Onelife
Captain
Captain

Re: Worst than the Noro.? Stuck on board with Coronavirus

Post by Onelife »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 16:25
Onelife wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 15:44
'keefy's finest Chocolates' :thumbup: :D
Shouldn't that be in the oxymoron thread?

I'll have to 'Agree to disagree' on the one Sir Merv :)

:wave:

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Well, that's it then folks. 2 cruises now cancelled. The one on June 5th on Aurora was a fairly easy decision because we only lost £135 deposit but the one on the Azura for 19th April after the refit took a bit more soul searching as we will lose £1408. However, Ken's health comes first. I think the decider was the chart which showed the various risks - Male, Cardiovascular disease, aged 80, Ken is 77) Under normal circumstances we would have cruised because Ken is well at the moment but until the 8th March we could at least recoup 40% of our cost. The sad thing is that we were so looking forward to our first balcony. Never mind. At least our son will be happy as he was worried about us - that makes a nice change from us worrying about him. We have deposits on 2 other cruises for later in the year but we will have more time to judge the situation before the balance is due for them.

I am inclined to agree with kaymar - £1408 is the price of peace of mind for us.

Maureen

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Sorry to read this Maureen, but if it gives you peace of mind, it’s absolutely the right thing to do. A ship is not the place to be at present we feel, and we feel lucky that our cruise was cancelled and we don’t plan to take another for a while.
Last edited by GillD46 on 03 Mar 2020, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Kenmo1 wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 19:41
Well, that's it then folks. 2 cruises now cancelled. The one on June 5th on Aurora was a fairly easy decision because we only lost £135 deposit but the one on the Azura for 19th April after the refit took a bit more soul searching as we will lose £1408. However, Ken's health comes first. I think the decider was the chart which showed the various risks - Male, Cardiovascular disease, aged 80, Ken is 77) Under normal circumstances we would have cruised because Ken is well at the moment but until the 8th March we could at least recoup 40% of our cost. The sad thing is that we were so looking forward to our first balcony. Never mind. At least our son will be happy as he was worried about us - that makes a nice change from us worrying about him. We have deposits on 2 other cruises for later in the year but we will have more time to judge the situation before the balance is due for them.

I am inclined to agree with kaymar - £1408 is the price of peace of mind for us.

Maureen

Not an easy decision is it, Maureen, but it still seems like the sensible thing to do and, the way things are going, it can only get worse. I suspect that the cruise companies will hold off cancelling cruises until they have little choice, but that must now be a possibility. Could we have waited, in the hope of a full refund? I still don't think so, but who knows? As you say, the price of peace of mind - yours and that of your family.

Not everyone will agree, of course, but we all have to make our own decisions.

Topic author
Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

We are about to join Azura on a b2b, two chances of a carrier to join us. Maybe an increased risk in two weeks time as the spread at home is expected to rise. It's no good now worrying, just have to be careful with surfaces and wash hands more regularly, but more importantly, get on with enjoying the cruise.
Don't worry, be happy

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

We still think we will go on our cruise in 4 weeks time, BUT it depends on how things develop over the next 2 weeks. You still get 25% fare refund if you cancel before 16 days prior to your cruise, so D Day will be 2 weeks from today, otherwise we prepare to go or hope P&O have to do the cancelling.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I'm in the same boat so to speak .
If I cancel today will lose 75% of the fayre. Have asked my ta to contact P and O to see what options are available. She did say they were being more flexible about moving bookings. not a full cancellation. However as I am so close to my sailing date it might not be possible.
It's an Iberian 13 night cruise. I k kw I will be careful and take wipes and gel but there will always be some who. dont bother. I asked this on Monday morning still waiting to near back, she said if would take a while as P and O were inundated with calls.

If you are temperature checked at Southampton and denied boarding it's not altogether clear where you are taken to next.
Is your luggage offloaded. For passengers travelling on their own you need to bear these things in mind.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Whynd1 wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 09:29
I'm in the same boat so to speak .
If I cancel today will lose 75% of the fayre. Have asked my ta to contact P and O to see what options are available. She did say they were being more flexible about moving bookings. not a full cancellation. However as I am so close to my sailing date it might not be possible.
It's an Iberian 13 night cruise. I k kw I will be careful and take wipes and gel but there will always be some who. dont bother. I asked this on Monday morning still waiting to near back, she said if would take a while as P and O were inundated with calls.

If you are temperature checked at Southampton and denied boarding it's not altogether clear where you are taken to next.
Is your luggage offloaded. For passengers travelling on their own you need to bear these things in mind.
If you are temperature checked and denied boarding then the chances are the virus will make its way on board anyway. For those who have cancelled l would just say this.......One case of coronavirue onboard and you will thank your lucky stars you cancelled.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

At the moment unless P&O say otherwise we are still keeping our cruise at the end of May.

Allot of scare mongering going on as far as I can see. One word from a government official and the panic buying has already started with people stocking up and emptying shelves. Apparently hand gel is rarer than hens teeth at the moment with pharmacies running out of stock within no time.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 10:12
At the moment unless P&O say otherwise we are still keeping our cruise at the end of May.

Allot of scare mongering going on as far as I can see. One word from a government official and the panic buying has already started with people stocking up and emptying shelves. Apparently hand gel is rarer than hens teeth at the moment with pharmacies running out of stock within no time.
Let me know if you need any face masks or hand gel.......mates rates of course :thumbup:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

No need mate. Mrs S is in the trade. Besides, I don't think washing up liquid and a T towel will cut it 😁

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

We booked on E020 when it was released, due to sail early September. Final payment is due at the end of April but unless the virus has cleared up, we will make the same decision as we have for J003 although this time at least we will [only!] be giving up the £250 deposit. It's not only concern for ourselves (although that has to be the main reason) but we would hate the thought catching it and the risk (however small) of infecting others. Not cruising is costing us a fortune! Over-cautious? Some might think so but for us, it's the right thing to do.

Living, as we do, on an island we probably feel safer than most, and we will spend the Summer enjoying our unspoilt surroundings, walking, playing golf, sitting in the garden, enjoying the sunshine with a glass of wine. In fact, we can't imagine why we even thought about going away in the first place. 😉😎

Be careful out there. :wave:

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

A pretty hard thing to say with Cheltenham just around the corner but l think we should put our country in a quarantine lock-down..All sporting events, concerts, shopping malls and where posible work places closed down for two weeks.

Act now or pay latter?

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Onelife wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 10:22

Let me know if you need any face masks or hand gel.......mates rates of course :thumbup:
There's a ban for mis-leading claims about face masks …. just saying :angel:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Manoverboard wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 11:44
Onelife wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 10:22

There's a ban for mis-leading claims about face masks …. just saying :angel:
One has to make a living Mob :)

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 11:31
A pretty hard thing to say with Cheltenham just around the corner but l think we should put our country in a quarantine lock-down..All sporting events, concerts, shopping malls and where posible work places closed down for two weeks.

Act now or pay latter?
Funny you should mention about work places Keith
Untitled.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51738837
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Stephen on 04 Mar 2020, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

kaymar wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 10:38
We booked on E020 when it was released, due to sail early September. Final payment is due at the end of April but unless the virus has cleared up, we will make the same decision as we have for J003 although this time at least we will [only!] be giving up the £250 deposit. It's not only concern for ourselves (although that has to be the main reason) but we would hate the thought catching it and the risk (however small) of infecting others. Not cruising is costing us a fortune! Over-cautious? Some might think so but for us, it's the right thing to do.

Living, as we do, on an island we probably feel safer than most, and we will spend the Summer enjoying our unspoilt surroundings, walking, playing golf, sitting in the garden, enjoying the sunshine with a glass of wine. In fact, we can't imagine why we even thought about going away in the first place. 😉😎

Be careful out there. :wave:
Anyway, I just won £2.40 on Euromillions. Another thousand of those and we will almost have recovered our money.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 12:20
Onelife wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 11:31

Act now or pay latter?
Funny you should mention about work places Keith

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51738837
A sensible approach Stephen

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I must tell Mrs S. It'll save me having to get my own lunch for four days :D
Last edited by Stephen on 04 Mar 2020, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

A woman's work is never done....as long as us men stick together :thumbup: :D

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 12:38
I don't like the sound of that :shock:

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 12:41
Onelife wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 12:38
I don't like the sound of that :shock:
Understandable considering our past history...but hey! l'm making a good recovery now that non-molestation order is in place. :thumbup: :D

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

What is needed is a better way of managing the way passengers are dealt with if someone on board is found to be infected.
To lock down a whole ship for a two week period, or even worse two weeks after the last detected outbreak, seems to be a very heavy handed way.
We're cancelling our Holland America trip because the American friends with whom we were travelling don't want to risk being imprisoned in an inside cabin for an indefinite period of time.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

The pre boarding checks that are being proposed in Southampton, are these being done by a trained medical professional.

My travel insurers Avanti say if I am denied boarding due a temperature issue then P and O should give you written confirmation of this. Under my policy I am not covered for coronavirus and as at Southampton you are still in the UK may not be able to claim for a refund of the cruise.

They suggest P and O havnt thought this through what happens to the luggage etc.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

allatc wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 13:25
What is needed is a better way of managing the way passengers are dealt with if someone on board is found to be infected.
To lock down a whole ship for a two week period, or even worse two weeks after the last detected outbreak, seems to be a very heavy handed way.
We're cancelling our Holland America trip because the American friends with whom we were travelling don't want to risk being imprisoned in an inside cabin for an indefinite period of time.
Not heavy handed at all alltac. ....should a passenger be infected they will already have had access to public areas of the ship therefore the only safe option is to put the whole ship into self quarantine.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”