Cruise and Maritime...anyone been on Magellan?

Anything about any other cruise line and/or ship

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Cruise and Maritime...anyone been on Magellan?

Post by Dark Knight »

We have booked with C&M for next year on the Magellan
anybody been on this ship?

Thanks
Nihil Obstat

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Cruise and Maritime...anyone been on Magellan?

Post by Gill W »

Dark Knight wrote:

Thanks
We're doing a short 3 night break on Magellan in September, going from Tilbury to Amsterdam and Antwerp, so I'll report back.

I've noticed that C&M sail from various ports - are you sailing up north, or have you got to drive down here?
Gill

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

we sail from Newcastle, Gill
Nihil Obstat

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Dark Knight wrote:

Thanks
Kev, I assume you have read these reviews?
Sorry to hear you have jumped ship but you should be able to book lots of shore excursions and still have plenty of change left from your £2000 savings.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberrev ... hipID=1029
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Dark Knight wrote:
That's good, much less of a drive for you. I noticed that there's quite a few different departure ports. I think some of the smaller ships even depart from Hull! :shock: :lol:
towny44 wrote:
I assume you have read these reviews?
I've noticed the reviews seem uniformly dire..... but as ever, I'll sail with an open mind and hope for the best
Gill

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

I have seen a lot of reviews but not many about the Magellan, as it is fairly new, but the ones I have seen were pretty good on the whole, I tend to discount the rabid ones and the overly wonderful ones
Nihil Obstat

Soldier
I am banned
I am banned

Post by Soldier »

I am tempted . We can deal with the no frills and some of P & O is to please the regulars . But we like good dining . To be honest it might not be posh enough for what we like . Not that we are pretentious . We just like romantic dining and hate buffets .

suespud
First Officer
First Officer

Post by suespud »

Dark Knight wrote:
Hey DK..come to mine for a coffee :D :D before you go.

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Thanks Sue, white , 1 sugar and milk please :-)
Nihil Obstat

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

You may regret that Sue. And ignore the negative comments Batty. It might turn out to be rubbidh, but it's cheap rubbish,.

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Merv
for less than a £1000 each for 14 nights, I am hardly expecting a 5* cruise like Celebrity, we are happy on smaller , older ships and we are grown up enough not to believe the compo chasing ,gob on legs type who complain if the ships clock is too loud
if any cruise line were as bad as some of the more rabid complainers, would have you believe, they would have gone out of business, a long time ago
the low price allowed us to upgrade the cabin, factor in the tips,drinks package and port parking and still save £800 each, which is another cruise or an awful lot of excursions
as with all our cruises, we will go with an open mind and enjoy our adventure
Nihil Obstat

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Have you looked at the clips on YouTube. Magellan does look good and when Marco Polo was featured in a TV programme that looked pretty smart too especially for an older ship. Plus they depart from ports other than Southampton!!!
I would have thought Spud-u-like would have offered you something stronger than a coffee though!!! :lol:

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi Darkestone.....just been looking through the Iglu cruise reviews most of which give the Magellan pretty good write ups...that being said lf you'd asked l would have let have our tin can in Wales for half the price....you would of course have need needed your own sleeping bags and roll of duck tape to stop the leaks.

At the price you are getting the cruise and taking into account the good Iglu cruise reviews it sound like a bargin to me.

Regards

Lardyarse :wave:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Dark Knight wrote:
Merv
for less than a £1000 each for 14 nights, I am hardly expecting a 5* cruise like Celebrity, we are happy on smaller , older ships and we are grown up enough not to believe the compo chasing ,gob on legs type who complain if the ships clock is too loud
if any cruise line were as bad as some of the more rabid complainers, would have you believe, they would have gone out of business, a long time ago
the low price allowed us to upgrade the cabin, factor in the tips,drinks package and port parking and still save £800 each, which is another cruise or an awful lot of excursions
as with all our cruises, we will go with an open mind and enjoy our adventure
Perfect attitude Batty. Spot on. Have a great time. :thumbup:

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

For some reason I had doubts that we would like Celebrity, can't explain why but just a gut feeling, so a quick chat with the TA and off we go on C&M
the drinks package is a very reasonable £17 per person per day and tips are £5.00 per day each
so add on's came to £616
So for £2600 including a deluxe cabin, we got the Baltic cruise with 2 more ports :thumbup: and 2 less sea days, double :thumbup:
Some of the reviews border on the hysterical and inane but you get that on any site theses day, many are positive and well rounded, which makes me think this will be a good choice, SueSpuds offer of a coffee swung the deal :D
Nihil Obstat

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Dark Knight wrote:
Thanks Sue, white , 1 sugar and milk please :-)
Better make that skimmed milk and a sweetener Sue...Batty needs to lose weight! :lol:

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Oi, cheeky sod,
Nihil Obstat

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I'd never looked at the Iglu site before, and most of the Magellan reviews seem positive

However, I'm not reading too much into it, as the people on that site seem much more positive than the average reviewers on other sites.... Iglu reviewers even liked Britannia when it first came out! :lol:

As ever, I'll make up my own mind
Gill

cruisingtoski
Cadet
Cadet

Post by cruisingtoski »

I have just made a spur of the moment decision and booked a baltic cruise with C & M departs 6th September. Looked at a similar one with P and O but it was considerably more expensive and as DK suggests the savings will go towards another cruise. I'm a single traveller and C & M seem to have a reasonable number of single cabins at a good price. I have also read the reviews on Iglu and generally they seem ok but I'm going with an open mind and not expecting it to equal P and O....
I will try and write a review when I get back.
Denise

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

My dear old Mum has been on C&M many, many times as she lives in Gravesend and could get from home to ship in twenty minutes.

She really rated them.

She'd been Cunard & P&O but really liked C&M best.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

I have found more info on FB etc , so I am happier with our change of cruise company, also they sail from more than one UK port , so that helps as well
Nihil Obstat

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

cruisingtoski wrote:
I have just made a spur of the moment decision and booked a baltic cruise with C & M departs 6th September.
You get on as we get off - hope you enjoy it - I'll look out for your review in due course.

It's now just over 3 weeks to our cruise break, and I'm expecting the tickets to be received soon. I must say, it seems very retro getting your tickets through the post, as I'm so used to getting them online nowadays, and have come to prefer the online method.

We've been able to enter our pre-cruise info on the website and booked a tour online. It was all functional, but maybe the website looked slightly clunky.

Since we booked the cruise we've changed our car, and tried to change our car details online for the parking that is booked through C&M, but it kept reverting to the previous details. In the end I phoned them, and was told it was a known glitch, and they took the details over the phone. It's not just P&O who have website issues!
Gill

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Gill, I will be very interested to read your feedback on the Magellan and what you think of C&M overall
Nihil Obstat

cruisingtoski
Cadet
Cadet

Post by cruisingtoski »

Morning Gill,
Yesterday I received an email from C & M with my cruise tickets etc attached. I was expecting to receive them by post but I live
in France so wonder if that was why they were emailed to me. Anyway it's good to have them and it makes it seem real now! :P
Denise

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

They sail from Bristol now and again, so I will be interested to read what you have to say.
Gill

Return to “Any Other Cruise Line/Ship”