Sue Kersh - 50 nights in heaven (onboard Oriana)

Reports about cruises on Oriana

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Sue Kersh - 50 nights in heaven (onboard Oriana)

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Morning all, here's Sue's first update of her back to back Oriana cruises - first to Central Med, then to USA & Caribbean :

Boarding Oriana and 1st sea day.

We travelled to SH on Saturday 19 March for an overnight stay before boarding a Oriana on Sunday.

Our check in time was 12:30 and we arrived at the Mayflower terminal for 11:45. As we were entering the terminal we met Karen who was the deputy cruise director. Unfortunately she was leaving Oriana to join Fathom. Such a shame as she is an excellent Deputy Cruise Director and will be sorely missed on Oriana.

We were shown straight to check in then offered tea and coffee and cake. We refused the cake as had eaten a large breakfast. Free newspapers were supplied and by 12:40 we were going through security and on board the ship. A much better boarding experience compared to our last cruise on Arcadia at Christmas.

We dropped our bags in the cabin and then went for the champagne luncheon in the Peninsular restaurant. We didn't stay long just had a couple of glasses then left to start the unpacking. All of our 7 pieces of luggage had arrived and it was a mammoth task to unpack and store everything. I will have to spend some time sorting it out as much of the clothes will not be required until the next cruise when we will reach the very hot weather.

Muster in Harlequins was heaving and standing room only. Unfortunately a passenger became unwell and was probably one of the two sets of passengers who never even started the cruise as we were late sailing due to them having to be transferred to hospital. Very sad start of a holiday for them. Hope they are both okay.

I did the gym induction and looked around the Spa area. My intention is to visit the gym each sea day to try to minimise the weight gain. The spa area is lovely with a large jacuzzi, steam room and Sauna and 2 heated loungers. A lovely comfy area to spend time if the weather is inclement and best of all it is completely free of charge.

We had pre dinner dinner drinks in Andersons whilst we waited for a table for two to become available. Our first meal was excellent and hope this continues for the rest of the cruise. After dinner we went dancing in Harlequins and met other passengers we had seen on previous cruises.

When the dancing finished at 10:15 we opted for an early night rather than the Headliners show.

Monday 1st sea day

A fairly gloomy cold start to the day but after breakfast of eggs Benedict the sun had started to burn off the cloud. Reports from smokers and other brave pax was that it was extremely refreshing on the prom deck.
The Bay of Biscay behaved extremely well and any new cruiser would have wondered what all the fuss was about.

I attended the line dancing then later in the morning the Battle of the Sexes Quiz. The men won by 10 points but plenty of time to catch up.

After a light lunch I visited the gym and met Chris Hamilton who would be entertaining us that evening and also Roy Walker who will be in the theatre tomorrow night.

We have never encountered such queues for freedom dining. We couldn't get a table for 2 which is our preference so instead of waiting we joined a table for 6. In future we will take a bleeper. Dinner took so long and although the company was good and the conversation flowed we much prefer our twosome tables.

We missed all of the early evening dancing and just about made it to the theatre in time to get a seat. Chris Hamilton singer/pianist was excellent. He has such an amazing talent and can play anything by ear.

We finished the evening dancing in Harlequins and met the dance hosts who we haven't come across before but we're very friendly and played dances that passengers asked for. The dance floor was extremely busy and lively.

Before retiring we changed our clock as the hour went forward overnight in readiness for our first port of call in Cadiz on Wednesday.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Sue Kersh - 50 nights in heaven (onboard Oriana)

2nd Sea Day to Cadiz

The sun was shining and passengers were using the pool. The aft deck is sheltered and in the sun. The sunny side of the prom deck was also very busy with chairs pulled forward hampering the walkers.

I had an early morning session in the gym but missed the line dancing. Time goes so fast whilst on board. The men once again won the Battle of the sexes by 10 points so we now have 20 to make up.

A lovely afternoon on deck chatting and play quoits. A perfect day at sea.
The 12 noon announcement put the temperature at 12 degrees. This was way off as if in the sun it was at least 18 degrees if not higher.

First formal night of the cruise and Captain Ashley Cooks welcome on board party. Captain Cook leaves Oriana when we reach Messina on the 31 st March and we have been informed that David Pembridge is taking over the ship.

We had an excellent dinner with friends. It was the Marco's Lobster menu and all of our plates were cleared. We washed it down with a couple of bottles of Sauvignon Blanc and managed to get up to the crows nest in time for the cocktail party and more fizz.

It was standing room only for Roy Walker and well deserved. I cried laughing . The old comedians are definitely the best and so very professional.

The ball was held in Harlequins with the Oriana Orchestra providing the music and the dance instructors Paula and Bob hosting. Once again it was well attended. The entertainment team on this ship are always around and great fun, so different to the team that were on Arcadia at Christmas. Mikey the Ents manager is very approachable and talks to as many passengers as he can.

Cocktail of the day Long Beach Iced tea.

Tomorrow is our first port of call Cadiz in Southern Spain.i

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Cheers Sue (and DTM)

Love to read these

It makes me quite envious when I'm working
Empty vessels .. and all that

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I knew Sue was doing the USA and Caribbean cruise, but I'd forgotten she was doing a b2B

I'll enjoy the reports, especially when the USA segment starts.
Gill

AileenB
Cadet
Cadet

Post by AileenB »

Thanks for the postings, Sue. Especially interested as we are joining you for the 35 nighter!

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Hi Sue

Always look forward to reading your posts.

Thank you DTM as well

lindsey

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi all from Sunny Malta.

Thanks DTM for tendering the reports. More to follow when DTM gets his oars going.

Happy Easter everyone.

Sue.

Jean W
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Jean W »

Thanks Sue. Like Aileen we're joining you for the 35 nights. So looking forward to it and being back on Oriana.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Have a great cruise Jean (and Aileen), just don't squeeze Garry to tightly when you get there (he squeaks!).

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Apologies for the short delay folks, the weather isn't too tender-friendly today :

Port of Cadiz

A sunny morning but a chill in the Air. We decided not to rush off early so visited the gym and spa area finally disembarking at around 10:30.
By this time it was warm enough for just a light jacket as long as we stayed on the sunny side of the street. Quite hard to do in Cadiz as the buildings are vey tall. A small park or plaza appears around every corner and the streets are like a maze.

We finally stopped for a drink at a local bar with seats in the sun. It was so lovely that we stayed for 2 beers and had free internet to catch up with e mails etc. Lots of local men were there just chatting and drinking coffee with a brandy. Just a lovely atmosphere.

We reluctantly left the sunny bar and continued exploring the town until we arrived at another square which was very lively with lots of locals around. We decided to stop here and enjoyed a typical Spanish tapas lunch. Lots of different dishes and a large glass of tinto verano to wash it down. There were trees lining the square full of oranges which we thought was very early in the season but it was a very sunny spot.

Our last task before rejoining the ship was a local supermarket to stock up on Schweppes tonic and Coke Zero. Neither can be purchased on board ship.

The aft deck was in the sun and I slept off the alcohol before getting ready for dinner.

We decided after such a big lunch to eat a little later and took a bleeper for a table for 2. We had another excellent meal followed by dancing in the Pacific lounge. It was 60s and 70s night in Harlequins and the Headliners show Reel to Reel in the theatre.

Cocktail of the day Pina Colada.

13°C Partly Cloudy
Puerto de Cádiz, Cadiz, Andalusia, Spain

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Sea days to Malta

Thursday 24 March

I finally managed to get up in time to attend the 7am stretch class followed by legs bums and tums. About 8 insomnia so in total with Olga the gym instructor putting us through our paces.

After breakfast the sun was on the aft deck and that was where I spent the rest of the day just relaxing and reading. There was a chill wind but sat in the sun it was lovely and toastie and very few cloudy patches to spoil it. Some brave souls were swimming and although the water was warm getting out was the problem.

There was a top tier peninsular lunch planned but we have been invited to tomorrow's one. There are over 400 top tier passengers on board hence the two different lunches.

Dinner was once again excellent. We asked for a table for 2 and took a bleeper expecting to dine around 7:15 but we hadn't even managed to order a drink before it went off. We were out of dinner in time for some early evening dancing before we went to see the film Mr Holmes which was on in Chaplins. I think this was the first time we had been in the picture house and was amazed how large it is compared to the screening room on Arcadia. We both enjoyed the film and it made a change to our usual routine.

There was lots going on around the ship with Chris Hamiltons second show in the theatre, a game show called Pursuit in the Pacific Lounge and dancing in Harlequins along with music in the Crows Nest, Tiffinys and the Lords Tavern. As much as I love Arcadia, Oriana beats it hands down for entertainment. The late night disco is in the Pacific lounge if I ever manage to last until midnight I will let you know how well it is attended.

Cocktail of the day Brodie's Bombay Cooler.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

2nd Sea Day to Malta

Another sunny day on deck and once again I managed to get to the gym for the 7 am stretch class. This time the instructor was David and very much a harder taskmaster than the lovely Olga.

It was our Ligurian lunch at 12 noon so after a shower and light breakfast I visited the library whilst Garry was in the spa and Levison was attending to our cabin. There is a room next to library called the Thackery room. It should be renamed as Gods Waiting Room. It has chairs like you see in an Old peoples nursing Home and even though it was only 9:30 am the chairs were full of a mixture of readers and snoozers, the silence only broken by the occasional gentle snoring.

The Easter Egg Display has arrived in Reception to remind us that it is actually Easter. Every day rolls into another onboard and it is hard to remember what day of the week it is. There are church services being held in various areas of the ship and there is a priest on board along with another minister.

Lunch was excellent hosted by the purser Michael Labbon who kept us all entertained throughout. There was also an ex P & O purser and his wife along with two other couples one we had met yesterday at dinner and cruise even more often than we do. I opted for the scallops to start followed by the fillet steak which was cooked to perfection and really would have fed 2 people. The wine flowed all through lunch and beyond as we were the last table to leave.

My bed was calling me and when it was time to get ready for dinner I could have stayed put. It was the 2 nd formal night so eventually I made the effort. We had pre ordered our meal the night before and had realised we would not be wanting to eat much which was well thought out.

The entertainment choice was Roy Walkers 2nd and final show in the theatre, Ladies Night Ball in Harlequins and Lisa Lawton who is a classically trained vocalist was performing in the Pacific Lounge.

Cocktail of the day Easter Chic. Unfortunately they have stopped printing the ingredients of the cocktail in the Horizon and after all the wine I consumed at lunch I didn't sample it.

Tomorrow we are in Malta arriving at 8 am but departing early at 1:30.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I recognise a lot of the entertainment names from Oceana, they're obviously the ones doing the rounds at the moment.

Mr Holmes was also one of the films that we saw, right at the end of our cruise. But the projector broke down 10 minutes from the end, so I don't know how it ended.

But I was interested to see that one of the locations (the station in Japan) was actually the Tilbury cruise terminal!
Gill

Jean W
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Jean W »

DTM Thank you for the good wishes. Love to you both xx

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Morning All, and a happy Easter Monday :). Next update from Sue :

Malta

We docked early due to another medical emergency and were alongside for around 7 am.

It was sunny on deck but the Captain warned of storm clouds brewing.

We wandered into town after dodging the Ho Ho bus sales people and the hoards of taxi drivers and finally the Horse and carriage vendors. All hoping to make a sale. We headed for the lift which for 1 Euro takes you up to the Upper Barrakka Gardens and a lovely park area with free Wi Fi.

It was still sunny but a little cooler than by the ship and I was glad I had my fleece on. Malta town was very busy due to it being Easter and the queue to go into St. John's cathedral snaked around. The cathedral closes at 12:30 on a Saturday with the last admission at noon. I doubt that everyone in the queue would have got in. We found the Marks and Spencer's and had a quick look in but the prices were far higher than back home.

On our way back to the ship we stopped at a waterfront bar and sampled the local beer. The sun was back out and much warmer than up in the town.

We called at the Dutyfree shop and bought some cabin essentials as well as some duty free tobacco and liquors. We are calling at Gibraltar but the prices here were better than the last time we called at Gib.

Soon after we got on board it started raining which is a shame as there was a deck BBQ Planned and because of this El Frescos was not open for lunch.

The rain soon stopped but it was rather chilly on deck. We eventually sailed away at 2:30 pm for a fast sailing to Sarande in Albania. This will be a new port of call for us.

We took a bleeper at the restaurant and went for a freebie pre dinner glass of champagne at the on board jewellers before pre dinner dancing in Harlequins.

After dinner we had time for some dancing before the headliners Killer Queen show in the Pacific Lounge. A very energetic show and they had already done one performance at 7:30 and had another one later on at 10:45.

The dancing and singing were faultless a fantastic show but the costumes looked like they had come out of a 'dressing up box'. Creased torn, ill fitting and huge holes in the dancers tights. When they are on stage in the theatre they are far enough away from the audience that these are not noticeable but the Pacific lounge shows these faults up.

There was a Magician Mark Shortland in the Theatre but we didn't go and see him and I haven't heard any reports from other pax. Lots of other entertainment around the ship with the Orchestra playing jazz in the Crows Nest and Horse Racing night in the Lords Tavern.

Cocktail of the day Honey Bunny.

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Dear Sue

You have bought back many happy memories of yesteryear, Oriano is a grand old lady . . and I just love old ladies

Lubbooo

Graham
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Afternoon all :). Sue's next two updates :

Sarande - Albania

As we were sailing between Corfu and other Greek Islands I was in the gym admiring the views whilst exercising with David who I am sure had been an army fitness instructor before bullying his way onto the cruise ships. He certainly put us through our paces today and he definitely loves the plank position!

First time visit here for us and despite the negative reviews about Sarande it was a very pleasant surprise.

A tender port but the tender operation was very well organised and after breakfast of scrambled eggs and smoked salmon we collected our tender ticket and within half an hour we were in the pretty harbour area. It helped that the sea was like a millpond. The sun was shining and quite warm.

It is an uphill walk to then walk down lots of steps into the main harbour and promenade walk. It does look as they are building a walk way round and it would make it much easier especially for those pushing the wheelchairs. The promenade walk is flat and very easy. Lots of little restaurants dotted around and at the far end fisherman selling their catch from the front of their boats. Lots of locals around with it being Easter Sunday. Very quaint with some nice local shops selling different jewellery and designer handbags. We were surprised that they were open on Easter Sunday. We saw quite a few beggars both old old and young. One elderly lady was sat on a wall with with a set of bathroom scales in front of her begging. I thought she was very innovative as it looked like she was charging to get weighed. She was actually just begging and the scales were for the fishermen to weigh their catch.

We found a bar with seats upstairs on a terrace overlooking the harbour. We were the first of the Oriana pax to discover this bar but once they saw us sat in the sun enjoying the local beer and free wi fi the bar became overrun with the British. The barman had to bring in extra help. We had only intended having a beer but we didn't have local currency and he didn't have change for Euros so we had 4 beers for 5 Euros. Tomorrow in Dubrovnik they will be about 5 Euros each.

The entertainment team did a sailaway which wasn't well attended. Those of us that did thoroughly enjoyed it and the Ents staff gave it their all to get everyone involved.

We were a little late departing due to a problem with one of the tenders but by 6 pm we were on our way.

We ate in Sindhu which was exceptionally quiet with as many staff serving as there were couples in the restaurant. Very little atmosphere and although the food was good and the service was excellent we won't be rushing back there. When it was Ocean Grill we would have eaten there a number of times during the cruise.

It was tropical night but unlike when we are in the Caribbean or even summer in the Med very few pax had bothered to dress tropically. It was too cold for the party planned on deck so this was moved to the Pacific lounge.

Cocktail of the day Chocolate Caramel Martini. Sounds far too sweet to me so gave it a miss. I used to sample every cocktail going but have become more selective.

Tomorrow we are in Dubrovnik and have booked a tour to see Cavtat with some free time in Dubrovnik before another early sailaway at 2:30 pm.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Dubrovnik

We docked around 7 am and the weather looked promising with very few wispy clouds. I gave the gym a miss as we needed to be ready to disembark at 8:45 and as it was Eggs Benedict for breakfast I didn't want to miss out.

Our trip took us past the walled city of Dubrovnik where we had a photo opportunity stop then onto Cavtat a delightful little town/village with a picturesque harbour and lots of coffee shops. The sun was shining and quite warm in it but a chill wind out of it. We had an hour there before we had to meet up at a bar for refreshments then walk back to the coach. The refreshments were disappointing with a glass of very weak orange juice and a jammy dodger. We gave both a miss and instead wandered back around the harbour watching the fish in the totally clear water of the Adriatic Sea. We tried to buy some recommended local wine from the supermarket but they wouldn't accept Euros and we didn't have any Kuna.

Our final stop was at Dubrovnik and the coach dropped us at the gate nearest to the harbour. It was a short but steep walk downhill into the centre and the temperature had dropped dramatically. This is a totally different place out of season much quieter and no where near as much atmosphere. We found a supermarket who did accept Euros so managed to purchase a bottle of local wine before making our way to our usual watering hole where the waiter recognised us from last September and once again sampled the local beer, and free Wifi before making our way back to the coach pick up point. An early departure but with the cold weather and lack of sun it would have been pointless to stay any longer.

We had an enjoyable dinner on a table for 4 with friends then we went to see the fabulous Victor Michael in the theatre. It is a few years since we have seen him and he was amazing. He has a large range from show music and arias. We will definitely be seeing his second show.

We have some extremely rude passengers on board who think it is fine to leave their seat in the middle of a song even though they had a centre seat and had to disturb a whole row in the darkness of the theatre. One person I could accept could have had a problem but it continued throughout.
The headliners were performing their Abba Tribute in the Pacific Lounge and I have no doubt that the early leavers had gone to the wrong venue and the late leavers wanted to beat the rush and get a front row seat for the later show. So frustrating for those of us who were enjoying the performance.

We finished the evening dancing in Harlequins to the resident band.
Tomorrow is an early start as we start the sail in to Venice at 7:15 am. I will hopefully be watching this from the gym with great high up views and full length windows.

Cocktail of the day Lemon Drop.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Venice

A very misty morning for the sail into Venice. Sam the port presenter did an early morning presentation as we sailed along the Giudecca Canal pointing out the main churches squares and buildings. Unfortunately this was also broadcast through the loudspeaker system and those that didn't want to be awakened at 7 am were complaining loudly to anyone who would listen. I was in the gym and enjoyed the commentary even though the mist spoiled the view somewhat.

We had booked the motor launch into St Marks square and by the time we arrived there the sun had burnt through and it was a very pleasant day. We had only visited Venice in the summer months when it was so busy we could hardly move. It made a pleasant change to be able to wander the streets without the crowds.

We stopped for coffee at the Rialto Bridge and watched the gondoliers
passing by, then had lunch just off St Marks square.

By the time we returned to the ship the sun was fully on the aft deck and it was very hot. I had an hour out there before sailaway when it turned extremely cold.

The show in the theatre was a new group called The FlyRights. A fusion of Soul Mowtown and Swing. A very energetic group and as we were late into the theatre it was standing room only which meant I could dance along to the music. We will definitely be there for their second show.

We gave the dancing in Harlequins a miss as we were shattered from exploring Venice and opted for an early night. After four consecutive ports we are definitely ready for a sea day before our next port of call Messina.

Cocktail of the Day Blue Lagoon.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Sea Day to Messina

A very welcome lazy sea day after 4 consecutive ports. I was in the gym at 7 am for an hour then after breakfast I went onto the aft deck. The sun was shining but quite chilly on deck. Many pax on the sun beds but a few degrees too cold for me. I stayed out there for a while reading but gave up and went in search of something to warm me up.

The Battle of the Sexes quiz at noon was quieter than usual due to the Caribbean lunch being held but the ladies fought a great battle and are now leading the men by 10 points. The Men are very unhappy and very vocal about it.

Our 3 rd formal night and another of Marco's menu with port marinated Stilton to finish.

Victor Michael was in the the theatre and the magician Mark Shortland was performing in the Pacific a Lounge. We finished the night at the masked ball in Harlequins. I won the prize for the best mask and won a bottle of wine which I shared with our friends. There were lots of lovely masks around and I am sure it was a difficult choice for the judge.

Cocktail of the day Kir Royale.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Messina - Scicily

Captain Cook made an announcement early morning bidding farewell to Oriana and passing the ship over to Captain David Pembridge. Captain Cook has a few days at home before flying to San Fran to join Arcadia for the last leg of the World Cruise.

I was once again in the gym at 7 am for an hour followed by a quick breakfast then out onto the sun deck. High temperatures of 21 degrees and lots of sun was forecast and I intended to make the most of it. We have been to Messina so many times and decided to stay on board and just read and relax in the sun.

We heard from our travel agent mid morning that all of our cruises for next year had been successfully booked with our first choice of cabin confirmed. Lots to look forward to.

Gradually later in the afternoon the aft deck filled up as passengers returned from the tours. There had been a clear view of Mount Etna and everyone I spoke to had enjoyed the day.

We had dinner with a couple we had met at the Peninsular lunch party who were great company and it was another excellent meal.

Suzanne Godfrey, a flautist joined the ship during the afternoon having flown in from Miami and had to perform in the Pacific lounge on her first night. No consideration given to jet leg when you perform on cruise ships for a living. We missed seeing her but the reports were excellent so we will make time to see her second show.

The Headliners performed Night of a Thousand Stars in the Theatre and dancing in Harlequins with the dance instructors hosting. They have certainly worked hard this cruise as there has been dancing every night and as usual 2 classes a day every sea day.

In the Pacific Lounge at 10:30 there was an Abba v The Beatles theme night before the Late Night Disco started at midnight. I still haven't managed to stay awake for that. The sea air certainly tires me out and even with a mid afternoon siesta I am ready for my bed long before midnight. It would be interesting to know how well this is attended.

Cocktail of the Day Brodie's Bombay Cooler.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

April Fools Day and 1 st sea day to Gibraltar.

A very misty start to the day and the sea had been quite choppy over night. The first time this cruise there had been any sort of movement on the ship.

There was an Environmental notice in the Horizon stating that at 9:30 a.m. we may have the chance to witness a very unusual phenomenon seen at only certain times in a century when the moon and sun are at specific angles to one another. When this happens there is a huge migration of giant frogs from Italy and Oriana will have to make a slight detour to avoid the large green group which will be about 500 metres in diameter. Head up to decks 12 and 13 aft to catch a glimpse.

I wonder if more pax went up to look at this than use the midnight disco?

It makes a change from the usual water skiing off the aft deck that we usually get on the 1 st April. We have just read a blog from friends on Arcadia and apparently the Arcadia has lost its sense of humour and no April Fool gags on there.

The mist gradually lifted and by the time my gym session and breakfast was over it was sunny and warm enough to sit on the aft deck.

The internet manager had a deal on that if you purchased an Internet package today he would double your time plan. As we are staying on for the next cruise and can roll the plan over I took advantage of this offer.

Another lazy day planned but was interrupted at midday when the clouds descended and the sun wasn't strong enough to burn them off.

We had booked a table in the Beach House for dinner as an alternative to the Main Dining Room. The menu has an American theme with touches of Italian. An excellent meal and well worth the supplement of £5 per head. This restaurant has outside tables on the aft deck and when we are in the Caribbean and can eat outside we will use this restaurant more often. Whilst we were there they served over 40 covers compared to the 8 covers they served in Sindhu when we ate in there.

A comedian / singer Bernie Flint performed in the theatre. I really didn't want to go but so pleased I did. He was hilarious and had the packed theatre crying with laughter. He won Opportunity knocks 12 weeks running and holds the record for the longest winning streak. Very entertaining and talented.

The Oriana Orchestra were playing Glen Miller music in the Pacific Lounge and as usual there was dancing in Harlequins.

Cocktail of the Day Strawberry Daiquiri.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

2nd sea Day before Gibraltar

Another bumpy night at sea and our new Captain found quite a few Mediterranean pot holes during the night.

We woke to very dark threatening skies but by after my daily hour in the gym and breakfast, by 10:30 a.m. we were sat in the sun on the aft deck. The sun lasted all day and my butler kept me fed and watered so I only moved to alter the position of my sun bed to follow the sun round. The only blip was for some reason known to only the powers that be the pool remained closed all day. It would have taken far too much effort to go to the sun deck for a dip. There was a handbag sale in the shops but even this didn't persuade me to move. The film Spectre was showing at various times during the day in the cinema. If the weather had been bad we would have gone to see this but it couldn't compete with the golden globe in the sky.

We decided to eat earlier than normal as there was a lot of entertainment on around the ship. We queued for freedom dining from 5:45 and were a long way back in the queue. Apparently the line starts at around 5:15 pm and the doors don't open until 6 pm. The same people in the queue every night so rather defeats the freedom dining ethos. We like to dine when we are ready not when dictated to by club dining.

One of the Headliner vocalists Robyn Tempest was performing her favourite songs in the Pacific Lounge. She appeared to be very nervous but gave a fabulous performance.

We then headed to the front of the ship as the FlyRights were performing their final show as they disembark tomorrow. Another brilliant Motown and Soul performance.

Ant and Dec are on Britannia with their Saturday Night Takeaway show. It was being broadcast not only through our cabin TVs but in the Pacific Lounge as well in between Robyn's show. As we don't watch the show at home we could think of no good reason to watch it on ship.

There was dancing in Harlequins and a Horse Racing night in the Lords Tavern.

Cocktail of the Day Baham Mama . Not heard of this before and wonder if it is a misprint and should read Bahama Mama.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I'm enjoying these reports, and was particularly interested in reading about Albania

In the 80's we had a 2 week holiday in Corfu, and the Albanian coast was only a couple of miles away from our resort, and looked very mysterious and forbidding.

It's good that Albania has now been opened up to visitors

When we were on Oceana, the Ant & Dec shows were shown live in cabin. Didn't see them all, but watched one afternoon on a sea day (afternoon due to time differences)
Gill

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I am enjoying these reports - thank you.

One of Tony's ex Practice partners, and his partner, cycled around the world after retiring - yes really, it took 3+ years - and said of all the countries they travelled through, Albania was their favourite.
Gill

Return to “Oriana Cruise Reports”