Strictly themed cruises.

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Strictly themed cruises.

Post by screwy »

We have just got back from the Strictly cruise on Ventura.....Never again will i set foot on a ship doing this..I wouldnt have minded something a couple of times a week but every day was just too much. We dont watch it on the Box and we certainly didnt see any of it on board.

The Entertainment suffered because A) The guest speaker sold out every time but was forced to appear in Tamarind, hardly any seats so lots missed out.
B) The Brit tones showed in Havanna,this was much to compact for the level of sound.

Apart from The one really decent Comic...John Evans. the rest of the Entertainers were mediocre at best. No decent vocalist !!

And before someone says ...:well it was a strictly cruise.....not when i booked it it wasnt.
Mel

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: Strictly themed cruises.

Post by gilly88 »

sounds like a bad deal if you are not fans of strictly, it would certainly not be my husbands cup of tea. He has managed to avoid strictly come dancing ever since it started. :|
regards gilly.

Penuk2000
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Penuk2000 »

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the website and I have only been on one cruise before (but Loved it!!) Med Ventura 2017 in a group of 7.

Its our 10th wedding anniversary next June and I wanted to book a cruise for me and my husband to renew our vows. for us to be on ship for our anniversary (which is the 6th of June) i had to book the Strictly cruise. I really like strictly so I am more than happy. My husband doesn't mind it but its not on his list of favourite TV.

Is it going to be strictly 24/7 or will there still be other entertainment on the ship that isn't strictly based?

Thank you in advance for help. :)

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

My sister in law was on this cruise and loved it. She knew it was strictly when she booked it and got what she expected. We once did a Music at Sea cruise and loved it where others didn't. I'm not sure I could stand that much strictly but Mrs B would love it.
Empty vessels .. and all that

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by gilly88 »

welcome to the site
as I have not been on a strictly cruise, I can only guess that a lot of the entertainment will be geared towards the dancing side of things but I'm sure there will be a variety of other entertainment on board as Ventura is a big ship, and not all will want the dancing 24/7.
hope you have agreat time on board. oh, and happy anniversary.
regards gilly.

Penuk2000
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Penuk2000 »

Thank you. Gilly
Were really looking forward to it. we went on the ventura last September and loved it so were happy to be on the same ship. in actual fact were even in the same cabin :)

I think the strictly cruise will be fine i just wondered if it would be a bit OTT but we don't have to do the entertainment every night. sometimes its nice to have dinner and sit on deck with a drink and watch the world go by.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

We are generally very selective about the evening entertainment and don't usually bother with Headliners because we've seen them all a few times. As regard the speciality acts, we give them a go if we fancy it. We are also quite happy to sit out on a nice evening just having a drink. If you come across E. Sarah Carter she is worth watching. Very entertaining fiddle player.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Hi Screwy, I spoke to my SiL last night about this and she said that in her opinion, there was too little Strictly. She expected more :lol:

Horses for course I expect.

As I said earlier, we booked a Music Festival at Sea cruise on Aurora and loved it all.
Some others didn't, but all the concerts were very well attended.

One Manchester 'lady' who was eventually put off the ship due to bad behaviour actually said to me that if she knew they would be playing " all this posh effing cr*p" she wouldn't have booked.

Topic author
screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Hi Barney.
I totally agree it's Horses for courses.I just found it all a bit too much. I'm not a Strictly fan but can understand why some people enjoy it. I couldnt understand why they had to have 'chats ' with a couple of the Dancers on in 2 seperate venues atthe same time and when the Guest speaker , who was very good and played to full houses was resticted to the Tamarind where there is obviously not enough seats, the 3 times he was in the Theatre it was packed.! I also couldnt take to the 'so called' Ent Mgr, Neil Kelly ? Bit of a pratt in my eyes,too full of himself. Any ways it wont bother me again.!!
To be honest there should be a few more 'offloaded' for bad behaviour.
Mel

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

barney wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 10:04
Hi Screwy, I spoke to my SiL last night about this and she said that in her opinion, there was too little Strictly. She expected more :lol:

Horses for course I expect.

As I said earlier, we booked a Music Festival at Sea cruise on Aurora and loved it all.
Some others didn't, but all the concerts were very well attended.

One Manchester 'lady' who was eventually put off the ship due to bad behaviour actually said to me that if she knew they would be playing " all this posh effing cr*p" she wouldn't have booked.
You do surprise me barney :sarcasm:

MicheleW
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MicheleW »

Hi Penuk2000,

Hubby and I are on this cruise too. I booked it because I am celebrating a big birthday next June. It wasn't a Strictly themed cruise when we booked, but I am a massive fan and was soooo excited when I received the notification from P&O. It was like an early birthday present - I am looking forward to the cruise even more now! (Hubby not quite so much!!)

Michele

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”