NCL Gratuities

Anything about any other cruise line and/or ship

Topic author
melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

NCL Gratuities

Post by melsea »

We will be sailing on NCL later this year. We have just been notified of an increase in what they call a surcharge which having looked it up its actually gratuities.
I looked at my invoice and we have not prepaid them which seems to be an option they give.
So my question is, although you can opt out can you increase or decrease these payments as you can on P&O ships and can you give it personally to your steward and waiters?

Mel

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: NCL Gratuities

Post by barney »

Best ask on another forum Mel

Can't recall anyone regular on here sailing with NCL but could be wrong
Empty vessels .. and all that

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I will ask my mate Bill for the latest info, he should know but there will be a slight delay cos he lives in Canada

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Bill says ;

Gratuities on NCL, as they are on other cruise lines we have used, are charged direct to the on-board account of the customer (or prepaid). To my knowledge they are not discretionary. The quotes from the NCL web site (shown below) calls them service charges with gratuities or tips as we know them are on top of that, as decided or not by the traveller. Given that you are already being charged via service charge, we tend to actually tip rarely. When we opt for anytime dining you have to prepay" gratuities". Their term, it really is a non discretionary service charge. In the final clause below they mention something about adjustment when service is not satisfactory, I doubt anyone has read that fine print. Not aware of how hard or easy it would be to have NCL adjust the charge.

NCL's Webite says ;

What about Gratuities ?
Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 18% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 18% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 18% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.

What's the service charge? / Why is there a service charge?
The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

How much is the charge?
Onboard Service Charges are additional.

How much are the service charges:
For sailings prior to August 1, 2015 rates are as follows:
• $12.95 for guests staying in Studio, Inside, Oceanview, Balcony and Mini-Suite categories
• $14.95 for guests staying in Suite and The Haven categories
Effective August 1, 2015 rates for all sailings are as follows:
• $13.50 per person per day for guests staying in Studio, Inside, Oceanview, Balcony and Mini-Suite categories
• $15.50 per person per day for guests staying in Suite and The Haven categories
(This will be automatically added to your onboard account)

Are service charges across the board for all guests?
All guests 3 years or older.

How do I prepay my service charges?
Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?
They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

Why would I prepay my service charges?
The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?
Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable.

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?
Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

OK ? ..... thank Bill :thumbup: :wave:

Topic author
melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Thank you MOB

I have looked at a similar detail that you sent above but interestingly on the NCL site here it has this written on there, its a bit confusing and open to interpretation, so none the wiser, the bit that says whether or not to pay. I will contact NCL to confirm either way.

"If you do not want to pay this up front with the balance of your holiday cost, but would rather decide whether or not to pay the charge on board, please ensure you tell us at the time of booking or any time up to two weeks before departure and we will arrange for the charge to be added to your stateroom account"

Many thanks for finding out.
Mel

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

It seems clear to me Mel ?

You will pay the service charge when your final payment becomes due ... unless that is ... you advise them that you prefer to have the applicable sums charged to your on-board Account.

As an aside ... you can then give extra in the form of cash to whomever you wish but it seems highly unlikely to me that you will be able to avoid paying the service charge in either of its guises unless Brits have special rights or their cruise fares incorporated the service charge.

:wave:

Topic author
melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

MOB
Thanks.
The English language is a funny thing sometimes. I have now re read it and I now understand what you interpretet to be and what I am seeing it as.
The wording is definitely different on UK sites to the US/Canada one as the wording you passed on is different.
Also on our invoice it shows that it hasn't been added and in fact it doesn't say it will be on payment either. We were also unaware there was a service charge, although I do remember seeing it when I went onto the their website when we had booked but thought it did not apply and that we could pay on board which you can and we would pay accordingly.
I will of course let you know how it goes.
:)

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

You do not have to pay service charge if you don't want to whether you are on a ship, in a restaurant or hotel. On my two cruises on P&O I have been delighted with the service so left the automatic gratuities in place and gave the waiters and steward extra at the end of the cruise.
In a restaurant that adds service charge to the bill I always have it removed and give the staff the tips they deserve if I have received good service.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

North American restaurants, Hotels and ships do however have rather different levels of expectation ...

Return to “Any Other Cruise Line/Ship”