Sue Kershaw Live from Oriana in the Med.

Reports about cruises on Oriana

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Sue Kershaw Live from Oriana in the Med.

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Cagliari - Sardinia
Thursday 18 June

This is the Capital of Sardinia and not particularly a tourist destination. The other ship in port with us was the Oceanea Riviera.

The port had put on a shuttle bus from the ship to the the port gate which was 5 minutes away. From there we got straight onto a mini bus at a cost of 8 Euros return they took us to the best beach on Sardinia. It was only a 15 minute drive. On the bus we met another couple we had enjoyed the embarkation lunch who had been on the Arcadia World Cruise 2014 at the same time as us and it turned out that our friends knew them as well from playing table tennis. They announced that they had just booked another cruise whilst on board for September on Arcadia, the same one we are all on.

We appeared to have been abandoned on a building site but it was only a 2 minute walk to the sandy beach. The water was very clean and clear. This beach is approx 6 miles long and it probably was better further round the bay but we dropped the towels on the sand and spent a few hours relaxing and swimming. Of course a few beers were involved as well. It was exceptionally busy as the Italian school holidays had just started. The Italian girls wear very skimpy swim wear and our men enjoyed the views on show. Lots of beach vendors around selling everything you can think of. They didn't appear to be doing much trade.

We returned on the 2 pm bus and after a quick shower I set up on the aft deck back in the sun again.

Another relaxing sea day tomorrow.

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

19 June

Sea Day to Gibraltar.

This was a perfect sea day. I think probably the best we have had in Europe. The sea was calm and the sky clear. I was on the aft deck by 08:30 and it was already very hot. My butler kept me fed and watered all day until at 4 pm I decided I had probably had enough sun for the day.

It was a formal night and the Black and White night also the Peninsular cocktail party. Plenty of drinks available and more just kept appearing. Another Marco Pierre White inspired menu which was excellent and to finish the meal my favourite port marinated Stilton.

Tomorrow we arrive in Gibraltar. It is an afternoon call arriving at 1 pm and departing at 20:30.

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Gibraltar
Friday 20 June

Another perfect morning at sea. The ocean looks like glass and the sun is hot even at 8 am. After a morning of soaking up the sun we docked in Gib at just before 1 pm. It was extremely busy as there was a food festival going on. The shuttles had to drop us by the petrol station rather than the main gate into town as all of the temporary bars and restaurants were setting up there. It won't get going properly until later in the evening and it's a shame we will have left by then. We are only going round the corner to Cadiz so it would have been a great opportunity to experience this festival of food.

We wandered up Main Street and made a few purchases then found a bar with a beer garden. Lots of other cruise pax in there as well.

It was a late sail away as we did not leave until 8:30 pm. Tropical party was on deck and the weather stayed good for it although a bit windy.

Our last port of call tomorrow. Sunday in Cadiz so I doubt much will be open except the bars and restaurants. Tapas here we come.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I love Sunday in Cadiz, as you say there won't be much open or at least that has been our experience but it is lovely to just sit outside a bar and people watch as all the locals are out and about as a family going to church, going to lunch and the nice thing is they all dress for the occasion and there is a wonderful atmosphere about the place.
Jo

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Cadiz

Another wonderful day with the sun shining and the temperatures sizzling. We docked at 8 am but didn't leave the ship until until 10:30. We have been here many times before and as it was a Sunday we knew that the majority of the shops would be closed.

We walked through the gardens and around the Promenade. The sea was so clear we could see the fish we would be consuming later for Tapas.
We did find a Chinese shop open which sold everything you could possibly need and even more that you don't. Our friends bought whisky for medication purposes to treat the horrendous cold which came on quite suddenly. Hope I don't catch it at least until after I reach home.

The bars were open so a bucket of 5 beers for 5 Euros sounded like a good idea especially when everyone else ordered either coke or coffee. Free WI fi as well once they remembered to turn it on.

Feeling peckish we set off in search of a traditional Spanish tapas bar. The clue is to look where the Spanish are eating but it was still not 1 pm so although the tapas bars were open there were only English in them. We chose one for the fish menu and the prawns were excellent but the mixed fried fish were a bit overdone but still tasty. We also had olives, serrano ham, tortilla, and Russian Salad. A lovely meal and a friendly bar which gave us chance to practice our Spanish as they spoke very little English. All too soon it was time to return to the ship for our final sailaway.

We waited for the aft deck to be cleared after the Great British sailaway then took a bottle of Champagne out onto the aft deck to enjoy the warm evening. As everyone was either in dinner or getting ready for dinner we had the whole deck to ourselves.

As it was Fathers Day we had booked into the Ocean Grill. This was a different menu and didn't start well. It was the same pre dinner appetiser as the first menu which was a small glass of cold apple soup. It didn't go down well the first time we had it and we were disappointed to see it served again and we didn't drink it. For starters three of us had ordered the crayfish cocktail. We have eaten here before on many cruises and had the crayfish cocktail but this one was nothing like previous ones. It was tiny tasteless tails. I took a forkful then decided not to eat the rest. We all agreed that it wasn't right and told the waitress there was a problem. She called over the maitre d. They took the cocktails away then after a few minutes came back and asked if we would like to order something different. We all chose the soup thinking that would take the least time to serve as the others in the party had already finished. When it finally arrived it was delicious as was the remainder of the meal. The lobster was huge and cooked to perfection.

It was the crew show in the Pacific lounge. We saw the last show and it was standing room only. This should have been in the theatre instead and normally it is. It was excellent and very funny in places. Some very talented crew on board and it gave them chance to shine.

Now 2 sea days and the end of cruise review to complete.

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Sue,

Enjoyed the cruise reports - thank you.

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Sea Day returning to Southampton.

Overall an excellent cruise. The crew have all been friendly and helpful with the exception of the reception staff.

The entertainment has also been very good with some different Cabaret acts to the norm. The Headliner shows have all been identical to ones we have seen previously and it is time for new shows to be introduced.

The food in the MDR has in the main been excellent with only the occasional blip and although we are on freedom dining, because there were 5 of us the restaurant manager kept the same round table by a window available for our use. This meant our waiters got to know our preferences and the wine waiter has really looked after us.

We had a look round the shops in the morning whilst waiting for the sun to appear. A Guess handbag jumped off the shelf and I managed to catch it and pay for it so it must be fate.

I managed to sit out in the afternoon but the weather is certainly preparing us for home. Only 18 degrees and cloudy compared to 30 degrees and sunny in Cadiz yesterday. What a difference a day and a few hundred miles makes.

The last formal night with another Marco inspired menu. The Beef Wellington was exceptionally good but we all took one look at the Baked Alaska which just looked like Arctic Roll with sloppy meringue piped on top and ordered different deserts.

The entertainment was the second show of Roy Locke and the Headliners performing the Queen Tribute act. The Headliners disband after this cruise after a 9 month contract and they certainly put everything they had into their last show.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

We are back in sunny Lancasire after an excellent cruise on the lovely Oriana. We disembarked earlier than expected. Captain Cooke is vey good at managing pax's expectations and gives himself 1/2 hour leeway in case of unexpected problems. We were generally 1/2 hour early docking at all of the ports of call.

Oriana does have its challenges but we still love the ship. I just hope that P & O spend the money needed to bring it back to its former glory. No one expects brand spanking new but adequate toilet, water, electricity and air con are the basics and unfortunately at one time or another during the cruise these were not available.

The water we were warned about and managed the situation, but the rest were not. Reception do get the brunt of all the complaints but they were on occasions very abrupt and it was the lack of communication which irked us the most.
Arcadia for the next two cruises then back on Oriana next year but well before the due date of the refit.

Sue

Return to “Oriana Cruise Reports”