Anything about any other cruise line and/or ship

Topic author
cruisingtoski
Cadet
Cadet

Costa?

Post by cruisingtoski »

Morning all,
Has anyone on the forum cruised with Costa?
I have just seen what looks like an unbelievable offer, an 11 day fly cruise to France, Italy and the Canaries in mid October including flights £699 for a single (£489 for an inside)
I have cruised with P and O and many years ago with MSC but have never really fancied Costa but at that price well..... (a similar cruise with P and O but going from Southampton is double that price for a single).
I like the P and O style of cruising and they would be my first choice but this is just a quick break for a little autumn sunshine.
Any advice comments welcome
Thanks
D
Denise

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Costa?

Post by kaymar »

They probably lost a lot of custom two or three years back. Rightly or wrongly, it. may take a while for confidence to be restored

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Give it a go mate and tell us what it was like.

Always good to hear about other cruise lines
Empty vessels .. and all that

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi, Cruisingtoski

I've just taken a look at some reviews about Costa (as no doubt you have) and from what l've read l don't think you can go far wrong with what seem an excellent price. Ok some of the reviews were a little nagative but in the main most reviews were averaging 7/10 which to my way of thinking isn't a bad bet in having yourself a nice cruise.....even if it doesn't reach the standards you are used to with P&O .

Happy cruising.

Regards

OL

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Some friends have been on Costa twice. Once, on one of their newer ships, they enjoyed, but the other was on one of the older ones and they didn't. The thing they disliked on both was the announcements in multiple languages with English way down the list by which time everyone else was talking again.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Hi Mervyn and Trish
We have been on Costa cruises in the past. Our very first cruise was on Costa Romantica I couldn't believe how nice every thing was, been on that one twice and also on the Mediteraneana (can,t remember how to spell it!) We found at that time, it's now several years ago, that the food was very good (extra pasta course) The entertainment was good but more international in style for example acrobats, magicians and singers but didn't have quizzes I suppose due to the Language difference. As others will tell you ALL announcements in about 5 languages very little queuing as it can be a bit of a free for all just sharpen the elbows ;)) The Costa ships are more elaborate in their design in the public areas but we liked Costa Cruises more than Princess but both of those cruise lines were a few years ago Princess in 2008 and Costa even earlier I would use them both again if the price and ports suited us. I will say in fear of being shot down that I do prefer P&O I will now take shelter;)

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Sorry Cruisingtoski my reply should have addressed you! I looked at the last name instead of the Topic Author. Sorry to M&T as well :)

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Happydays wrote:
Sorry Cruisingtoski my reply should have addressed you! I looked at the last name instead of the Topic Author. Sorry to M&T as well :)
No need to apologise. Interested to hear your views. We do try other lines but we're mostly P&O people too (puts on hard hat and runs for cover) :crazy:

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Personally I wouldn't touch Costa no matter how good they might/might not be. Have we forgotten that they brought about the virtual demise of the ship building industry in Birkenhead when they cancelled a contract .? So, no thanks.
Mel

ITWA Travel Writer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by ITWA Travel Writer »

“Screwy” you do not tell the whole story!!

I remember writing about this at the time and searched through my back copy and found this which I had researched and wrote about at the time:

(2001 I think)

“Cammell Laird managers and unions agree that Carnival's purchase of UK tour operator Airtours' joint share in the Costa Crociere vessels marked the beginning of a collapse in a previously good working relationship between Costa and Cammell Laird.
A contract option on a second boat, to extend the sister ship the Costa Romantica by 45m, was also cancelled following the buyout of Airtours by Carnival”.

You see, behind all this intrigue lies a wonderful, honest and well run American Corporation which proudly owns and operates the UK’s finest, Pando and the C Queens.
John

Qui descendunt mare in navibus.

Topic author
cruisingtoski
Cadet
Cadet

Post by cruisingtoski »

Thank you all for your replies.
I was originally looking for a cheapish cruise with P and O as they were /are offering some very good OBC deals with select (interestingly quite often the select price works out cheaper for singles than the saver fare!) and also this cruise would put me in the next peninsular level and give me more on board discount for my cruise to the Caribbean and Amazon next March, I know any excuse for a cruise! 8-)
But.....me thinks that it would take rather a lot of spend on board to match a £700 + difference in price!
So think my current thinking is why not give it a go, I just need to check a few logistics before booking and who knows the price may well have come down even further by then!
If I do decide on Costa I will endeavour to write a review on my return.
D
Denise

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

We look forward to that, Denise

Topic author
cruisingtoski
Cadet
Cadet

Post by cruisingtoski »

Just a quick update, I have decided on this occasion not to cruise with Costa. Family commitments have arisen which mean I cannot now go on my preferred date so have had a rethink and looked at different dates and different cruises and have decided on a Baltic cruise with C & M . It was a late deal at a good price albeit not as good as the Costa one.
Anyway all booked now, I will attempt a review on my return.
Denise

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Thinking about a Costa cruise as it is one of the few that includes Guadaloupe (Death in Paradise location) in its ports of call.

Return to “Any Other Cruise Line/Ship”