Trial on no night turn down

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Trial on no night turn down

Post by Whynd1 »

I see this morning on FB that's it's being reported that on Britannia they are introducing a trial for the stewards with different working hours.
3 extra cabins to service , work till 3 pm and there will be no night turn down and cleaning of cabin bathrooms.

I know you don't get night turn down in lots of hotels but this will be a real departure for P and O.
Many passengers come back from tours, sunbathing etc and use the cabin then to freshen up and change for the evening, especially when it's an evening that requires more than a casual dress code.

Lindsey

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Trial on no night turn down

Post by Manoverboard »

The idea sounds good for the stewards but the long hours following their end of shift may result in boredom setting in or increased gambling debts etc.

I think most passengers should be able to manage a turn down but perhaps some will need to make a bigger effort to keep their bathrooms dry and/or neat 'n' tidy …

Having said that I do think that Mobietta and I would initially miss coming back to the cabin later in the evening and not be greeted by the turn down and the choccie. Longer term it wouldn't bother us enough to get excited by the change.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I don't think this would bother me in the least as I tend to keep the bathroom neat and tidy as I do my own bathroom at home, I do wonder though if this is a cunning plan to do away with the nightly chocolate :o :lolno:
Jo

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I'm with DQ on this.

Our Cabin Steward must have the easiest job with us a passengers and we tend to keep our cabin as we do our home.

If his/her cleaning isn't up to our standard we have been known to do it ourselves.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

It's a small thing but unless other cruise lines rush to follow suit it will be another nail in the coffin of "falling standards".

I know it's not essential, and indeed most hotels, even 5 star don't do it, but it's one of those things that makes a cruise a special occasion, out of the ordinary of day to day life. Plus we do use our bathroom later in the say to shower before dinner, so dry towels for the morning are, if not essential, welcome. If it goes ahead across the fleet the steward really does become no more than a chambermaid and it's another reason to cut back on tips.

The place where we have our timeshare apartments, which is a 5 star hotel, gives us daily maid service as part of the deal. A few years back some bright spark decided they could save costs if there was no maid service on Sundays. So we had to make our own beds that day. Yes I know I can make my own bed, but I don't expect to within the walls of a 5 star hotel. And nor did a lot of other people. Mr Bright Spark lost his job as a result and Sunday service resumed.

I hope this "trial" goes the same way. Or we're one step closer to bringing our own towels and soap.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 05 Jun 2018, 10:16, edited 2 times in total.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Where is this on FB - I havn't seen it anywhere.

Sorry to have to disagree with some but I can make my own bed, clean my own bathroom, clean my own room, etc, every day I am not on holiday. I do not go on holiday to do what I do at home.

One thing is for sure they might be trialling it on some cabins but they will not be trialling it on my cabin without a lot of fuss. I have paid for a service and that is what I expect to get.

Cannot say, though, that I would be bothered one way or the other about the chocolates.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I'm with the Boss and Sir Merv on this one......its the little touches that make criusing special.

Presumably this won't apply to family cabins.. my wife would have struggled turning down the bunk beds! :)

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I regard myself as the “ideal” passenger in that I am very tidy - yes a but OCD :roll: but returning to the cabin after a say a beach day then showering etc before going to dinner I may well need fresh towels and would expect them to be replaced. Not particularly bothered about the chocolate or the turn down but just another cut back - by the way just returned from Azura and so disappointed with service and standards in general - will post a review when I finish it.
Janis

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

The P and O cruises information and chat page.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I too am with Merv and David.

To me, it's the start of the slippery slope of yet more cut backs.

If true, the trial must have started very recently as we have only been back from Britannia a couple of weeks and had turn down every night.

Not bothered about the chocolate either. We tend to bag'm up and take home. I think they're in a cupboard somewhere. Do away with the chocolate and bring back the good old biscuits :thumbup:

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

We also make most use of the bathroom before dinner and would definitely miss the night time service which cleans it and replaces any well used towels. The turn down service also sees the removal and storage of the bed covering which if left to me would result in it littering the floor overnight. So I very much hope this trial dies a very quick death.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

towny44 wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 12:03
We also make most use of the bathroom before dinner and would definitely miss the night time service which cleans it and replaces any well used towels. The turn down service also sees the removal and storage of the bed covering which if left to me would result in it littering the floor overnight. So I very much hope this trial dies a very quick death.
and all those cushions from the bed....

who delivers the horizon etc? and the clocks forward/back notice?
Meg
x

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I'm similar to Jan, there is only me in the cabin and I'm am a very tidy person.
I wouldn't miss the turn down service and don't want the awful chocolate,but do like to have the bathroom freshened and fresh towels if needed.
An awful thought just occurred to me, if this does go fleetwide then even more passengers will take off the auto gratuities as they will perceive the cabin stewards as doing less.

Lindsey

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Whynd1 wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 11:23
do you have a link? I can't find it

ta
Meg
x

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Jan Rosser wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 10:55
I regard myself as the “ideal” passenger in that I am very tidy - yes a but OCD :roll: but returning to the cabin after a say a beach day then showering etc before going to dinner I may well need fresh towels and would expect them to be replaced. Not particularly bothered about the chocolate or the turn down but just another cut back - by the way just returned from Azura and so disappointed with service and standards in general - will post a review when I finish it.
When we came home from Azura in February (Caribbean) we said the same thing definitely a drop in service and standards and poor attitude.

On the subject being discussed, We keep our cabin neat and tidy 😇 but I want the turn down for bedtime. I wouldn't want to have to mess around with cushions and throws when I get back to the cabin at bedtime, as others have said that's part of being on a cruise holiday😏

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Meg 50 wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 12:50
Whynd1 wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 11:23
do you have a link? I can't find it

ta
Neither can I

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Happydays wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 14:21
When we came home from Azura in February (Caribbean) we said the same thing definitely a drop in service and standards and poor attitude.

On the subject being discussed, We keep our cabin neat and tidy 😇 but I want the turn down for bedtime. I wouldn't want to have to mess around with cushions and throws when I get back to the cabin at bedtime, as others have said that's part of being on a cruise holiday😏
Especially after your wine sessions ;) :)

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

The evening 'turn down' is one of the things that is nice to have and makes the experience feel a bit special. It's pleasant to come back to the cabin in the glow of the bed side light, and I like the chocolate on the pillow.

In the morning, we keep out of our cabin, to let the steward get on with his work. Some days, we might want to spend time in our cabin or on our balcony, so it's nice when the cabin is done promptly, so we can return to the cabin and not feel as if we are getting under the steward's feet. If he's got another 3 cabins to do, there's the possibility that the cabins won't get serviced until after lunch. Not keen on that at all.
Gill

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

This may be a none story as I cannot find it in the FB group in question. I have looked back 4 days.

If it were true I think there would be more of a uproar. That group is full of trolls and not well moderated.

Not mentioned on the main P & O page.

Dai

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

daib GC wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 17:11
This may be a none story as I cannot find it in the FB group in question. I have looked back 4 days.

If it were true I think there would be more of a uproar. That group is full of trolls and not well moderated.

Dai
Also I cannot imagine that it has not reached CC

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

I don't know if this is true or not but we go on a cruise holiday to get away from the mundane jobs at home and to be spoiled a little if they tried this with us we would cancel the tips on the first night for the whole cruise and make sure we did not cruise on any P&O boat doing something similar in the future.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

daib GC wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 17:11

Dai
I found it quite easily and there are dozens, if not hundreds of comments.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Give us a clue/link John as it is alluding me.

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I have put where I found it about 9 hours ago.
I can't do a link as I don't know how to.
The post says it came from their friend who is a cabin steward, I took it in good faith David.
It's going to be a trail on Britannia only at the moment according to the post.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Stephen wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 15:51
Happydays wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 14:21

Especially after your wine sessions ;) :)
Well I am on holiday🍷🍹

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”