Worst than the Noro.? Stuck on board with Coronavirus

Topics that are specific to cruising

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Worst than the Noro.? Stuck on board with Coronavirus

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 12:16
My motto is be prepared.........Screwfix are selling good quality face masks for £2.99 each.......when there gone there gone.

I expect you'll be using this one knowing your fetish for leather :D

IMG_1977.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Manoverboard wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 12:27
My motto is be prepared.........Screwfix are selling good quality face masks for £2.99 each.......when there gone there gone.
Have you managed to consume the 40 tons of canned food you bought last year preparing for a Hard Brexit ?

:lol:

Sod off Mob.....you're trying to make me look a fool.....It was 2 tons. :lol:

:wave:

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 12:49

I expect you'll be using this one knowing your fetish for leather :D

IMG_1977.JPG
I bought a face mask not a crash helmet :wave:
Last edited by Onelife on 27 Feb 2020, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

We are going on a cruise on Fred O's Boudicca at the end of March, to the Canary Islands, including Tenerife.

At this point, we haven't thought of cancelling. We are keeping an eye on the situation, and will follow Fred Olsen's instructions. We haven't got an underlying health issues, so we haven't got that as an additional worry.

It's possible that the itinerary may be changed slightly, but that's part of cruising.

This cruise is part of 'Four Freds in Funchal. All the Fred fleet will be in Funchal on the same day, with additional events laid on, so I'm hoping this Coronavirus doesn't get a grip in Madeira, as it would probably be a big issue if that port had to be cancelled.
Gill

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Gill W wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 15:29
We are going on a cruise on Fred O's Boudicca at the end of March, to the Canary Islands, including Tenerife.

At this point, we haven't thought of cancelling. We are keeping an eye on the situation, and will follow Fred Olsen's instructions. We haven't got an underlying health issues, so we haven't got that as an additional worry.

It's possible that the itinerary may be changed slightly, but that's part of cruising.

This cruise is part of 'Four Freds in Funchal. All the Fred fleet will be in Funchal on the same day, with additional events laid on, so I'm hoping this Coronavirus doesn't get a grip in Madeira, as it would probably be a big issue if that port had to be cancelled.
Gill say hello to Chris Bedford, an old pub quiz member friend of mine, who will be doing the Port presentations on this cruise.
Last edited by towny44 on 27 Feb 2020, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Gill W wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 15:29
I'm hoping this Coronavirus doesn't get a grip in Madeira, as it would probably be a big issue if that port had to be cancelled.
Me too as we are there on land in March!
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 27 Feb 2020, 16:53, edited 2 times in total.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

kaymar wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 10:06
Onelife wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 08:30
Hi Keith,

Others may be able to advise better but l would check with your travel agent as to whether you'd still be entitled to a full refund (after having cancelled your cruise yourself) should your cruise be canceled by the Cruise line at a latter date.

Not a nice predicament to be in Keith.....For what it's worth my view is that if the Coronavirus continues to see 'no' significant reduction over the next few weeks then there is a real possibility that many cruises will get canceled anyway. If on the other hand your cruise goes ahead the question you have to ask yourselves is will you enjoy it knowing what could lie ahead?

It's one of them Keith

Regards

Keith
Exactly the questions we have been asking ourselves, Keith (among many others!). We booked through Bolsover and they advise leaving cancellation until the last minute to get back 50% as P&O are said to be "looking at" this cruise (J003) with a view to amendment or cancellation. Would we want a different itinerary? The way things are going, not sure that there is a "safe" one that we would be attracted to. :?

K
Decision made. We've cancelled and accepted a refund of 50% - £2,350. The cost of peace of mind :relaxed:

P&O refused to transfer the money they are holding to another cruise we have booked for September. We may well cancel that also and cut off our nose to spite our face! At least that would only! cost us the £250 deposit
Last edited by Manoverboard on 28 Feb 2020, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Apparently Braemar was refused permission to dock in the Dominican Republic today, as some passengers have ‘flu like symptoms’.

Considering that most ships are riddled with colds and flu at this time of year, it could be problematic if other countries take this stance.

It sounds like this was a turnaround port too. Fred’s website is telling independent travellers to find themselves a hotel for the night.
Gill

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Gill W wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 23:24
Apparently Braemar was refused permission to dock in the Dominican Republic today, as some passengers have ‘flu like symptoms’.

Considering that most ships are riddled with colds and flu at this time of year, it could be problematic if other countries take this stance.

It sounds like this was a turnaround port too. Fred’s website is telling independent travellers to find themselves a hotel for the night.
Hi Gill,

Bit of a coincidence because l sent this to a forum friend last night.......

The way l see things is that should any passenger report to the ships medical centre with a cough then alarm bells will ring and gawd knows what would happen if this happened on the last day of a cruise because l can't  see how the ship could allow any passengers off the ship. Further more should anyone have a chesty cough while on board they will be treated as if they have the plague.....It certainly won't create a friendly relaxed atmosphere around the ship.
Last edited by Onelife on 28 Feb 2020, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

kaymar wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 22:32
Decision made. We've cancelled and accepted a refund of 50% - £2,350. The cost of peace of mind :relaxed:

P&O refused to transfer the money they are holding to another cruise we have booked for September. We may well cancel that also and cut off our nose to spite our face! At least that would only! cost us the £250 deposit
I think you are wise to do so ' K ', there could be nothing worse than being stuck in a cabin being served a low residue diet.

You'll soon get over the loss :lol: :wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Manoverboard wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 08:54

I think you are wise to do so ' K ', there could be nothing worse than being stuck in a cabin being served a low residue diet.

Yep...l would have done the same.........but lucky for K Cheltenham is just around the corner and l have a couple of donkey's that could help replenish his bank account.

I'll be in touch.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Onelife wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 08:30
Hi Keith,

Others may be able to advise better but l would check with your travel agent as to whether you'd still be entitled to a full refund (after having cancelled your cruise yourself) should your cruise be canceled by the Cruise line at a latter date.

Not a nice predicament to be in Keith.....For what it's worth my view is that if the Coronavirus continues to see 'no' significant reduction over the next few weeks then there is a real possibility that many cruises will get canceled anyway. If on the other hand your cruise goes ahead the question you have to ask yourselves is will you enjoy it knowing what could lie ahead?

It's one of them Keith

Regards

Keith
Exactly the questions we have been asking ourselves, Keith (among many others!). We booked through Bolsover and they advise leaving cancellation until the last minute to get back 50% as P&O are said to be "looking at" this cruise (J003) with a view to amendment or cancellation. Would we want a different itinerary? The way things are going, not sure that there is a "safe" one that we would be attracted to. :?

K

You could always transfer the September booking to a new one of the same value within 12 months, that way you gain 12 months for Corona virus to run its course and hopefully cease to be a problem.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

towny44 wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 09:10

K

You could always transfer the September booking to a new one of the same value within 12 months, that way you gain 12 months for Corona virus to run its course and hopefully cease to be a problem.
Yes, we'll see how it goes, John but at least we have three months before the balance is due.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Onelife wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 09:06
Manoverboard wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 08:54

Yep...l would have done the same.........but lucky for K Cheltenham is just around the corner and l have a couple of donkey's that could help replenish his bank account.

I'll be in touch.
Thanks for your concern, chaps, but the good news is that there are a couple of midships balcony cabins on C deck going cheap for an Arcadia cruise to the Med at the end of April - we were cruising with friends who had the cabin next door to ours and who have made the same decision. P&O will probably accept £2k each for them if anyone is interested. They can then send us a discretionary finders fee :lol:

K

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I see we have a case in Swansea now.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Whynd1 wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 12:16
I saw that Lindsey. Tony and our daughter have decided not to do the High Street Car Boot Sale on Sunday, partly due to this. But partly due to the atrocious weather.
Gill

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Should be well contained as no one wants to go there :oops: :sarcasm: sorry Lindsey, Stephen put me up to it...honest!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 12:41

Should be well contained as no one wants to go there :oops: :sarcasm: sorry Lindsey, Stephen put me up to it...honest!

:lol: ....Snitch

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 12:44
Onelife wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 12:41

:lol: ....Snitch
:angel: :D

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Our daughters flight back from Tenerife is tomorrow evening. Will rest easier when they are back home.
Although with a new case in Swanseea now who knows what will happen in the next few weeks.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Whynd1 wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 13:24
Our daughters flight back from Tenerife is tomorrow evening. Will rest easier when they are back home.
Although with a new case in Swanseea now who knows what will happen in the next few weeks.
Hi Lindsey.

It was just on the news that thoses in the Tenerife hotel may not be flown back for two weeks?

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

She and her husband have been in a different hotel.
I am just wondering if they will have to have a temperature check before they board.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

A British male passenger on the Diamond Princess who was hospitalised in Japan has sadly passed away according to News reports.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

It's been announced by the leader of Swansea council that the affected person has a connection with the local comprehensive school. Its not far from us and our neighbours daughter attends there.

It's amazing isnt it this time last week it was mainly Asia now its Italy, Temerife and on our doorstep.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Coronavirus: Hunt for source of UK-infected case https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51684624

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”