The Baltics

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

The Baltics

Post by Stephen »

Booked a cruise for next year to the Baltics (Scandinavia & Russia). First time for us so welcome any advice. Already know about visas for Russia which are included in any trips.

Southampton
At sea
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
At sea
Tallinn
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg
Helsinki
Stockholm
At sea
Berlin
At sea
At sea
Southampton

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Baltics

Post by david63 »

One of the best cruise we have done was the Baltics.

Most of the places are easy to DIY/HoHo but I would look at private tours in St. Petersburg - you can sometimes join up with others to make a group of six or eight, that way you will see more and get "fast tracked" through the palaces.

Which ship?

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Easy DIY …. but … consider buying Thomas Cook's CitySpots or Traveller's Guides to ALL of the Cities you will visit.

The whole set will be less than £20 on e-Bay and you will then be able to visit ALL the places that appeal the most, we have done all these and loved them all. Tours are a must with St Petes.

ps ...Starter Pack - Copenhagen

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Hi Stephen.
As the others have said it's easy to diy most ports. We did the two day P and O tour of St Petersburg, very tiring but wouldn't have missed it. Helsinki was brilliant we got the shuttle bus into the town and then walked up towards where the boats were and bought tickets for a trip round the islands, excellent. I did do a report on this web site of the cruise.

Lindsey

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Thanks everyone for the tips. (sorry) shouldn't mention that word :shock: :D

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 11:39
One of the best cruise we have done was the Baltics.

Most of the places are easy to DIY/HoHo but I would look at private tours in St. Petersburg - you can sometimes join up with others to make a group of six or eight, that way you will see more and get "fast tracked" through the palaces.

Which ship?

Dare I say 'Celebrity Silhouette'.

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 11:55
Easy DIY …. but … consider buying Thomas Cook's CitySpots or Traveller's Guides to ALL of the Cities you will visit.

The whole set will be less than £20 on e-Bay and you will then be able to visit ALL the places that appeal the most, we have done all these and loved them all. Tours are a must with St Petes.

£20 :shock: . Steady on Moby. I'll get Mrs S to check out our local library ;)

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Stephen wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 16:05
Manoverboard wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 11:55

£20 :shock: . Steady on Moby. I'll get Mrs S to check out our local library ;)
Good plan … some of the ' used ' books are in fact ex library :thumbup:

Last edited by Manoverboard on 14 Oct 2018, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Stephen wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 16:02
Not if you want to stay as a member of this board :lol: :lol: :lol: :crazy:

I doubt that it really matters which ship - the ports are still the same

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 18:56
Stephen wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 16:02
Not if you want to stay as a member of this board :lol: :lol: :lol: :crazy:

I doubt that it really matters which ship - the ports are still the same

I was a bit hesitant in my reply :D

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Looks like I'm going to get my P45 as well Stephen - I've booked Baltics too for next August with the family and we are "jumping ship" - going on Royal Caribbean. Only travelled with them once before but costs wise for the family a no-brainer - thousands of pounds difference in price :crazy:
Janis

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I haven't jumped ship Jan. Just that a change is as good as a rest. We cruised on Eclipe last year and apart from going down with the plague towards the end of the cruise, which you can get on any ship, we liked it. :thumbup:

As far as I'm concerned, loyalty doesn't cut it with me any more. It's itinerary and cost at the end of the day. Plus I hate flying.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Stephen wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 12:45
I haven't jumped ship Jan. Just that a change is as good as a rest. We cruised on Eclipe last year and apart from going down with the plague towards the end of the cruise, which you can get on any ship, we liked it. :thumbup:

As far as I'm concerned, loyalty doesn't cut it with me any more. It's itinerary and cost at the end of the day. Plus I hate flying.
I agree Stephen it’s itinerary for us too but cost does play a part for the family especially as it has to be school holidays and prices are bumped up. The granddaughters actually suggested the Baltics - the youngest said “it’s too hot in the Med and we’ve been there before” - so well travelled at the age of 11 :roll: I’m hoping weather will be reasonable in August.
Janis

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Jan Rosser wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 13:04
Stephen wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 12:45

I agree Stephen it’s itinerary for us too but cost does play a part for the family especially as it has to be school holidays and prices are bumped up. The granddaughters actually suggested the Baltics - the youngest said “it’s too hot in the Med and we’ve been there before” - so well travelled at the age of 11 :roll: I’m hoping weather will be reasonable in August.

If it's anywhere near what we've had this year Jan you should be on a winner.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

It is generally best to go in September ... some go in May albeit not us.

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Just had a look at the trips on Celebrities web page. Think I'd better put the house on the market as the prices are astronomical. As for St. Petersburg.......they can forget those silly prices. I don't mind a trip but I don't want shares in it. :crazy:

Before seeing the prices I thought, as it's our first time at St.Petersburg we'd play safe and book a trip via Celebrity as I didn't fancy chancing a street vendor trip and ending up in some Gulag camp thousands of miles from anywhere sharing a bunk with Ivor and his mate big'n. But I might have to have a re-think.
Last edited by Stephen on 16 Oct 2018, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Stephen wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 11:28
Before seeing the prices I thought, as it's our first time at St.Petersburg we'd play safe and book a trip via Celebrity as I didn't fancy chancing a street vendor trip and ending up in some Gulag camp thousands of miles from anywhere sharing a bunk with Ivor and his mate big'n. But I might have to have a re-think.
There are three or four reputable private tour companies in St Petes but beware of any that ask for payment "up front" - most will take the money (cash USD) during the tour. These companies are very safe, even though they do look like (and probably are) the Russian Mafia!

I would suggest that you look at meeting up with others so that you share the cost and will probably find some on either FB groups or CC

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 11:43
Stephen wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 11:28
There are three or four reputable private tour companies in St Petes but beware of any that ask for payment "up front" - most will take the money (cash USD) during the tour. These companies are very safe, even though they do look like (and probably are) the Russian Mafia!

I would suggest that you look at meeting up with others so that you share the cost and will probably find some on either FB groups or CC
Thank David........comforting to know :)

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We have found that all the American Cruise Line tours are expensive as compared to P&O but the pain soon goes … may take a bit longer in your case of course.

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 12:00
We have found that all the American Cruise Line tours are expensive as compared to P&O but the pain soon goes … may take a bit longer in your case of course.

It never leaves me. I'm a martyr to it :)

mavismumakrill
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by mavismumakrill »

When we went to the Baltics on Arcadia a few years ago P & O had the visas arranged for those going on tours in St. Petersburg when we docked and went ashore. The Russians kept our passports until we got back with our visas.

A super cruise. Tallin is a lovely place to visit as well. So different and interesting. We thoroughly enjoyed the whole cruise.

Mavis x

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I enjoyed it so much when I went to two years ago, that we are going back next year. Have booked adjoining balcony cabins at the aft on Arcadia.
A few new ports of call as well.
Lindsey

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Whynd1 wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 09:35
Have booked adjoining balcony cabins at the aft on Arcadia
His & hers :lol:

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Has anyone done this trip at St. Petersburg, and is it all boat trip or is there some stop off's on land. The Celebrity web site is a bit vague on this.

Rivers and Canals with Peter and Paul Fortress for Small Groups 3.45hrs

Silkworm
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Silkworm »

Stephen, don’t even think of doing an expensive ship excursion, google ALLA tours, they are
brilliant, have been with them three times.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”