From Ventura in the Caribbean - Jenni's report.....

Reports about cruises on Ventura

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

From Ventura in the Caribbean - Jenni's report.....

Post by JenniC »

Friday 1st Feb - 32,000 feet above the Atlantic on board our Thompson 767 300. Left home at 04:30 and had a nice easy drive to the car park, APH at Copthorne and very good they are too. Arrived at the North Terminal just after check-in opened so no queue, quick and easy check in, no issues with luggage or hand luggage and then it was up to Garfunkels so Steve could have breakfast. Too early for me, so just a coffee. Managed to get all the toiletries, sun cream etc. in Boots and a nice bottle of CK perfume for daytime use. By then we were ready to go to the gate, and horror, they were weighing some of the hand luggage again, and we now had around 4 kilos of toiletries, so we just acted very calm and walked through whilst they nabbed some other poor pax! Nice pleasant flight and very good service/food.

Barbados - landed early at 2pm local time, on first coach, easy check-in and in cabin by 3pm, luggage arrived at 4pm. Our first time in an inside cabin, but so far so good. The figure of eight cruises has resulted in open restaurant times, no buffet, but a BBQ on deck. After unpacking we opted for the Beach House - very good as usual. It was then off round the ship for a re-familiarisation trip and then The Exchange for a quick drink before retiring to bed at 10:15!!!

Saturday 2nd Feb - At Sea. Up early due probably to time difference, so early buffet breakfast, so not busy and very nice. Very cloudy and windy but warm. Saw a huge pod of dolphins which was a bonus for day 1. Steve went off to watch MU and I updated this report in the (now) very warm sunshine.. Captains Gala Dinner tonight and also met our table companions - all good and enjoyed a nice meal followed, by Havanna and then the Exchange.

Sunday 3rd Feb - Antigua - An 08:30 tour meant another early start. I love Antigua and once again it did not disappoint. Our jeep tour was great fun and probably the bumpiest one I have ever been on, but so worth it as the views over Falmouth Harbour were breathtaking and the trip also allowed us to see the real Antigua and our guide Reg knew everything, even if he did repeat everything he told us twice! Dickenson Bay was where we spent a wonderful and very hot afternoon in the quieter part of the beach. Entertainment this evening was better than I have known with a very good Robbie Williams tribute act and an excellent comedian / impersonator in the Arena. A nightcap in Metropolis ended a great day and so to bed.

Monday 4th Feb - St Maarten - and very hot, only cruise ship in which is great as not too busy.. Now in Marigot in La Vie en Rose, 2 diet cokes so we can use the wifi.... More to follow in a few days assuming I can get Internet access......
Jenni

JohnTheDog
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: From Ventura in the Caribbean - Jenni's report.....

Post by JohnTheDog »

Great stuff JenniC keep it coming! You were lucky getting onboard as easy as that, it took us HOURS when we did it on Azura, queuing in the shed for ages in the heat for them to x-ray bags that had been in a secure area since the UK...why is that??

Holiday Planner
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Holiday Planner »

Hi Jenni

(I thought I'd just posted, but must have pressed the wrong button. I'll type it again and hope I don't end up posting twice!)

Lovely to read your report. I'm feeling paricularly envious, knowing that the last time you were on Ventura, I was there too.
I'm glad that the Beach House is still living up to expectation. We ate there 3 times on the GE.

We've only had outside cabins (and you're normally used to a balcony aren't you?). I shall be interested to hear how you get on with the inside cabin.

Enjoy! :D
Love
Angela
Angela

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

So pleased you and Steve are having a good time and thanks for the report. All's well here but you should see your in-tray!! :lol:

You just carry on enjoying yourselves. We'll manage!! :lol:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Have a great cruise Jenni ... :)
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Enjoyed that Jenni - thanks. :thumbup:

I look forward to the next installments.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Great to hear holiday has started well ... Looking forward to next instalment

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Lovely to hear a report from you Jenni - I love the Caribbean - you were so lucky to be the only ship in St. Maartens - I have been looking at pictures I took last November when there were several ships docked there and it was very busy. Look forward to reading more reports from you.
Janis

boysmum
Cadet
Cadet

Post by boysmum »

Thanks, enjoyed the read, have a fab time xx

Ingram33
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Ingram33 »

Great to read a cruise report, especially from the Caribbean!
We were on Azura last Christmas/New Year and too saw Robbie Williams tribute act - he is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!! We came off the ship on 2nd day in Barbados (as had flown in prev day) and he was also walking off the ship with a co passenger. My friend and I were amazed to see this guy (who not only at first glance but subsequent glances!) we thought really WAS Robbie walking right next to us!! We had to stop him and speak to him, when he then mentioned he was on board our cruise to do a tribute act. He was absolutely amazing! He did one of his concerts on the stage above the pool and went walking up the stairs to the higher deck, interacting with the audience and getting people involved. His mannerisms (not only his looks) are so unbelievably like the real Robbie. :)

Staff Davies
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Staff Davies »

Have a Fab time! Just got off as You got on.

Regards Staff

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

Re: From Ventura in the Caribbean - Jenni's report.....part

Post by JenniC »

Monday 4th Feb - St Maarten cont....., a walk round Marigot which was very pleasant and then back on the local bus to Philipsberg, Does everyone know each other on those islands, certainly seems so if the banter between the locals was anything to go by! lunch in the Hard Rock Cafe gave us the opportunity to FaceTime th family and chat to the grandchildren not great connection but was able to pan round the bay and show them the ship and the wonderful Caribbean Sea. After a lazy a afternoon on the beach it was back to the ship for a nice relaxing evening, took in Blame it on th Boogie (again!!) but a completely new set of songs and routines - very good too. did the 60s/70s quiz (era not age!), not sure where we came, but winners had 36 points and we had 32...... and so to bed....
Tuesday 5th Feb.... at Sea...Woke up late one of the "perks" of an inside cabin, so dark. So far still OK with cabin, may be the way to go in future so we can have more cruises :-) We had beds put in twin config as thought it would give more room, but miss our cuddles, so steward is changing it today! Spent day up on deck - no problem with sun beds. Formal night tonight and we both thought it was not as week adhered to as previous cruises which is a shame (IMO). Went to see Manuel Martinez who we have seen before and very good again, another nightcap in Metropolis and to bed....

Wednesday 6th Feb - St. Vincent... Walked to town, did not like it, felt uncomfortable so went back to port and shared taxi to Villa Beach. Very small and got very crowded, however I did get some snorkelling in- there was an American couple on the beach who hired equipment and did guided trips on the reef, accessible from the beach as I was the only one I had a 1:1 snorkel with AJ absolutely brilliant. Great British sailaway today and went to see Mark Walker again and then did Great british quiz in Exchange 15/20 so not too bad......got chatting to another couple and eventually got to bed at 01:30am.

Thursday 7th Feb - Grenada - the whole day was spent on Grand Anse, not my favourite, but easily accessible by water taxi. Very hot, so most of the time was spent swimming.. A lovely relaxing day. Came back just in time to see the parade on the town centre as Independence Day in Grenada, really was nice to see how proud they are and all the kids dressed in red, yellow and green. Another great meal in Beach House and then Watched Smokey Joe's cafe in Arena. General Knowledge and music quiz in Exchange and second this time... And the off to bed..

Friday 8th Feb - Barbados - change over day off ship for the day no need to be back on board until 11:30 tonight.... More to follow......but having a fab time :D
Jenni

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Thanks again Jenni.

Glad you're having a great time. :)

Mrs007
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Mrs007 »

Just caught up with your cruise report Jenni, sounds as if you and Steve are having a great time on Ventura again and enjoying the beautiful islands. So pleased that the inside cabin has worked out for you too and really looking forward to reading the rest of your report.

Love to you both, Chris and Dot xxxx :thumbup:

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

OMG for $3 we got a local bus from Bridgetown to Josey Hill right on the north of the island, drove all the way up the east coast. What a wonderful island, first time we have seen it like this. Now back in Holetown in a little cafe n the beach, beer in one hand, iPad in other, turquoise sea and cloudless sky. how is the UK everyone :lol:
Jenni

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Cold :roll: with snow forecast over the weekend :roll: I know where I'd rather be :lol:
Jo

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

Snow - that's a shame.... Just finished lunch so off to beach for a sunbathe and swim.... will post again next time we have Internet access..... Bye all :)
Jenni

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Cruise reports are back :!: Thanks, Jenni - a good read. Hope you enjoy week two just a much.

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

Friday Feb 8th - Barbados cont.... What a day, as I said in my brief post we took the local bus, 2 $Barbados each, to Josy Hill, all the way up the west coast to the north of the island. Followed the sea all the way - past St. James and Sandy Bay, through Holetown and Speightstown. Around all the country villages and then back to Holetown for a walk and lunch. Now in Bridgetown, people watching in a cafe we visited 4 years ago... Memories xx. Although still very hot it is a bit cloudy now, although to be honest it is quie welcoming.
Note to Jenni: when getting the local bus make sure you have the right local currency. only had US dollars, but such nice people, two school teenagers changed our $20 for Barbadian dollars... although I am sure they were thinking "more tourists without the right money holding us up"!!!!!
Dinner in Beach House again and very good. Enjoyed having the day in Barbados, but does not work as far as evening entertainment is concerned and not much going on.. but did meet some friends in Exchange so a very late night.

Saturday Feb 9th - at sea - breakfast in bed, up on deck 16 for a very hot and relaxing day. Formal night.. Went to see Hot Ticket, one of the better shows and then the pub quiz again.

Sunday Feb 10th - where is the time going.... Did a tour to the north of the island, Pigeon Point, Gross Islet etc. wonderful and a definite for a beach day next time we are in St. Lucia. Now outside the Rumshop bar in port and one big party.. there will be some sore heads tomorrow :-). Next instalment to follow ASAP. Hope you are all ok in the UK....
Jenni

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Hi Jenni.

Guess what?

It's snowing here...again! :x

Thanks for the reports.

BTW, you do realise that for your US$20, you got the equivalent of US$3 in return?? :lol:

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

:lol: mistake.. It was 10 US for 20 Barbados... So all OK.. Not so dumb after all..... PS Rumshop is heaving and I loveeee St Lucia xxxxxx
Jenni

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Hi Jeni

Nice to hear from you. Pleased to hear you are having a good time................... but you should see your intray. (Mob told me not to say anything!!) :lol: :lol:

Mrs007
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Mrs007 »

Hi Jenni, glad that you and Steve are still enjoying yourselves in the sunny Caribbean, keep up the reports. :thumbup:

Anne D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Anne D »

Hi Jenni

Just caught up with your very interesting reports. Sounds as if you are having a great time.
Glad you are OK with inside cabin especially if you are used to a balcony.

Enjoy the rest of the cruise. Weather here very cold and some snow although not as bad as last time!
Hope it has cleared up when you return home.

Anne :)

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi Jenni & Steve,

Great to read your reports. We happily swap between insides, outsides and balconies depending on the ship and the cruise.

Did you see Folkstone Park on your bus journey round Barbados. We are thinking of going there next time we have a full day in Barbados.

Enjoy your last days.

Sue.

Return to “Ventura Cruise Reports”