towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Trial on no night turn down

Post by towny44 »

Ray Scully wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 20:17
daib GC wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 19:12
oldbluefox wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 17:26
I'd heard they were giving away half price cruises to young people because they were hard up, the baby boomers had taken all the money and they couldn't afford their own house.
Unfortunately for those of working age that is to close to the truth. I am a baby of the late forties and I know how lucky I am in so many ways.
Dai

I am a product of the mid forties, and I definitely consider myself to be part of a golden generation. First heard the Beatles when they played the cavern club. Could afford a NEW car and buy a house by the age of 22 . Never unemployed. A defined benefits pension, paid from retiring in my mid fifties. We have been privileged to visit so many places before they were IMHO spoiled by the ravages of excessive tourism. Yes we have been lucky in so many ways
I was a late war baby so just too young to qualify as a baby boomer, and whilst I also enjoyed some of the benefits that Ray mentions, he fails to point out how these were achieved. We had to save up before we could buy a house or a car and once the children came along we had to tighten our belts to live on one wage. Most of our holidays were in the UK making full use of our caravan for our "luxury" holidays, our eldest son was 15 before we had our first Med package holiday.
Compare that with today's young ones who have probably been treated to lots of foreign holidays with their parents, and won't consider going anywhere without their high end mobile phone on a high cost contract, and who also need to have a weekly date night at a top notch restaurant, something we never dreamed about.
I do accept that few are likely to enjoy the retirement benefits that a gold standard defined benefit pension provides, but their lives up to middle age will have been far easier and more luxurious than ours were.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 20:56
Compare that with today's young ones who have probably been treated to lots of foreign holidays with their parents, and won't consider going anywhere without their high end mobile phone on a high cost contract, and who also need to have a weekly date night at a top notch restaurant, something we never dreamed about.
I do accept that few are likely to enjoy the retirement benefits that a gold standard defined benefit pension provides, but their lives up to middle age will have been far easier and more luxurious than ours were.
And in 20/30 years time these "youngsters" of today will be saying the same thing about the next generation!

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

[/quote]By Towny 44
I was a late war baby so just too young to qualify as a baby boomer, and whilst I also enjoyed some of the benefits that Ray mentions, he fails to point out how these were achieved. We had to save up before we could buy a house or a car and once the children came along we had to tighten our belts to live on one wage. Most of our holidays were in the UK making full use of our caravan for our "luxury" holidays, our eldest son was 15 before we had our first Med package holiday.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more.

Anyhow back on topic. After our last cruise with P&O I decided I wouldn't book with P&O again. In fact (as my youngest son often reminds me) I decided I never wanted to cruise again. Although we are defecting to Cunard this year, I've booked another with P&O purely for the itinerary. I'm sorry to hear that standards and the service aren't what they used to be but as far as a trial on no nightly turn down is concerned that really wouldn't bother me unduly. Whether it will turn out to be a Chinese whisper remains to be seen. :think:
Last edited by emjay45 on 07 Jun 2018, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”