MV Artania (Artemis)

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

MV Artania (Artemis)

Post by Ray B »

In the news today, the last cruise ship to offload pasengers from what we remember as the good ship Artemis now MV Artania. Just like the milk train from years ago, the ship made numerous stops on its way from Australia to drop off members of the crew on its way to the final port of call at Bremerhaven. On Monday the last eight pasengers who had decided stay on rather than to fly back home, disembarked.
They must have a good story to tell.
Don't worry, be happy

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: MV Artania (Artemis)

Post by Whynd1 »

I liked the Artemis a lovely ship.
Thanks for posting that Ray.
What a journey.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Lovely memories of Artemis - I once had a Cabin on the promenade deck - had to remember to close the curtains when it got dark 8-)

I was never sure whether anyone could see in :lolno:
Janis

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Jan Rosser wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 22:53
Lovely memories of Artemis - I once had a Cabin on the promenade deck - had to remember to close the curtains when it got dark 8-)

The way to tell is if there were queues of horny old men walking up and down past your cabin when your lights were on and it was dark outside. :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We only did the one cruise on Arty, to the Baltic in 2006 but it was a cracker and converted us forever to ' small ' ships. I still have, and even wear from time to time, a lightweight rain jacket as purchased in a sale ... reduced to £7 I recall ;)
Artemis in Warnemunde
Warnemunde (128).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Manoverboard on 10 Jun 2020, 09:41, edited 2 times in total.

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Jan, we also had a cabin on the Promenade deck, and when the light was on it was possible to see into the cabin. During the day it was fine, unless of course you put the light on. :lolno:

Midlandslass
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Midlandslass »

I first travelled on Artania with my late husband when it was Royal Princess.
My first solo trip was Acapulco to Jamaica thru the Panama canal when it was Artemis.
Such a shame that Carnival didn't recognise its potential and spend some money on it, Artania looked lovely after its refit, same with Adonia.
Biggest ships I will travel on are the Vista class.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Manoverboard wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 06:31

The way to tell is if there were queues of horny old men walking up and down past your cabin when your lights were on and it was dark outside. :lol:
I always wore dark clothing. Was going to say , and blacked my face but then realised i couldnt.
Mel

JillD66
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by JillD66 »

Artemis was just the right size for us. Big enough to have a cinema and shows but only about 1400 passengers (not guests!!).

We did around 4 cruises on her - including the first under P & O in June 2005 and the infamous last one in April 2011 that sold out in 20 minutes.
Being a smaller ship she went to smaller ports. Remember going to Black Sea - managed to see Yalta but too rough for Odessa. Also a maiden visit to Trabzon!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

screwy wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 14:35
Manoverboard wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 06:31

I always wore dark clothing. Was going to say , and blacked my face but then realised i couldnt.
Really, not even during one of P&O's formally approved ' Black and White ' nights ?

They'll have to go as well no doubt, where will it end I ask myself.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We did a four nighter on her. We had the classic experience of hearing a bloke moaning what an awful ship she was. He'd been on her four or five times it transpired.

jacksparrow
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jacksparrow »

My first cruise was on Artemis and I went on her numerous times. I wish they had kept her, even with the engine problems etc she was still better than the big ones . Shame they can’t get her back.
The pesky scarfaced pirate

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I did a Round Britain cruise on Artemis. The ship was small enough to sail under the Forth Bridge
Gill

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”