Not what I want

Topics that are specific to cruising

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Not what I want

Post by david63 »

Onelife wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 09:54
When you look at the staffing of cruise ships most would fall outside the suggested cut off point which then begs the question how can the cruise industry get around this.
There is a possible argument that anyone in the hospitality sector, along with any other "customer facing" employees, should be amongst the first to be vaccinated in order to keep the economy moving.

Also bear in mind that subject to availability it would be a drop in the ocean for the cruise lines to buy vaccine for their crews compared to not sailing.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 10:54
When you look at the staffing of cruise ships most would fall outside the suggested cut off point which then begs the question how can the cruise industry get around this.
There is a possible argument that anyone in the hospitality sector, along with any other "customer facing" employees, should be amongst the first to be vaccinated in order to keep the economy moving.

Also bear in mind that subject to availability it would be a drop in the ocean for the cruise lines to buy vaccine for their crews compared to not sailing.
I imagine they are already regularly testing the skeleton staff on the ships, so they will just extend that once they are allowed to re-start cruising.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I predicted a couple of months back that we would have a vaccine by Christmas and cruising would resume sometime around April/May 21.
Well it looks like my first prediction could be about right, however, having given my second prediction further thought l think l'll be needing to take another look at the tea leaves. If reports are correct the vaccine roll out will concentrate on the most vulnerable with a sliding scale of inoculation for the rest of us old foggies. What is not clear is where the cut off point comes with regard to who gets the vaccine and who doesn't. There is talk that the less vulnerable may not get the vaccine at all? This seems a sensible approach but it dose raise another question with regard to cruising. When you look at the staffing of cruise ships most would fall outside the suggested cut off point which then begs the question how can the cruise industry get around this. Something the cruise lines should be considering l would suggest.
There were reports in the paper the other day that the vaccine was going to be for the over 50’s only, plus health and care workers and some younger people considered to be in the vulnerable category.

There was also a pecking order for vaccinations. From memory, it was something like ‘ health and care workers first, over 85s, over 80s, over 75’s, over 70s, over 65’s, under 65s who are in a vulnerable category, over 60s, over 55s, over 50s.

To be honest, at this point a vaccine is barely on my radar, we don’t know anything about effectiveness or how often we’d need it, or even when it’s available. ( even though they keep saying ‘this year’). I strongly doubt that the roll out will be quick - so nothing much will be changing in the short term.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

david63 wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 10:54

If they have the jab it will prevent them being adversely affected by the virus but it will not stop them passing the virus onto somebody / everybody else .... surely ?

In which case it is not such a good idea after all :angel:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Manoverboard wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 11:40
If they have the jab it will prevent them being adversely affected by the virus but it will not stop them passing the virus onto somebody / everybody else .... surely ?
Only time will tell - but if the virus prevents you being infected, or probably more likely that it does not develop, then in that scenario you would not pass it on.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 13:01
Manoverboard wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 11:40
Only time will tell - but if the virus prevents you being infected, or probably more likely that it does not develop, then in that scenario you would not pass it on.
That would be my assumption as well, if the vaccine provides you with antibodies then these would ensure you dont get the virus and so would not become infectious.
John

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

That’s how previous vaccines have worked.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I still believe that the jab will prevent infection in the host but that it does not actually kill the virus which means that it can be passed on. Where's OL the Medic when we need him 8-)
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 14:48
I still believe that the jab will prevent infection in the host but that it does not actually kill the virus which means that it can be passed on. Where's OL the Medic when we need him 8-)
No vaccine kills the virus, it just gives your immune system the tools to help you negate its effects. Thus preventing the virus from reproducing itself and thus stopping you becoming infectious.
John

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Lesson 6…Don’t believe everything I tell you :lol:

I actually agree with you Mob…if you come into contact with the virus irrespective of whether you’ve had the vaccine nothing stops a person passing the virus on to others, should that person come into contact with the virus. If cruise lines can purchase a vaccine privately and the government restrict the use of the vaccine by age then the ships crew can say goodbye to any shore leave.

Who becomes eligible for a vaccine will impact on who gets to cruise so if the government do restrict the vaccine to lets say the over fifties then the under fifties can say goodbye to a cruise anytime soon…not me of cause cos I’m a doctor and I look a lot younger than my age. :thumbup: :D
Last edited by Onelife on 09 Oct 2020, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Onelife wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 16:09
Lesson 6…Don’t believe everything I tell you :lol:

I actually agree with you Mob…if you come into contact with the virus irrespective of whether you’ve had the vaccine nothing stops a person passing the virus on to others, should that person come into contact with the virus. If cruise lines can purchase a vaccine privately and the government restrict the use of the vaccine by age then the ships crew can say goodbye to any shore leave.

Ignore the highlighted sentence because I’m talking rubbish...not unusual for me :oops:

Who becomes eligible for a vaccine will impact on who gets to cruise so if the government do restrict the vaccine to lets say the over fifties then the under fifties can say goodbye to a cruise anytime soon…not me of cause cos I’m a doctor and I look a lot younger than my age. :thumbup: :D

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Unless things change with the restrictions on board ship, then vaccine or no vaccine, I for one won't be going on a cruise anytime soon ...........doctor O.
Last edited by Stephen on 09 Oct 2020, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Stephen wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 16:54
Unless things change with the restrictions on board ship, then vaccine or no vaccine I for one won't be going on a cruise anytime soon ...........doctor O.
Ditto.
We won’t be going abroad at all until it’s safe to do so.
I was reading the story of the four youngsters who decided to go to Italy on September 8th on holiday for a week.
They are still there .
Locked down in a hotel.
To say they are not happy is an understatement.
They blame the government for not getting them home.
Empty vessels .. and all that

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

barney wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 16:59
They blame the government for not getting them home
Of course they do - after all it was the Government's fault that they went away in the first place :moresarcasm:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

No good people blaming the government all the time. Like it or not, and things are not perfect but they are doing their best. People need to start taking responsibility for their own actions and stop blaming everyone else.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Just as well there’s no way of knowing how good their best has been' :think:

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

kaymar wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 09:58
Good decision, Whynd1.

We have c£2.5k sitting in FCC with no chance of a refund and no plans to spend it for at least 12 months.

But we are alive and well and saving loads of money by doing nothing and going nowhere. :relaxed: :yawn:
Amazingly, no sooner had I posted this than what should drop through the letter-box but a cheque from P&O for the full amount. It was in the bank while it was still warm and has now cleared. :clap:

We still have no intention of booking a cruise either this year or next but now we have full freedom of choice and have even more loads of money. :lol: The moral of the story? If P&O have any of your money that you would like back, keep trying.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

kaymar wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 09:13
kaymar wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 09:58
Good decision, Whynd1.

We have c£2.5k sitting in FCC with no chance of a refund and no plans to spend it for at least 12 months.

But we are alive and well and saving loads of money by doing nothing and going nowhere. :relaxed: :yawn:
Amazingly, no sooner had I posted this than what should drop through the letter-box but a cheque from P&O for the full amount. It was in the bank while it was still warm and has now cleared. :clap:

We still have no intention of booking a cruise either this year or next but now we have full freedom of choice and have even more loads of money. :lol: The moral of the story? If P&O have any of your money that you would like back, keep trying.

We done exactly the same kaymar. I think the glue on the envelope was still wet :D
Last edited by Stephen on 13 Oct 2020, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”