Joining cruise at a later stage

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
rita17
Third Officer
Third Officer

Joining cruise at a later stage

Post by rita17 »

Wonder if anyone has joined a cruise at a later port. In this case it would be Funchal. We have a funeral to attend two days after the sailing date on the cruise to the Canaries. We have checked with our TA who have checked with P & O and it is possible to do this. The main proviso is that if, for any reason, the ship does not dock at Funchal then we would be responsible for getting ourselves to Gran Canaria. Our TA can arrange the flight and hotel and we travel the day before the ship docks. The main reason for thinking of doing this is that my son and his wife are joining us on their very first cruise otherwise we would cancel. (We are covered by our insurance). I would be interested in any comments especially from someone who has done this. Many thanks.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Joining cruise at a later stage

Post by towny44 »

Having successfully called at Funchal on many cruises I think you would be very unfortunate if this was a missed port.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Towny is right. The port rarely closes and if it did it's likely the airport would too! Plan B, for the very worst case, might be Trivago and a short notice week on Madeira!
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 11 Apr 2019, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
rita17
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by rita17 »

Thank you for your replies. After mulling it over, we have decided to cancel the cruise and hopefully re-book at a later date.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”