmas they had a raffle in aid of charity, the top prize was a visit to the bridge at eight bells and to announce the ships location over the PA, I never heard an announcement about the result of the draw, I only knew that someone had won it when a strange voice came over the address system next day.
As for the other prizes it remains a mystery, I would have thought that the result would have been published in the Horizon at least.

I'm not interested in the Captains Lounge, the canapes or the fizzy wine but I would pay to visit the bridge and engine room, strangely there was an invite for anyone to have a walk through the galley. Considering that Mrs. Nora Virus seems to be a regular visitor to P&O ships I think it is a bit of a risk inviting any old Tom, d**k or Harry through the kitchen at a time when we can't have salt & pepper pots on the tables.
Last edited by Raybosailor on 11 Jan 2017, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We have never been invited to the fore deck for sailaway, but have been invited to the bridge on several occasions, including the bridge wings which were great fun.
Gill

Topic author
qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I'm envious, I've never been invited anywhere, even into the public lavatories on board !!

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

qbman1 wrote:
I'm envious, I've never been invited anywhere, even into the public lavatories on board !!
Too much information :lol:

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

GillD46 wrote:
We have never been invited to the fore deck for sailaway, but have been invited to the bridge on several occasions, including the bridge wings which were great fun.
We've been so very lucky, and we are so grateful - we've had a couple of bridge invitations, special Captain's invitation afternoon tea, and a couple of fore deck invites for sailaway. The fore deck invites are our absolute favourite. When we did the bridge trips, OH would insist on standing on the plate glass floor bit on the bridge wing - and I felt distinctly ill at ease, as we were at sea at the time.

Topic author
qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

david63 wrote:
qbman1 wrote:
Too much information :lol:
We were invited to the Chief Engineer's cocktail party once, but it hardly compares with the invites Gill and Em have been lucky enough to receive. Bah !

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Ah yes, well - despite the fact that we've had numerous Cunard outings, never an invite or treat with them. The kindliness came from Celebrity. I'm not cruise-line bashing, just being informative. We also had to 'eat with the crew' on Celeb at the Capt's table, which was nicely done.

That meal started with drinks in what I think was Cellar Masters, and the female guests were each given a nicely presented red rose. Then we had to walk along to the MDR (lower floor), and then pose at the table for photos (which were another little gift), and then it was nosh time. There would have been after dinner drinks, too - except that we had other plans.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

A lot of our bridge invitations were when we dined at the Captan's table. Twice we were lucky enough to dine with the Captain and his wife - for the whole cruise each time - and then bridge visits were very frequent. We went to the Captain's quarters then for a very private party. Another time, one of the Captains was again on the ship, though we weren't in his table, and we bumped into his wife, so she invited us to the bridge because we had got on very well on the previous cruise, when we were dining with them.

We also went to the bridge when we renewed our vows and when we did a backstage tour.
Gill

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

It sounds like you have had some wonderful times. However, inasmuchas some folk like kippers and some don't, that much involvement with staff wouldn't 'float my boat'.

We do sometimes have a meal or two with cruisepals, but we prefer a table for two and peace and quiet when it comes to nosh time.
Last edited by Boris+ on 14 Jan 2017, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

I once said "hello" to one of the Headliners dancers

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Hasn't happened for years - we are not on the same cruise line these days. But it was fun at the time.
Last edited by GillD46 on 14 Jan 2017, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Best we can manage is that the Captain once asked if he could eat with us. Naturally we said yes

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

kaymar wrote:
Love it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maureen

bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

kaymar wrote:
Was that going in or out of the theatre?

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Both - I was just so lucky. 8-)

Topic author
qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

kaymar wrote:
Did I ever mention that we once had lunch with two of the Headliners' girls.........?!

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

qbman1 wrote:
kaymar wrote:
Did I ever mention that we once had lunch with two of the Headliners' girls.........?!
.........only in about 10% of your 11000 posts! :sarcasm:
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

That's OK then - I must look out the pictures !

Big Bob
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Big Bob »

Before Carnival this wa a standard treat for suite passengers. The Americans have clearly decided profit before customer experience

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”