Bigger is better ?

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Bigger is better ?

Post by allatc »

Just back from cruise on Oceana, a small ship by emerging standards.

One of the officers gave a talk about the history of cruise ships and said there are currently 120 LARGE ships on order for the next five years with passenger numbers between four and six thousand.

It’s bad enough now when 2 or 3 ships are in port simultaneously, can you imagine somewhere like Santorini with 30,000 people milling around!

Killing the golden goose comes to mind.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Bigger is better ?

Post by GillD46 »

To be honest we won’t go ashore at Santorini anymore. Even one ship means thoroughly unpleasant crowding. Fortunately, we have visited on several occasions so it won’t unduly matter to us, but a real shame for those that have never been before.
Gill

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

When we were in St Maarten Christmas time on Britannia we were actually on the smallest ship - we were dwarfed by enormous ships and it was so busy. I have a cruise booked on Iona with the family next year - I’ll have an opinion one way or the other after that I’m sure :lol:
Janis

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

It's getting out of hand with all these giant ships. There's got to be a time when ports say enough is enough and limit ships size and numbers to protect if nothing else the environment.

Topic author
allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

It wouldn't surprise me if, in time, the ships themselves become the destination with very few ports of call.

When they are equipped with floating water parks, fun fairs , all manner of entertainment and all-included pricing why bother with the hassle of crowds ashore.

It's "Butlins at sea".

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Not for us. That'll be the end of cruising for us when that happens.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

allatc wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 11:26
It wouldn't surprise me if, in time, the ships themselves become the destination with very few ports of call.

When they are equipped with floating water parks, fun fairs , all manner of entertainment and all-included pricing why bother with the hassle of crowds ashore.

It's "Butlins at sea".
I remember many years ago on Arcadia, 2006 I think, we sat on Capt Keith Dowds table for the cruise. He told us then, P&O - and others - were preparing for when the ships become the destination and that there will be fewer and fewer ports, while the ships get larger. It’ll happen I’m sure, on the mass market lines anyway.
Gill

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Stephen wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 11:36
Not for us. That'll be the end of cruising for us when that happens.
Already, while we still enjoy cruising, we are moving away to different holidays more and more.
Gill

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

At the end of the day it will all come down to cost/profit.

Bigger ships are more economical to run per passenger than smaller ships - providing they are full. So ships will certainly get bigger, although how much bigger remains to be seen. There must be an optimal point at which to go any bigger will have a negative affect.

Will the ship become the destination? I don't know. Obviously as ships get bigger there will be fewer ports that can accommodate them so you could end up with a 14 night cruise only calling at three ports. There come a payoff (port fees v fuel costs, shore excursions v onboard spending) with ports of call where probably the balance is in favour of not having them.

One thing is for sure and that is that cruising will, over the next 10 years as it has over the last 10 years, evolve - although some will probably argue that it will change, and not for the better.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

The ship as a destination and/or only visiting three Ports during a two week cruise is certainly not for us …. Riverboat cruises are the way to see the local places rather than going to Lisbon, Barcelona and Civitavecchia time and time again.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

GillD46 wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 09:56
To be honest we won’t go ashore at Santorini anymore. Even one ship means thoroughly unpleasant crowding. Fortunately, we have visited on several occasions so it won’t unduly matter to us, but a real shame for those that have never been before.
We are in Santorini next month, a new port for us. I know there's at least 2 other ships in with us, so I'm prepared for it to be busy. Looking forward to our trip to Oia, but I'm expecting it to be heaving there
Last edited by Gill W on 04 Aug 2019, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Gill W wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 15:42
We are in Santorini next month, a new port for us. I know there's at least 2 other ships in with us, so I'm prepared for it to be busy. Looking forward to our trip to Oia, but I'm expecting it to be heaving there
Yes it will be really busy, but is a wonderful place to go if you haven’t been there before. We have been lucky enough to call there several times, and the crowds mean we don’t want to do it again. But you’ll enjoy it I am sure - and at least you’re well prepared.
Gill

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Gill W wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 15:42
We will be in there as well next month (Oceana) - looking forward to it. Last time we were there we took the cable car up (that is steep) but walked the donkey path back down - it is a long and very smelly trek, every time you reach a bend you find there is another one - glad we did not try walking up it (friends of ours did - apparently you could ring them both out by the time they reached the top). Oia is beautiful (as is Fira)

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Use the lift, at Fira, and then stroll about towards the upper reaches heading left along the coastal path … beautiful, far less crowded and no tourist tat. There are also a couple of decent restaurants should the need arise. Going down the steps to the bottom is best avoided … or so we thought.

I agree that Oia is also beautiful.

Staying on the ship would deffo not be an option for us.

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Fewer and fewer ports? Just like the old days then! ‘40s, ‘50s & ‘60s three or four ports in 14-17 nights was quite common and they didn’t dawdle between ports. The difference was of course that they had several overnights per cruise where instead of going to select dining on board ( as you might today) you went for dinner in one of the fancy eateries on shore.
Of course it’s not the same thing at all. In the past ships were smaller and there would only be one event per evening ( usually organised by the passenger committee and a representative of the ship’s company) and the majority of passengers would enjoy the same experience. Balconies were rare (if in existence at all) and so all passengers occupied the same spaces.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the future leads to massive cruise ships with smaller shore based tenders ( but much bigger than ship’s tenders )picking up a some of the passengers from the ‘mothership’ and taking them ashore whilst others remain on board close coasting and enjoying a sea day.
Travel journalism always makes the far away most exotic & I guess there are perceived bragging rites to take a holiday further afield than your neighbour. That works to a point, but with the Earth being finite in size you run out of space. An alternative is of course to go closer to home and go up market but I’m not sure how the major companies will cope with that model (BMW make more from selling lots of 3 series rather than the Series 7 M CSIGTD super deluxe AWD.)

Time will tell.
Last edited by Ranchi on 20 Sep 2019, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

david63 wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 13:08
At the end of the day it will all come down to cost/profit.

Bigger ships are more economical to run per passenger than smaller ships - providing they are full. So ships will certainly get bigger, although how much bigger remains to be seen. There must be an optimal point at which to go any bigger will have a negative affect.

pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap? They'll run out of passengers
Meg
x

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Me thinks they will have a different ' type ' of customer rather than a shortage ….. :wave:

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

we really don't care what they do with the bigger ships neither of us like them now hence our change to fred olsen and cmv for those that like these bigger ships good luck with them and hope you enjoy your holiday but definitely not for us :relaxed:

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Maybe it's because Pauline uses a wheelchair that we much prefer the bigger ships, they certainly have more entertainment venues and they are much easier for us to find seating than on Aurora, which really disappointed us. So we are looking forward to seeing what Iona offers in Feb 21.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Just waiting to get off Azura.

We never had any problem finding anywhere to sit in any venues, although Planet was heaving last night.

We’ve really enjoyed the wide range of eating venues on Azura.

Our next cruise is on FO’s Boudicca, so we are expecting a different experience, then after that we are on Iona, so it’ll be different again.

I’m not sure bigger or smaller is better, just different, the main thing is to adjust your expectations
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Manoverboard wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 12:19
Me thinks they will have a different ' type ' of customer rather than a shortage ….. :wave:
If my cruise on Azura is anything to go by, if you avoid the peak summer season and school holidays, P & O cruisers are the same as they've always been.
Gill

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Gill W wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 08:46

We never had any problem finding anywhere to sit in any venues, although Planet was heaving last night.

Our next cruise is on FO’s Boudicca, so we are expecting a different experience, then after that we are on Iona, so it’ll be different again.

I’m not sure bigger or smaller is better, just different, the main thing is to adjust your expectations
Good to know, Gill, as we are trying Azura out after the refit . Glad you enjoyed your holiday.

Maureen

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Gill W wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 08:50
Manoverboard wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 12:19
If my cruise on Azura is anything to go by, if you avoid the peak summer season and school holidays, P & O cruisers are the same as they've always been.
Indeed so but the Topic was about what would happen when the ' BIGGER ' ships are the norm and I posted accordingly.

You may / may not be right about Azura but she is destined to become a mere mid size cruising option.

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Kenmo1 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 10:34
Gill W wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 08:46

Good to know, Gill, as we are trying Azura out after the refit . Glad you enjoyed your holiday.

Maureen
Hi Maureen

When is Azura's refit? I'm due on her early next May and it would be good if the refit had taken place.

Many thanks
Maureen

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

MaureenB wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 13:36
When is Azura's refit? I'm due on her early next May and it would be good if the refit had taken place.
Hi MaureenB

Apparently the Easter holiday cruise 2020 was cancelled so that the refit could take place then. Probably lots of parents with school children very disappointed. We are on the cruise from 19/4 which PO squeezed in after the refit so have to hope it doesn't overrun. You will be fine in May.

Maureen

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”