Pricing.

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Pricing.

Post by screwy »

Ok folks,thinking of booking Azura in January 21.At the moment there is an offer of ‘extra’ obc.Now it’s obviously cheaper to book the saver fair but get no obc or other benefits,however what I’d like to know is.....does the fare drop any once the obc offer ends or should I just take the chance and book saver fare now.?
Mel

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Pricing.

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We've never been in exactly that situation but generally I reckon the OBC is factored into the current price. We've met people who've got much more OBC than us but have paid more in fare so have been no better off.

Of course the cruise line is much better off offering OBC than a price reduction. For example if you get £100 OBC you don't get loyalty discount on that, so it may only be worth £90. And the goods you are going to buy with your £100 probably cots them less that £50 (maybe even less - a lot less in some cases) wholesale.

The other factor is how popular is the cruise? You could wait and find the cabins you want are then sold out. I reckon it depends on how keen you are on the cruise. If you really want it I'd say buy now and never look at the price again.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 12 Sep 2019, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

If it's an unusual cruise then best to book early but if it's as regular option then seek out a bargain at a later date … imo. :thumbup:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

This falls into the category of "what are Saturday's winning Lottery numbers" type of question!

Whenever I have been watching the price of a cruise the lowest price has generally been the opening price - but you are too late for that! There have been occasions when I have seen "special offers" where the "net" price has been lower due to OBC, but they have been few and far between.

I would suggest in this case that "standard rules apply" - if you are happy with the price buy and don't look at the price again and if you are not happy with the price then don't buy.

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Agree with Mervin. Depends on whether you want a special cabin, in a specific position.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We always go for the select fair because:

A. Choose the cabin you want (subject to availability).

B. Often more OBC depending on your travel agent.

C. Any coach transfer costs are included. Not a deal breaker.

Prices will fluctuate, but as Merv said, choose what your happy to pay at the time, be it select or saver fair along with any offers such as obc, parking or coach travel and then forget about it. If you want it book it. Simples :D

I can't stand braggers on cruises who say 'we only paid X amount'. So bl**dy what.
Last edited by Stephen on 12 Sep 2019, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We had one in the next cabin on our 28 nighter on Ventura bragging he'd got a bargain Saver 6 weeks before sailing for £x.

I didn't tell him we'd paid £(x-1500) when we booked earlier! And £BigX OBC! And the rest of the Select Benefits.

Topic author
screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

We normally book book select fare but we have a lot of outgoings this next 12 months so looked at saver,would save about a grand . With military and shareholders benefits plus the obc we would have a very nice lump,however not being big drinkers etc this isn’t an issue,would still have shareholders obc so would still be better off.However the wife doesn’t fancy fixed dining and always wants the C deck balcony.
Mel

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

screwy wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 12:11
We normally book book select fare but we have a lot of outgoings this next 12 months so looked at saver,would save about a grand . With military and shareholders benefits plus the obc we would have a very nice lump,however not being big drinkers etc this isn’t an issue,would still have shareholders obc so would still be better off.However the wife doesn’t fancy fixed dining and always wants the C deck balcony.
Sensible lady :thumbup:

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”