Discussions about anything related to Oriana

Topic author
qbman1
Captain
Captain

Oriana completely knackered !

Post by qbman1 »

Looks like the old girl has about had it - this just posted on social media:

"We apologise to guests due to travel on Oriana's X801 but our technical team has advised us that it's necessary for Oriana to undergo a 3 week technical maintenance from Jan 6 2018. As a result we will be cancelling this cruise."

Compo, anyone ?!

Topic author
qbman1
Captain
Captain

Re: Oriana completely knackered !

Post by qbman1 »

....and now this:

"We have contacted all those affected guests today and we are extremely sorry for the late notice and disruption."

Not half as sorry as "those affected guests" I'm sure !!

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I have a friend whom was booked on X801. Will try to contact her later in the week to see what else they offering in its place. That was a 50 night cruise.

Lindsey

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Whynd1 wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 11:42
That was a 50 night cruise.
In that case it will be costing p&O/Carnival a lot of money.

Bet they wish that they had sold Oriana instead of Adonia

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

If it were an animal it would have been put down long ago. I think we had the best of her back in 2006
Last edited by Stephen on 21 Nov 2017, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

They are apparently offering being able to transfer to another cruise at no charge and 5% off the next cruise - doesn't seem a lot this near to the sailing date - 6th January. I would imagine the remaining cabins on Aurora's South American Cruise will soon be snapped up or Oceana's 35 night one. It must be dreadful to have it cancelled at such short notice. The Oriana Christmas cruise is still going ahead apparently.

Carole

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

PandO say that a a slot has become available in the dry dock and are taking the opportunity to fix the problem. I feel the disappointment that those booked must have. as I would be, but it is a chance to rebook another cruise or get the money back and hope the opportunity presents itself again in the future. Better than the thing breaking down mid Atlantic or anywhere else during the cruise.
PandO have said that T & Cs will apply and that's final.
Last edited by Ray B on 21 Nov 2017, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry, be happy

Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

Recalling when American lines cancel a cruise at the last minute. P&O's offer of compensation could be looked upon as a tad derisory. One would have thought that it would at least mirror the cancellation charges levied on customers :-(

Topic author
qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Should they also pay interest on the money they collected three months in advance ?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

qbman1 wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 14:24
Should they also pay interest on the money they collected three months in advance ?
Yes - but with current interest rates would you notice?

Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

As she been advertised as for sale and is the oldest cruise ship in the UK P &O Fleet could she be sold !

Topic author
qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Sounds like they will need to pay a Turkish scrap dealer to take her away !!

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

You can't help but feel for all the people who will be so disappointed with this cruise being cancelled so close to sailing, I'm sure many will have been planning and looking forward to it for the last couple of years, shame on P&O/Carnival for not offering a decent level of compensation, there may be other cruises people can book but at this late date there will only be cabins left which others don't want.
Jo

Topic author
qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Absolutely, DQ. 5% is a derisory offer for the disappointment and inconvenience, even taking into account the higher price of a longer cruise. People will have arranged insurance, made all kinds of arrangements at home and financially......the list is endless

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Apparently the two Iberia cruises that they have put on in place if the cancelled cruise around selling well today. Lead in price £499.

Lindsey

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Ray Scully wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 11:24
As she been advertised as for sale and is the oldest cruise ship in the UK P &O Fleet could she be sold !
Not that old red herring, again. That ‘Advert’ has been there for 6/7 years and has absolutely nothing to do with P&O or Carnival.

Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

daib GC wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 13:21
Ray Scully wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 11:24
Not that old red herring, again. That ‘Advert’ has been there for 6/7 years and has absolutely nothing to do with P&O or Carnival.
You may be correct Dai. She wouldn't even cut muster with the new additions to the Thomson fleet :-(

colin parry
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by colin parry »

I've had two cruises (over 30 nights) on Oriana in the last 6 months. Ok, I may have been lucky but I can honestly say they were excellent and I would have no problem returning to her again. In fact I am already booked for April/May 2018.
Oriana remains my favourite although now as a single traveller, the balconies are exorbitant.

Topic author
qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

They're not exactly cheap for a couple Colin !! Mind you, the out of focus binoculars and tatty world atlas makes all the difference !

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Whynd1 wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 13:00
Apparently the two Iberia cruises that they have put on in place if the cancelled cruise around selling well today. Lead in price £499.

Lindsey
If P&O had put a bit of thought into it they could have come up with an interesting cruise to cover 24 days and whilst it would have fallen short of the original cruise it might have compensated a little for the disappointment.
Jo

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Quite agree D Q.

Lindsey

Ginger Monkey
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Ginger Monkey »

Hello All,

I would agree that 5% seems rather stingy as compensation, but that is from my experience rather typical of P&O these days. In my opinion it is all a result of P&O's costing strategy placing their headline prices as low as they do. I suppose it is what people want, but it's not very honest and the payback is the hard sell on board of extras and inflexibility in terms.

Regarding the replacement cruises, I would think it may be difficult arranging sometime more unusual at such short notice. To be fair the replacement cruises seem to have sold out, so there was obviously a demand there. Much as I'm not a fan of P&O policies and marketing, I'm not into looking a gift horse in the mouth.....So I grabbed a real bargain at 8.20am on Friday morning. Prices climbed rapidly through the day as "Black Friday" mania took hold and I suspect P&O sold most of the cabins for a fairly normal price.

I've been on Oriana three times over the last few years and now have two cruises booked on her for next year so I like the ship. Yes, she's the oldest ship in the fleet and is showing her age a bit, but for me she is far preferable to the newer large ships. Everyone's different and I prefer ships to be ships rather than a massive floating hotel.

Best Wishes
Nigel

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I've only been on Oriana twice, in 2007 and last year. She's not my favourite ship, but would be more than happy to sail on her if the itinerary was right.

I've P&O ever sell her, I hope she'd end up with CMV sailing from Tilbury. That would be rather handy for me
Gill

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Well my friend couldn't get a cabin on Aurora to S America all sold out. So she is booked on a 35 night on Oceana. Only balcony cabins left.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Ginger Monkey wrote: 27 Nov 2017, 14:40
.So I grabbed a real bargain at 8.20am on Friday morning
Same here but I can't help feel that it is great for us but at the disappointment of a lot of other people. Having said we probably wouldn't consider America and the Caribbean again, we had started to find out about a one-off insurance for America. We were keeping an eye on the 35 night Ventura for 5th February which had dropped to £1999 for an inside to the Caribbean and America, particularly because it was going to New Orleans and Key West, but overnight on Thursday it had shot up to over £2800 as some of the Oriana people must have transferred over. This meant that with the extortionate amount of insurance required just for 35 nights, the American cruise became totally out of our league.

The Canaries cruise is hardly a replacement but as Ginger Monkey said the early bookings were absolute bargains.

Return to “About Oriana”