The cycle of cruise pricing

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

The cycle of cruise pricing

Post by Kendhni »

When we started cruising pretty much everything (apart from alcohol) was included in the price - people complained that cruises were too expensive.
Then they removed many of the 'free' extras' and brought the price of the cruises down - people then complained that they now had to pay for many things that used to be 'free'.
Now it appears cruises are going more inclusive again - by including many more things in the price and advertising them as 'free'.

Every cruise company now seems to be offering 'free' this, 'free' that - we all know these 'free' items are built into the price.
Which model do you prefer?
Lowest cost, or all inclusive?

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: The cycle of cruise pricing

Post by GillD46 »

I don’t really mind either way: we end up paying for whatever we have one way or another. The only things I don’t want A/I are drinks, as we drink so little anyway, and I wish the auto gratuities (Cunard) were included in the cost.

Prices are not so different now from when we started cruising over 22 years ago, pro rata, although we buy more expensive accommodation these days so it seems more. Something has to give.
Gill

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Kendhni wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 06:19
Which model do you prefer?
Lowest cost, or all inclusive?
I doubt, in reality, that it is that simple and it is probably impossible to make a like for like comparison.

On the face of it I would go for lowest cost then pay for the "extras" that I wanted as inevitably there would be some "included" extras that I would not use. However if the all inclusive price was "right" and all the extras that I would use were there then I could go for that.

Really though would you ever have that choice? The cruise lines will do what they believe is best for them in maximising profit irrespective of what the passenger wants. An all inclusive model will always be in the cruise line's best interest, otherwise they would not do it.

The same thing applies with OBC - there are many, especially on FB, who believe that the cruise line is giving you that money and don't seem to be able to grasp the fact that it is their money.

At the end of the day the standard rules apply - if you are happy to pay the price then that is what works for you.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I think the current major price difference is that caused by the weakness of sterling, and the disparity this is producing in prices from UK based sterling priced cruise lines and US based cruise lines, where even those quoting sterling prices reflect the current exchange rate. This has produced a massive shift in price comparisons leading to P&O prices being 10-20% lower than the likes of Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean etc.
All inclusive temptings seem to be just an extension of fluid pricing, along with similar offers of large amounts of OBC, when you factor out these offers price movements are totally dependant on demand for each cruise.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I prefer options for cruising but generally go AI on land holidays.
My sister in law is currently on an AI cruise with Tui at the moment.
She's only previously cruised P&O before so her opinion will be interesting.

When we AI on land holidays, we still tend to eat out a bit, totally contradicting the point I suppose.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”