Oriana X507 Pre-cruise

Reports about cruises on Oriana

Topic author
MicheleW
Second Officer
Second Officer

Oriana X507 Pre-cruise

Post by MicheleW »

Well, that's work finished for the week and now I can relax and look forward to our mini cruise on Oriana tomorrow.

Most of the packing was done yesterday, with just a couple of things left to throw in the bag. This afternoon I shall pack the dogs things for their 'holiday' and then after dropping them at Mums tomorrow morning for the dog-sitter to collect it's Southampton here we come! :wave:

Unfortunately, the weather isn't looking too good at the moment, so I am not actually expecting to make our first port of call on Wednesday which is Guernsey! Be nice if they took us to Cherbourg instead - I'd be able to stock up on some of my favourite wine. But if we can't get ashore it will give us more time to enjoy our mini suite, which we have splashed out on for the occasion of our 20th anniversary on Wednesday.

Will report back on the trip on our return.

Michele

PS. 10 pairs of shoes/sandals packed :D

Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Oriana X507 Pre-cruise

Post by Wina G »

Hope you have a great cruise Michele, Happy Anniversary too xx :clap:

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Have a good one :thumbup:
Empty vessels .. and all that

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

MicheleW wrote:
...for HOW MANY night ?!

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

We have some friends on this one ( first time with P&O ) I think they've chosen a good ship so I hope they enjoy it :thumbup:

I read somewhere that there are major roadworks on the M3 ?? ( sorry I'm useless with road numbers ) but I think the main motorway into Southampton ( maybe someone local could confirm ) make sure you leave yourself plenty of time if there are.

Have a great time and a Happy Anniversary.
Jo

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

qbman1 wrote:
MicheleW wrote:
...for HOW MANY night ?!
I'm not taking that many pairs for 18 nights!!! Have a happy anniversary and a great cruise wearing all those shoes.

Maureen

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Happy Anniversary to you and your husband, Michele. Have a great cruise.
10 pairs of shoes? For how long? :lol:

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

oldbluefox wrote:
10 pairs of shoes? For how long? :lol:
It's about 4 pairs a day !!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

... plus one's very own bobble slippers of course, in 7 different colours :angel:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

Just seen these messages from P&O on Facebook :cry:

Notice to those passengers joining Oriana today
Oriana has been unable to berth at Ocean Terminal this morning due to strong winds, we are awaiting a time for her to move to a terminal, where we can then disembark passengers from the last cruise. We will keep everyone updated but at the moment we do not have a confirmed embarkation time and therefore would ask you to delay your arrival until you hear from us again. We are sorry for this delay and will keep you updated via text message and here on Facebook.

From P&O Cruises....... "Oriana is still waiting for the winds to drop to a terminal where we can embark you safely. We are not expecting to begin boarding until early this evening so please plan your journey accordingly. We will continue to update you regularly and we will let you have a firm time as soon as possible. We are putting £30 per person on to your on board account so you can have lunch on your journey. Again we apologise for this delay."

Hope you don't have too much of a wait Michele xx

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Michele can pop into town and blow the £30 on a pair of shoes - just in case she doesn't have enough !!

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

New message on facebook saying that embarkation will not now take place until tomorrow . The 2 ports will be maintained and a 50% refund of holiday will be made. Not a good start to the cruise but even more money for Michele to spend on shoes. Hope PO have managed to contact everyone.

Maureen

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

What bad luck, especially for a short cruise.

It has been very windy, so I had been wondering how Oriana was doing.

I wonder what everyone will do - if it happened to me, I suppose I could feasibly go back home for the night, but that wouldn't be possible for everyone.

It certainly wouldn't have crossed my mind to check Facebook before I left - hopefully everyone was contacted by email or text
Gill

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

They had also been advised that due to novovirus deep cleaning would take place so embarkation would be a little later than usual. Wonder how that will pan out now with docking problems.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

If you had already left on say the eavesway coach very early in the morning what would happen, would p and o put you up somewhere

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Whynd1 wrote:
They had also been advised that due to novovirus deep cleaning would take place so embarkation would be a little later than usual. Wonder how that will pan out now with docking problems.
One person has posted on facebook saying when will we get off this cruise from hell. When someone else replied that they had enjoyed the trip, the first poster replied that they must have been one of the lucky ones with a working toilet. Sounds like there have been a few problems. Hope everything gets sorted for tomorrow. I wonder what happens to the people who have travelled down today and will now have to find and pay for accommodation.

Maureen

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Sorry Whynd - my post crossed with yours. Great minds think alike.

Maureen

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I was thinking ng that if it was me my eavesway coach departs at 8.15 am so I would have left home approx 7.30 am. Just wondered in that situation what would happen.

Shame for both sets of passengers what a way to end one cruise and start another.

Lindsey

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

It looks like PO are reimbursing accommodation for people who will have to find hotels for tonight and crediting people for CPS (presumably for those still stuck on board).. The cruise has been shortened to 3 days.

I suppose some people might lose a day's pay if they are due back at work tomorrow.

Apparently the Oriana is now berthed near to the QE11 terminal but it is not a safe place to disembark or embark passengers so presumably it will move this evening or overnight to a safe berth.

The response to how PO have dealt with this seems to be good from the posts on facebook.

Maureen

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Oriana X507 Pre-cruise

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Three tugs alongside her at the moment near the QE terminal so maybe she's on the move. The wind's still gusty but should decrease overnight. This is the problem with the older ladies of the fleet, they don't have the thrusting abilities of the younger ones.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

QB, wasn't that chap lucky to be rescued from the overturned tug last night. It sounds like sheer chance that someone saw his arm move. I had always thought that Southampton Water would be a fairly safe haven. It just shows how dangerous it could have been for Oriana trying to dock. I read an entry on facebook that indicated the Oriana had hit a wall.

Maureen.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Oriana X507 Pre-cruise

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Kenmo1 wrote:
QB, wasn't that chap lucky to be rescued from the overturned tug last night. It sounds like sheer chance that someone saw his arm move. I had always thought that Southampton Water would be a fairly safe haven. It just shows how dangerous it could have been for Oriana trying to dock. I read an entry on facebook that indicated the Oriana had hit a wall.

Maureen.
Yes indeed, very lucky.

Oriana is now on the move:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/1263025 ... ed/?ref=ar

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Whynd1 wrote:
If you had already left on say the eavesway coach very early in the morning what would happen, would p and o put you up somewhere
P&O have found, and paid for hotels for the night
Meg
x

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I hope Michele and her husband are alright, especially as it's their anniversary. At this rate she'll be down to her last pair of shoes and they've not even set off!! :lol:

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

oldbluefox wrote:
I hope Michele and her husband are alright, especially as it's their anniversary. At this rate she'll be down to her last pair of shoes and they've not even set off!! :lol:
Won't be a problem Foxy she can pop into West Quays this morning and buy a couple of new pairs :thumbup: :clap:
Jo

Return to “Oriana Cruise Reports”