Maybe he'd flown from Cardiff? :sarcasm:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Formal evenings

Post by Manoverboard »

gilly88 wrote: 02 May 2019, 15:49
Manoverboard wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 18:07
gilly88 wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 16:19

no bless him, he was an older gent I think he had just endured a long coach trip and couldn't be ar***d to get changed :lol: :lol: never saw him again in the 12 nights on board.
Funny thing is that many years ago we had a similar experience to yours … everybody was slagging him off but it transpired that the airline had lost all his luggage so he had no other choices :lol:

good point mob, but this was first night out of southhampton, hence the raincoat! lol
Fair enough … perhaps he had left his luggage in his car :lol:

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 02 May 2019, 16:20
Maybe he'd flown from Cardiff? :sarcasm:
Or Belfast like wot Ken does do :moresarcasm:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Kendhni wrote: 01 May 2019, 07:42
Guess I am different to most of you, if anything I 'tolerated' formal evenings. Been there done that!

Now we don't even bother packing formal gear but we do dress in smart casual (as defined by the cruise line) - I point blank refuse to wear ties these days under any circumstances (always hated them). I don't know why but over the years I have actually grown a serious distrust of anyone in a 3 piece suit and a certain level of caution towards anyone in a suit and tie - stupid, I know.

On formal nights we will either book one of the allowed select dining venues or go to the buffet restaurant (which is surprisingly busy with people in formal, smart casual, football and beach bum outfits). After dinner we head down to the show lounge/theatre/bars and enjoy the entertainment with everyone else - sadly the theatre seems to be full of waiters taking all the seats.

I print out the web page stating where formal gear is required, just in case I come across someone who is unaware - I have seen the odd sourpuss with a face on them that looks like they are sucking wasps dipped in mace as they look us up and down, but they never say anything. in fact the only comments we have heard, on multiple occasions, are 'you look much more comfortable than us' or 'Are you allowed to remove your formal gear?' (er, yes, it is not compulsory - and I show them my print out after which most seem to go back to the cabin to get changed, leaving us to look after their seats).

I don't complain if people want to dress up and I don't expect them to complain if I decide not to. Just follow the requirements, as laid out in your T&C and other guidance .... if someone does not like them then that is their problem not mine ... and I am on holiday ... so I don't care about their problems. :)
We take the same view as you do Ken.

Formal nights hold no allure for us and we have attended well over 130 of them. They have become much more of an ordeal than a pleasure. When we went to May Balls at Cambridge in our youthful days then dressing up was seen as a bit of fun. Nowadays I detest wearing even a tie. Nevertheless I will take my 'uniform' along on the occasional P&O cruise if we happen to see one that takes our fancy and there are a couple of tricks that I get up to in order to ease my discomfort.

Imposing a dress code throughout most of the ship disappeared a few years ago, thankfully, but I do remember some muttered comments in the theatre from the row behind about "I think they should insist on everybody in the theatre wearing a tie". Would someone please explain to me why it matters whether or not the person sitting in front of you is wearing a tie? On Arcadia they hold the syndicate quiz in the Crows Nest and insist on formal wear even at 11 o'clock at night, which is ridiculous.

As for choosing a cruise, we do tend to go for ones where we can be more relaxed about what clothes to put on. Lately we have been sailing with Princess and the number of DJs seems to vary with the region being cruised. Around South America you will look out of place if you wear one and will probably attract as many strange looks as compliments. Off California they are more prevalent but from Florida you will probably feel overdressed. Remember that most Princess cruises are fly-cruises and a DJ and heavy black shoes will use a large lump of your baggage allowance. On any cruise in the Caribbean formal wear is probably a breach of the Human Rights Act.

Our last cruise was on Royal Clipper and it was wonderfully relaxed. Smart 'resort wear' in the dining room in the evenings but otherwise you could wear whatever you found the most comfortable.

We judge people by who they are and not by the clothes that they wear.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Just to up the ante. Witnessed this morning. Woman in pre cruise hotel dining room in her pyjamas.

Views?

Just hope she's not on our cruise!

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 04 May 2019, 10:28
Views?
Her luggage had gone astray?

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

david63 wrote: 04 May 2019, 10:47
Views?
Her luggage had gone astray?
In that case (see what I done) surely she wouldn't have her PJ's 😂

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

She should be politely asked to leave and dress appropriately for an eating area.

I saw this the other week when some you lady (teenager+) turned up to the doctors waiting room in her PJ's. If she can get to the doctors then she should be able to dress herself........lazy bitch

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 04 May 2019, 11:57
She should be politely asked to leave and dress appropriately for an eating area.

I saw this the other week when some you lady (teenager+) turned up to the doctors waiting room in her PJ's. If she can get to the doctors then she should be able to dress herself........lazy bitch
You've got way with words...love it :lol: :thumbup:

Topic author
Midlandslass
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Midlandslass »

Quizzical Bob wrote: 03 May 2019, 14:10

We judge people by who they are and not by the clothes that they wear.
Whilst I agree that you need to look beyond the clothes someone wears there are always exceptions.
So in the case of the young lady in her PJs and the hotel guest in PJs you would be able to refrain from making a judgement?
In my opinion it is all about respect for others and there is a time and a place for wearing your night clothes, a hotel dining room and a Drs surgery are neither the time nor the place.
Last edited by Midlandslass on 04 May 2019, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Midlandslass
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Midlandslass »

Just to up the ante. Witnessed this morning. Woman in pre cruise hotel dining room in her pyjamas.

Views?

Just hope she's not on our cruise!
I hope you have a lovely cruise and enjoy all the perks of PG on Cunard. Do try and take lunch in the Courtyard :)

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

PJs …. surely ' au naturelle ' is the correct breakfast dress code at this time of the year :o

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I agree with QB to some extent. But often what people wear tells us who they are. In the case of people who take the attitude that they will do what they want and to hell with anyone they upset the answer is pretty conclusive!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Manoverboard wrote: 04 May 2019, 14:18
PJs …. surely ' au naturelle ' is the correct breakfast dress code at this time of the year :o
I think that's the menu rather than the dress code.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 04 May 2019, 14:22
Manoverboard wrote: 04 May 2019, 14:18
I think that's the menu rather than the dress code.
Ah, so that's were I've been going wrong :lol:

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I've been on longer cruises recently, and found each time there was a formal night, I was thinking 'Oh God, not another one'.

I'd personally be quite happy with 2 formal nights per cruise - the Captain's Welcome Aboard Party and the Farewell Party The others seem like formal just for the sake of it.

I always dress as per the evening's guidelines, but formal nights don't thrill me.

However, it's a small part of the cruise, and I like the other aspects of P&O, so I'll just go with the flow.
Gill

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Just about exactly my view, Gill. One per week would be more than sufficient for me; it has worn rather thin over the years. Like you, though, we observe the rules as we like everything else Cunard has to offer.

We're about to do 23 nights on Cunard with 7 formals...

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 04 May 2019, 12:53
Stephen wrote: 04 May 2019, 11:57

You've got way with words...love it :lol: :thumbup:

I knew all those electrocution lessons would come in handy one day.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

anniec wrote: 04 May 2019, 15:50
Just about exactly my view, Gill. One per week would be more than sufficient for me; it has worn rather thin over the years. Like you, though, we observe the rules as we like everything else Cunard has to offer.

We are starting to think about a Cunard cruise for 2021. It'll be our 40th wedding anniversary in August that year, and my husband will be 70 in the October, so we want to do something a bit special, maybe in September. We know the dress code is a bit more formal than P&O, but on balance, we are keen for the Cunard experience, probably in Britannia Club dining.

Tomorrow we are off on CMV Columbus, for 10 nights. There will be two formal nights, and they still do semi-formal, as well as smart casual. However, last time we were on Columbus, about 50% didn't bother with formal night at all. In fact, it's the only time we ever opted out, on the second formal night, mostly because we'd been out all day, and weren't in the mood to get suited and booted.
Gill

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Gill W wrote: 04 May 2019, 16:05
anniec wrote: 04 May 2019, 15:50

We are starting to think about a Cunard cruise for 2021. It'll be our 40th wedding anniversary in August that year, and my husband will be 70 in the October, so we want to do something a bit special, maybe in September. We know the dress code is a bit more formal than P&O, but on balance, we are keen for the Cunard experience, probably in Britannia Club dining.

Tomorrow we are off on CMV Columbus, for 10 nights. There will be two formal nights, and they still do semi-formal, as well as smart casual. However, last time we were on Columbus, about 50% didn't bother with formal night at all. In fact, it's the only time we ever opted out, on the second formal night, mostly because we'd been out all day, and weren't in the mood to get suited and booted.

And ours, but in July 2021 :clap:

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

When P&O brought in their 'jacket required' dress code (a few years back) I remember people being turned away at the door despite being smartly dressed ... they just did not have a jacket. This led to interesting scenarios of

Tonight on the catwalk we are showing chinos from M&S along with a T M Lewin open collar red and blue checked shirt accompanied by a tuxedo (as worn by my mate).
However tonights most ridiculous ensemble consists of a pair of dark wool trousers, supported by braces over a white shirt and striped tie beautifully topped off with a green anorak decorated with fur trimming around the hood.

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Gill W wrote: 04 May 2019, 16:05

I think (hope) you'll like Cunard and you'll be fine in whatever you wear on P&O. Main difference is for the chaps, in that a jacket is required every night. We like P&O as well, but Cunard has the edge for us.

Never been in Club, but keep an eye on deck 9 above all the Club cabins* - read a few complaints about noise. I'm sure you're already aware that the Club cabins are no different to the other Britannia cabins. If you decide to go for a normal Britannia balcony cabin, those on deck 4 have larger balconies.*

Our 40th next year. We'll soon be dripping in rubies :lol: .

*Edited to add: I'm talking about Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth, not QM2.
Last edited by anniec on 04 May 2019, 17:47, edited 2 times in total.

bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

I've been away from the Forum for a couple of years so I'm catching up on some topics that never seem to change. Am I the only one that misses the authorative comments of " Content deleted ' on such matters.

Sorry to delete the ' Member's name ' but the whingeing masses below are picking holes in my actions ;)

Regards MobyModPlod

Last edited by Manoverboard on 03 Feb 2020, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Sorry folks … discussion of any Member ( or ex ) demands the right of reply so this Topic has been ' trimmed '.

MobyModPlod

Last edited by Manoverboard on 02 Feb 2020, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

But you've left the question about the aforementioned that started the conversation Sir Modplod.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”