Early 70's with pre existing conditions

TIA

Ray

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Travel Insurance Any recommendations

Post by david63 »

Direct Line are one of the better for those requirements - but you will have to speak with them. Do an online quote first then you will get your "online" discount.

Not sure how they are at paying up but will know in a few weeks, hopefully!

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I've just renewed (yesterday) for an annual policy with Cedar Tree Insurance who are part of AXA

I'm considerably younger than you Ray :D but needed to declare my knee replacement and it cost £73.00 for the two of us.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Saga have good coverage and excellent Customer communication skills if the pre-conditions are run of the mill but for the more serious / expensive ones I would advise that you research ' Insurancewith ', as per ;

http://www.insurancewith.com/about-us/

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

We've used Holiday Extras the last couple of years and are very happy with the level of cover for my husband who has pre existings, my logic is/was as P&O and Cunard recommend them they will be ok but like any insurer you only find out how good they are if you have to make a claim.
Jo

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Dancing Queen wrote: 19 Jul 2017, 16:15
We've used Holiday Extras the last couple of years and are very happy with the level of cover for my husband who has pre existings, my logic is/was as P&O and Cunard recommend them they will be ok but like any insurer you only find out how good they are if you have to make a claim.

Same as DQ and for exactly the same reasons.

Maureen

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

we use flexicover.
Meg
x

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We are currently with....

https://www.insureandgo.com/?ssauda=853 ... UQodAoIH3g

https://www.insureandgo.com/travel-insu ... ce-reviews

As has been said many times, you only find out how good they are when you need them and have to make a claim.

colin parry
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by colin parry »

Ray, I've just got too old to continue my M &S premium club insurance (80). While I was still 79 but arranging cover for next month I used Holiday extras (£170 with pre existing conditions) I have also booked a cruise for October and the same company quoted £440. Seemed unreasonable. I was in M&S Cheshire Oaks bank last week and they have offers on travel insurance, 25% off annual cover and 50% off single trip. This with AXA insurance I have the same cover as Holiday extras for £177.
I have to say that when my wife passed away in 2015, AXA were superb.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Like DQ we also went with Holiday Extras - who asked how long was the cruise, how old were we (70) and how much was the cruise costing. They then put us through to a specific agent. I had tried other insurance companies for our long 65 nights - Direct Line, with whom we had an annual policy wouldn't cover us for 65 nights. They were good when we had a claim last year for a non-cruise holiday as I had to cancel with knee problems. We had a long form to fill in and our GP had to fill in another form but they did pay up in full.

Carole

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

The problem with the vast majority of travel insurance companies is that they use software that captures conditions, then using a few variations they arrive at an ' inclusive ' price for that particular condition. The company that I suggested to Ray delves much deeper and this allows them to evaluate the actual risk, a system that generally works out cheaper and one that is close to being bespoke .... especially so where cancer conditions are concerned.

No, I am not an agent :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 20 Jul 2017, 12:04
The problem with the vast majority of travel insurance companies is that they use software that captures conditions, then using a few variations they arrive at an ' inclusive ' price for that particular condition. The company that I suggested to Ray delves much deeper and this allows them to evaluate the actual risk, a system that generally works out cheaper and one that is close to being bespoke .... especially so where cancer conditions are concerned.

No, I am not an agent :lol:
I'm not so sure.....Secret or freelance

Topic author
Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

Thanks folk for your helpful advice

Ray

Topic author
Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

Finally went with Holiday Extras (Allianze) tad over 1K. The total cost of this cruise will now be about £500 a day, so this will probably be the last Caribbean cruise as we will be looking to spend our holiday pounds elsewhere in the future.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Ray Scully wrote: 31 Aug 2017, 13:14
Finally went with Holiday Extras (Allianze) tad over 1K. The total cost of this cruise will now be about £500 a day, so this will probably be the last Caribbean cruise as we will be looking to spend our holiday pounds elsewhere in the future.
We made the same decision when the cheapest quote we could find for a 35 night America/Caribbean cruise was quoted as £1456 due to the fact that Ken had a heart attack/coronary by pass back in 1992, although has been ok since with tablets only (touch wood). We now stick with Europe and can currently still get our annual insurance from Holiday Extras for £342. We expect this to increase next year when Ken is 75 and I am 70.

There seems to be a lot more European destinations cropping up with PO, although some of our old favourites have disappeared due to terrorism etc but we are still finding enough interesting cruises to go on so good luck with your future choices. Maureen.

Topic author
Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

Kenmo1 wrote: 31 Aug 2017, 13:35
Ray Scully wrote: 31 Aug 2017, 13:14
We made the same decision when the cheapest quote we could find for a 35 night America/Caribbean cruise was quoted as £1456 due to the fact that Ken had a heart attack/coronary by pass back in 1992, although has been ok since with tablets only (touch wood). We now stick with Europe and can currently still get our annual insurance from Holiday Extras for £342. We expect this to increase next year when Ken is 75 and I am 70.

There seems to be a lot more European destinations cropping up with PO, although some of our old favourites have disappeared due to terrorism etc but we are still finding enough interesting cruises to go on so good luck with your future choices. Maureen.

Thanks
Maureen

Ray

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

would have agreed with the choice of holiday extras after having our last 3 holidays covered by them but after returning from Rouen on Monday 21st august we decided to book a cheep cruise for a week from Bristol in October.
upon phoning holiday extras to sort out the travel insurance I was told by there rep that they could not cover me' I explained that our last 3 holidays had been covered by them all within the last year and that it was only 3 days since we had returned from the last one and we had not claimed on any of them.
the lady was not interested and said the computer said no and that was it.
so I phoned paying to much dot com and got insurance for £130 and also got insurance to Iceland on Azura in june 2018 2 weeks for £161 :crazy:
Last edited by poole boy on 31 Aug 2017, 15:12, edited 2 times in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I appreciate we all need travel insurance cover regardless of health issues or not, but it does beg the question are we being penalised and over charged unnecessarily.

Premiums sold versus claims will always favour the insurer of course otherwise they wouldn't still be in business. So is it just greed on the insures part.

Topic author
Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

Stephen wrote: 31 Aug 2017, 15:27
I appreciate we all need travel insurance cover regardless of health issues or not, but it does beg the question are we being penalised and over charged unnecessarily.

Premiums sold versus claims will always favour the insurer of course otherwise they wouldn't still be in business. So is it just greed on the insures part.

Well Stephen looking at the wide differences in quotes we received, yes there does appear an element of greed. However if we are talking real greed well the American health institutions win every day . Interestingly Maureen recently needed a procedure and the drugs required to be taken at home prior. could be bought online in the UK for around £20, the self same stuff in the USA $100 plus.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Ray Scully wrote: 31 Aug 2017, 15:33
Stephen wrote: 31 Aug 2017, 15:27

Well Stephen looking at the wide differences in quotes we received, yes there does appear an element of greed. However if we are talking real greed well the American health institutions win every day . Interestingly Maureen recently needed a procedure and the drugs required to be taken at home prior. could be bought online in the UK for around £20, the self same stuff in the USA $100 plus.
If that includes flights Ray that's not bad ;) :D

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We once had to claim for medical treatment onboard and LV paid out without any problem after they received our invoice. No fuss, the claim was sorted within a week.

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Picked up from a Daily Telegraph article a few weeks ago, try a comparison site called payingtoomuch.com.
I've just got 2 weeks cruise cover for £146.64 with Allclear via this site - one of us is 81, with a string of pre-existings including cancer and type 2 diabetes. This is considerably less than we normally pay via the usual comparison websites.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

anniec wrote: 01 Sep 2017, 08:21
Picked up from a Daily Telegraph article a few weeks ago, try a comparison site called payingtoomuch.com.
I've just got 2 weeks cruise cover for £146.64 with Allclear via this site - one of us is 81, with a string of pre-existings including cancer and type 2 diabetes. This is considerably less than we normally pay via the usual comparison websites.
You were fortunate Annie even if that's for Europe, I got quotes from them of £1000, £1500 and £1900 for their 3 tiers of cover for a 35 day Caribbean and USA cruise.
The basic one was virtually worthless as it did not cover my wife's existing conditions and even the highest one had less cover than our current insurance provides.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Gosh, John, what horrendous quotes; partly explained by your destinations, but still...

It was for a couple cruising to Europe, including Spain, single trip (we can't get annual cover any more). Sorry I forgot to mention that.

billy_beemer
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by billy_beemer »

Good morning
We have purchased our policy via Money Saving Expert site. Selecting the Explorer Insurance Co, excellent site easy application other companies could learn regards the application process.Cover 50 nights on Oriana Caribbean,USA. Cost 291, my wife has a number of long term medical conditions, value for money?

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”