Evening turndown

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Evening turndown

Post by Whynd1 »

It seems that comes today the stewards are no longer giving an evening turndown service if.
I know this was discussed recently.

Some will find even more reason not too tip now.

Lindsey

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: Evening turndown

Post by oldbluefox »

If true then I am sorry. It's a pleasant way to return to your cabin to find the drinks tray refreshed, bed turned back, bedside lamps turned on, curtains drawn and the new copy of Horizon and a couple of chocolates on the bed. It's a lovely welcoming sight after a long day enjoying yourself.
Hopefully it is just a rumour but if true I will be sorry to see it disappear.

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

It's being reported on good old Facebook by passengers currently on Britannia.

I agree obc with all your sentiments.

Lindsey

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I don't know about cruising this sounds more like camping......bring back auto tipping :thumbup: :lol:

Finker
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Finker »

i am not too worried about an evening cabin service as I can manage to keep it tidy myself. I can pull the curtains and put on the lamp and even put some music on so there is a pleasant ambience on return.

What gripes me is tablecloths not being changed between diners i.e dirty table clothes which was what greeted us each evening on Freedom Dining. This resulted in us eating at the buffet as it felt cleaner.

Irregular bed linen changes is another disgusting practice.

Maybe the all inclusive gratuities is a clever move as evening cabin service will be discontinued and there will be nothing that can be done about it in protest.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

So long as I get the chocolates the other things aren't so important to me. We often bring different sachets down from the buffet so easy enough to replenish the drink tray. We no longer eat the biscuits because they are rubbish. The only problem would be if they don't replace the towels which we have used for our bath/shower before going to dinner in the evening. So I hope this isn't going to be the way forward. Maureen.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 18:27
I don't know about cruising this sounds more like camping......bring back auto tipping :thumbup: :lol:
Same here Keith. :D :thumbup:

I dunno. They've down graded the biscuits, now no turn down. What next......no stewards at all!

I also heard on board credit is being abolished in favour of cabin mini vacs and cleaning mops :o
Last edited by Stephen on 02 Sep 2018, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I thought when this was raised before someone said P&O had denied it was going to happen.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

If the evening turndown has been discontinued, so far only on Britannia, this presumably means that there will be less cabin stewards who will be doing more cabins, which in turn will maen that those at the end of the list will not be serviced until something like four in the afternoon - something that we would find unacceptable.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

My big concern would be dry towels. If we're dressing for dinner, whether it is casual or formal, after a busy day we always shower. And if towels aren't changed they'll still be wet in the morning.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

We normally shower before dinner, so I will be very disappointed if the bathroom has not been cleaned and any used towels removed and replaced,and I suspect that I might be throwing the loose cushions and bedding throws overboard if they are not removed and stowed away out of sight.
As Merv said I thought this rumour had been scotched by P&O, lets hope so.

PS you beat me to the towel comment Merv.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

I have been looking at the P&O site on the internet and they clearly state that you one of the benefits is that you get a turn down service every evening.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

david63 wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 22:39
If the evening turndown has been discontinued, so far only on Britannia, this presumably means that there will be less cabin stewards who will be doing more cabins, which in turn will maen that those at the end of the list will not be serviced until something like four in the afternoon - something that we would find unacceptable.
I would find that totally unacceptable too. And the bathroom not being wiped in the evening.
Gill

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

What will happen about family cabin turn downs...who will be expected to pull the bunk bed down?

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Onelife wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 20:00
What will happen about family cabin turn downs...who will be expected to pull the bunk bed down?
That's a good question - I can't imagine they will leave the beds down after making them up in the morning - there will be a lot of "bumped" heads if they do :crazy:

My son and family find it a bit "tight" in a 4 berth cabin anyway so any more hazards wouldn't be welcome :lolno:
Janis

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Just noticed on facebook that a lady who got on Britannia yesterday and was told there was no evening turn down service has now corrected that statement saying she misunderstood and it was just because it was the first evening of the cruise so possibly evening turn down will still continue.

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Well thank goodness for that, at least she posted the error.

Lindsey

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

No problems with evening turndown on Arcadia

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Kenmo1 wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 08:31
Just noticed on facebook that a lady who got on Britannia yesterday and was told there was no evening turn down service has now corrected that statement saying she misunderstood and it was just because it was the first evening of the cruise so possibly evening turn down will still continue.
That's good news. Even that seems a little odd, but is maybe a recognition that the stewards have a longer than normal morning shift turning round all the cabins and are then around when passengers arrive, rather than having their usual afternoon break.

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

How many times does this happen, someone on a ship hears something, gets it wrong, post on social media and then everyone over reacts.

What a load of B*****************.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

daib GC wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 10:24
How many times does this happen, someone on a ship hears something, gets it wrong, post on social media and then everyone over reacts.

What a load of B*****************.
I was just thinking the same thing, then I saw your post daib.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

No turndown on first night :shock: ........sack the stewards :sarcasm:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 22:16
I thought when this was raised before someone said P&O had denied it was going to happen.
Pretty sure that was me Merv. I like to hear it from the horses mouth rather than hearsay.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I just heard a rumour that passengers on Iona will have to provide their own soap, towels and life jackets. Pass it on....

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

It seems a bit odd they didn't do it on the first night - they've managed it fine before on 1st nights.

We are tidy in our cabin, but the turndown service is nice to have. In the mornings, we stay out of our cabin to let the steward do his thing, but occasionally our room hasn't been done until lunch time and I really hate that, especially if we have been on a morning excursion. Its somehow disconcerting to come back to an unmade bad
Gill

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”