Not what I want

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Not what I want

Post by allatc »

On February 10th, before Coronavirus took off, I booked a Caribbean Fly cruise with P&O scheduled for February 2021.

The balance for this cruise becomes due at the end of October.

When I booked the cruise the expectancy was that it would be a "normal" (as in pre-covid normal) cruise.

It would seem now that the product I am given will be very different to that expected:-

I did not book :-

Expecting to wear a mask most of the time

Being served in the buffet as opposed to helping myself.

Only being able to go ashore on a ship's excursion

to be Socially Distancing

Having to book places in the theatre and other entertainment venues.

Is this sufficient cause to demand a refund of my deposit on the grounds that the product I ordered is significantly different to that being delivered.

If I ordered a dark blue Mercedes with leather upholstery, automatic gearbox and air conditioning and was told I was getting a red Mercedes with fabric upholstery, manual gearbox and no air conditioning I'm sure I would have no difficulty rejecting it.
Last edited by allatc on 19 Sep 2020, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Re: Not what I want

Post by Kendhni »

Personally I agree with you, the product has changed (and may change more).
There is one way to find out and that is to ask P&O, although I think all they will do is offer future cruise credit.
On the other hand I have serious doubts on whether we will see much cruising before the second or third quarter of next year.

I can't wait to see the back end of Coronavirus soon so that we can get back to normal holidays :)

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

PS: I would suggest upgrading the Mercedes to a Dacia Sandero.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

allatc wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 15:14
On February 10th, before Coronavirus took off, I booked a Caribbean Fly cruise with P&O scheduled for February 2021.

The balance for this cruise becomes due at the end of October.

When I booked the cruise the expectancy was that it would be a "normal" (as in pre-covid normal) cruise.

It would seem now that the product I am given will be very different to that expected:-

I did not book :-

Expecting to wear a mask most of the time

Being served in the buffet as opposed to helping myself.

Only being able to go ashore on a ship's excursion

to be Socially Distancing

Having to book places in the theatre and other entertainment venues.

Is this sufficient cause to demand a refund of my deposit on the grounds that the product I ordered is significantly different to that being delivered.

If I ordered a dark blue Mercedes with leather upholstery, automatic gearbox and air conditioning and was told I was getting a red Mercedes with fabric upholstery, manual gearbox and no air conditioning I'm sure I would have no difficulty rejecting it.
It’s a tough call that many of us will have to address at some time soon.
We’re unlikely to proceed with our June Med cruise basically because the product we thought we were buying is going to be so different from what we thought we had purchased.
I’m expecting to write off the deposit or alternatively moving it to a cruise well in the future.
We don’t expect to be having a foreign holiday next year.
U.K. for us for a while.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I would write off the deposit rather than either my life, due to an infected fellow passenger on the flight, or my enjoyment of what should have been a wonderful stress free cruise.

Go virtual young man :wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I completely agree with you - what they are offering is not the cruise I want to sail on. My son has to wear a mask and visor every day now when teaching and only the other night he said no way is he wearing one on board and all the other points you mention were a big no no too. We’ve already moved our deposit once from the cancelled Christmas cruise and can see us doing it again. To be honest I would forfeit it as it is only £50 but for my son it is £200. I agree with Ken it may be late next year before hopefully cruises resume as normal otherwise I’m just not interested.
Janis

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I agree with the above other than to say l think a vaccine will be found by Christmas, with a April/May cruise resumption.....l won't however be putting my money where my mouth is ;)
Last edited by Onelife on 19 Sep 2020, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Me neither.

Lindsey

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Would add that there are clauses in the booking process that allow for full refund. We used clause 40 but that is not applicable in your situation. Thing is ... do they apply due to ' Covid ' induced changes and my guess is that they do not.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

The way things are going throughout the world, I simply cannot see that P&O will be cruising in the Caribbean, or anywhere else for that matter, in February and if they were, then I cannot believe that anyone would want to join them. Making a final payment at the end of October would simply be gambling that they will cancel and refund, allatc. Presumably the deposit was not all that much and, at worst, this would probably go to FCC if you didn't pay the balance. Your choice, of course but for me, no decision to make.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Onelife wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 16:29
I agree with the above other than to say l think a vaccine will be found by Christmas
You can put your money on that one, they have found several agents that create the antibodies to combat coronavirus already, the question is whether or not they are safe to be administered and at what dosage, and that is unlikely to be known before Christmas. After which they have to move from lab production to mass production, build stockpiles and start rolling them out.
Last edited by Kendhni on 20 Sep 2020, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Kendhni wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 07:41
I agree with the above other than to say l think a vaccine will be found by Christmas
You can put your money on that one, they have found several agents that create the antibodies to combat coronavirus already, the question is whether or not they are safe to be administered and at what dosage, and that is unlikely to be known before Christmas. After which they have to move from lab production to mass production, build stockpiles and start rolling them out.

I nominate Onelife for testing....who will second him :D

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

The Following was posted by ' Ray B ' re refund clauses ... during Feb 2020 ish

" Moby, I think clause 43 may come into play.
I think PANDO are working behind the scenes to mitigate the changes, I hope so any how. "

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Stephen wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 07:59

Nurse, please bring me the extra wide bore needle

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Kendhni wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 08:35

Squeak! squeak! ;) :)

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Everything I do, I do it for you xx
Last edited by Onelife on 20 Sep 2020, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

:sick: .

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

....with the blunt end. And don't worry about the rust

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 11:05

....with the blunt end. And don't worry about the rust
You’ve inflicted enough pain on me without the use of any rusty needles…thinking about it, if the Mods had anything about them you’d have been banned years ago. :clap: :thumbup: :D

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Now I hope you're not talking about banning Stephen I can't allow that he plays the games with me 😂😂😂

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Happydays wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 16:36
Now I hope you're not talking about banning Stephen I can't allow that he plays the games with me 😂😂😂
Sorry Happydays, I didn’t know he enjoys playing games so much, If I can find a tube big enough, I’ll invite invite him to play “Splat the Rat”...

...as long as I can have twenty attempts to make it up to him :thumbup: :D

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Depends what games Happy had in mind. :o

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I just read a review of a very recent sailing on MSC Grandiosa on FB, of course I can no longer find it so am unable to filch a copy to share with you all. However it did give a full account of how it operates and the restrictions imposed on everyone. It is very much like most peoples fears and strict embarcation times and testing as you board, along with mask wearing, going ashore on only ship organised shore excursion and only fixed time dining slots are likely to deter many. But it is possible and on those ships like Grandiosa which have lots of onboard activities, then cruising can be done, even if its not as we remember it.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I still don't think it's going to be for us John.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

towny44 wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 09:44
I just read a review of a very recent sailing on MSC Grandiosa on FB, of course I can no longer find it so am unable to filch a copy to share with you all. However it did give a full account of how it operates and the restrictions imposed on everyone. It is very much like most peoples fears and strict embarcation times and testing as you board, along with mask wearing, going ashore on only ship organised shore excursion and only fixed time dining slots are likely to deter many. But it is possible and on those ships like Grandiosa which have lots of onboard activities, then cruising can be done, even if its not as we remember it.
I read the same article John and as you say the ship sailed with full restrictions... the ships staff were required to self-isolate for two weeks prior to sailing and the ships passenger list was reduced.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”