First time with Silversea

Anything about any other cruise line and/or ship

Topic author
Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

First time with Silversea

Post by Solent Richard »

My wife and I recently completed a 12 night cruise on board Silver Spirit, the largest cruise ship in the Silversea fleet. We joined the ship in Los Angeles and sailed with her as far as Tahiti in French Polynesia. This was the first leg of her 64 night ‘Grand Voyage’ around the Pacific. Ports of call included Nuku Hiva, Rangiroa, Moorea and Tahiti.

Our suite fully met our expectations: it was an excellent size, practical, comfortable and equipped with excellent amenities right down to a pack of headed note paper.

Each accommodation deck had its own laundrette which amazingly were hardly ever used.

The quality and choices of food throughout the ship proved consistently high. Requests for ‘off menu’ items were not a problem giving fair notice while requests for additional daily items were promptly met. My wife and I are no lovers of cruise ship buffets but found the semi-buffet routine on Silver Spirit made the experience more than civilised.

Onboard services were excellent – the ‘Shore Concierge’ actually being outstanding – and, despite there being only a few Brits on board, the library produced full British national newspapers on a daily basis. The internet gave good connection speeds and internet packages were more than competitively priced. Tender services were amongst the highest level we have experienced.

A full review, along with more than 60 photographs of the ship, its food and the unusual destinations can be found on my cruise blog...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/201 ... to-tahiti/

Any questions?

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: First time with Silversea

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Looks interesting Richard, though I'd previously thought Silversea were one of those lines who included everything in the price, including the alternative dining venues. It looks wonderful but with their prices I'm a bit surprised you have to put your hand in your pocket ever once on board.

Topic author
Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Looks interesting Richard, though I'd previously thought Silversea were one of those lines who included everything in the price, including the alternative dining venues. It looks wonderful but with their prices I'm a bit surprised you have to put your hand in your pocket ever once on board.
Good morning Mervyn and Trish.

Definitely not though I was well aware of the charges applicable as I booked those dining options in advance. having said that my previous two cruises at this level both had 'complimentary Speciality dining, Oceania and Hapag-Lloyd: though I must say the level and quality of the food on offer in Silveursea's speciality venues was outstanding.

Its one reason why I believe Viking Ocean Cruises are going to give one or two of these 'established' top end lines a run for their money.

Thanks for the comment.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Viking Ocean Cruises, albeit all inclusive and balcony cabins, seem rather expensive at ( from ) £300 pppd.

There are offers available but the Ports that I have observed are run of the mill and that is a missed opportunity as far as we are concerned.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Manoverboard wrote:
Viking Ocean Cruises, albeit all inclusive and balcony cabins, seem rather expensive at ( from ) £300 pppd.

There are offers available but the Ports that I have observed are run of the mill and that is a missed opportunity as far as we are concerned.
It's all relative Manoverboard.

As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for and as far as I know Viking Ocean Cruises are well on track, having ordered already ordered more ships.

Sometimes the ship is the destination but if Viking follow their river cruising ethos you can guarantee that your 'run of the mill' ports will have an interesting cutting edge.

Look out for my review.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Cheers Richard
An interesting read :thumbup:
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

barney wrote:
Cheers Richard
An interesting read :thumbup:
My pleasure Barney.

It's good to try as many lines as possible but I'll always happily return to Cunard with my 'cronies'. :lol: :lol:

Return to “Any Other Cruise Line/Ship”