Cruise Cancelled

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Cruise Cancelled

Post by Happydays »

I've just received an email from P&O telling me our January cruise to Dubai & India has been cancelled. The full season has been cancelled for that region must say it's a relief as we had been discussing it and were worried about the situation on a "British" cruise ship. We will get a full refund and if we want to book the Caribbean, Canaries with P&O shall get 10% alternatively if we want to go to the same region with Costa 20% discount or Aida 10% don't think we'll be doing that. Shall start looking for something else now!

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cruise Cancelled

Post by david63 »

The interesting question has to - what are they doing with Oceana?

Topic author
Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Sorry I didn't make it clear P&O are currently working on a range of cruises available to book from 20 August sailing from Southampton including Spain,Portugal & Canary Islands as well as a 35 pre-Christmas cruise to the Caribbean more to follow from P&O!

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

david63 wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 15:48
The interesting question has to - what are they doing with Oceana?
Oceana has gone off the radar at present.

They could do Canaries fly cruises out of Madiera, Tenerife or Lisbon, maybe Cape Verde
or maybe keep Oceana running of out Malta and do Cyprus and Crete and other Greek islands

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Yes, that's a big hole in the schedule on their website at the moment. The options are limited at that time of year, especially after Christmas. They're already well catered for in the Caribbean and are doing a few Europe for the hardier souls, and of course Northern Lights. I guess they'll have to look at destinations already well booked and see if they can add another trip. My guess is it will be piecemeal. Maybe a few bargains to be had, though of course there'll be cancelled cruisers looking for new options.

BTW, in looking this up I notice they have tweaked the website so you can now select two separate months a while apart at the same time without getting the ones in between as well. QBob will be happy.

p.s. now seen Happydays post with more info - much as I guessed!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Sorry to hear about the cancellation … it would have been a different and interesting cruise :(
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Happydays wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 15:46
I've just received an email from P&O telling me our January cruise to Dubai & India has been cancelled. The full season has been cancelled for that region must say it's a relief as we had been discussing it and were worried about the situation on a "British" cruise ship. We will get a full refund and if we want to book the Caribbean, Canaries with P&O shall get 10% alternatively if we want to go to the same region with Costa 20% discount or Aida 10% don't think we'll be doing that. Shall start looking for something else now!

Sounds like they done you a favour, plus discounts on another cruise. Win win :thumbup:

Topic author
Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Manoverboard wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 17:02
Sorry to hear about the cancellation … it would have been a different and interesting cruise :(
Yes, that's why we booked it 18mths ago! Wanted a change from the usual P&O Caribbean cruises in the winter as we've been on quite a lot of them and there's nothing new to see we also didn't want to go on Azura we were disappointed the last time we sailed on her, we don't fancy Britannia due to the size. Shall have to look again and see if we can find an alternative

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 16:18
Yes, that's a big hole in the schedule on their website at the moment. The options are limited at that time of year, especially after Christmas. They're already well catered for in the Caribbean and are doing a few Europe for the hardier souls, and of course Northern Lights. I guess they'll have to look at destinations already well booked and see if they can add another trip. My guess is it will be piecemeal. Maybe a few bargains to be had, though of course there'll be cancelled cruisers looking for new options.

BTW, in looking this up I notice they have tweaked the website so you can now select two separate months a while apart at the same time without getting the ones in between as well. QBob will be happy.

It’s a start :)

Happy? I think I was happy once. It won’t happen again ;)

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I must admit that this was very early in my thoughts when it originally kicked off

I have and never have had any desire to go to the middle east, but do feel sorry those who did.

Hopefully they can find an alterative holiday or book with another line.

I think it's the right call for P&O
Empty vessels .. and all that

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Quizzical Bob wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 23:25
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 16:18

It’s a start :)

Happy? I think I was happy once. It won’t happen again ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Interesting responses to this on Facebook. The usual comments about compo.

And speculation that P&O are lying and have actually sold Oceana!

The threats of being held hostage and even war in the area are clearly not reasonable justification for some people.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

We are booked for 2021 and the letter we got said
We are writing to give you some information about your forthcoming holiday on Oceana.

You may have recently heard that we have made the decision to withdraw Oceana from the Dubai and Arabian Gulf, which will impact holidays due to depart later this year and in early 2020. This is due to the increased tension near the Strait of Hormuz in recent months. We have made the unusual step of withdrawing Oceana from the region as there is insufficient time to guarantee the situation will change before Oceana starts her season in the Arabian Gulf in October.

We wanted to assure you that Oceana is still scheduled to operate a season within Dubai and the Arabian Gulf in late 2020. As your holiday is still over a year away, we hope that the situation will have resolved itself by then.

I can assure you that the safety of both our crew and guests is of paramount importance and we will continue to review this situation. At this stage, we will not however be allowing any free of charge cancellations. Should the position change, we will advise you as soon as possible.

We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Yours sincerely,

Paul Ludlow
Fingers crossed that the situation is de-escalated. We really enjoyed our Arabian Gulf cruise earlier this year.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 11:23
Interesting responses to this on Facebook. The usual comments about compo.
My understanding is that there is compo in relation to discount of a replacement cruise of up to 20% depending on which line you choose.
And speculation that P&O are lying and have actually sold Oceana!
Seems pretty much the norm for social media these days, when you are totally ignorant of the facts just make something up.
The threats of being held hostage and even war in the area are clearly not reasonable justification for some people.
They would be demanding even more compo if that happened. They would have to spend weeks practicing their sad compo faces and finger pointing so they could get their pictures in the Daily Fail.

JillD66
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by JillD66 »

I also asked P & O about the possible Oceana cruises sailing out of Southampton and they replied with Canaries, Spain and Portugal and a 35 day pre-Christmas Caribbean cruise.

When I queried the departure date for the Christmas cruise they replied: "The pre-Christmas 35 night cruise will be December 2019".

Does this mean a Christmas cruise or not!!!

JillD66
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by JillD66 »

We've never sailed on Oceana and were under the impression that the balcony cabins were small. Are they all the same size or does anyone know which cabins are larger (apart from mini-suites and suites!)

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I wouldn't say they were small but if your on the loo your neighbour will pass the paper if required. :o

Grando
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Grando »

JillD66 wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 15:26
I also asked P & O about the possible Oceana cruises sailing out of Southampton and they replied with Canaries, Spain and Portugal and a 35 day pre-Christmas Caribbean cruise.

When I queried the departure date for the Christmas cruise they replied: "The pre-Christmas 35 night cruise will be December 2019".

Does this mean a Christmas cruise or not!!!
We recieved this by email on 13th August from Iglu, hope it helps.

• 10 Oct 2019 - Malta to Southampton (Repositioning) - 10nts
• 17 Oct 2019 - Malta to Southampton (Repositioning) - 17nts
• 27 Oct 2019 - Canary Islands - 14nts
• 10 Nov 2019 - Northern Cruise Break - 7nts
• 17 Nov 2019 - UK to Caribbean Roundtrip including Panama Canal- 35nts
• 22 Dec 2019 - Canary Islands - Christmas & New Year - 14nts
• 05 Jan 2019 - Atlantic Coast Iberia - 14nts
• 19 Jan 2019 - Canary Islands - 14nts
• 02 Feb 2020 - Atlantic Coast Iberia - 14nts
• 16 Feb 2020 - Northern Cruise Break - Half Term- 7nts
• 23 Feb 2020 - Canary Islands - 14nts
• 08 Mar 2020 - Atlantic Coast Iberia - 14nts
• 22 Mar 2020 - Southampton to Malta (Repositioning) - 11nts
• 22 Mar 2020 - Southampton to Malta (Repositioning) - 18nts
We are waiting for a bargain!!! Having recently returned from Malta on a 2 week cruise which we thoroughly enjoyed.
Doreen

JillD66
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by JillD66 »

Many thanks Grando - perhaps we should switch TAs!!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

The scramble begins. Bolsover have started taking Pre-Registrations. With some prices that look like amazing bargains if you're an inside cabin person.

Topic author
Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

I got an email from P&O today about the alternative cruises but sadly none really appeal. looking at FO at the moment for January/February

Grando
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Grando »

We have just pre registered for a mini suite with Iglu for the 17 day Malta to Southampton but not holding my breath as they have already taken it off!
Doreen

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 14:36
The scramble begins. Bolsover have started taking Pre-Registrations. With some prices that look like amazing bargains if you're an inside cabin person.
Never going to happen.
Last edited by Stephen on 20 Aug 2019, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote: 20 Aug 2019, 07:18
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 14:36
Never going to happen.
If Oceana's balconies are as tiny and dark as some say, then you might as well be in an inside cabin.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Had a balcony on Oceana once for a 7 night Norway cruise,it was small not dark. As it happened it rained a lot so we didn't get too much use out of it.
Lindsey

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”