Viking Sky

Anything about any other cruise line and/or ship

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Viking Sky

Post by david63 »

Anyone else see the Viking Sky on the Jane McDonald show last night?

I have to say that it did look an impressive ship, but you just know that a new ship of that quality with all balcony cabins staterooms and only 930 passengers is going to be expensive - and it is (Lottery winners only for the Owner's Suite!!)

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Viking Sky

Post by Meg 50 »

looked like there was no one onboard!
Meg
x

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Yes we've looked at Viking ocean cruises and they're way out of our league

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

In fact to put it in context a standard balcony cabin on Viking for a Fjords cruise costs almost double a suite on Azura. And then we'd have to find the air fares on top of that because it sails from Amsterdam to Bergen, not from or to the UK.

Now I know someone is going to tell me it's not the same experience, but the view outside the window is the same and while Viking looks lovely it does not look that good!

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 02 Sep 2017, 15:45
a standard balcony cabin on Viking for a Fjords cruise costs almost double a suite on Azura.
But with Viking you do get tips included, drinks at lunch and dinner and an excursion at each port - in fact they claim $200 per guest per day so the cost difference does become quite a bit closer - still a lot more though!

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

and the same problems in the launderette
Meg
x

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Meg 50 wrote: 02 Sep 2017, 16:36
If you can affort to go on Viking Sky then you can afford the laundry :lol: :lol: :lol:

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Looking forward to seeing this program when we get home.

However despite all our usual precautions, today we were mugged (in Rome), and although we're safe and sound, it's a bit of a shaker.

So, really looking forward to seeing this on the tv, especially as we've got a Viking Cruises booking.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Boris+ wrote: 02 Sep 2017, 19:11
Looking forward to seeing this program when we get home.

However despite all our usual precautions, today we were mugged (in Rome), and although we're safe and sound, it's a bit of a shaker.

So, really looking forward to seeing this on the tv, especially as we've got a Viking Cruises booking.
Sorry to hear about your experience, hope you only meant by price! As long as you're both safe that's the main thing.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

They took a mobile phone, but we realised pretty quickly. After a bit of an altercation we got the phone back ( or rather they threw it to the ground) and ran away. They had hidden it in a pashmina in a large bag! We made them turf out this bag, and insisted on being thorough. The phone is still working ok, but it put a dampener on the day.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

david63 wrote: 02 Sep 2017, 17:33
Meg 50 wrote: 02 Sep 2017, 16:36
If you can affort to go on Viking Sky then you can afford the laundry :lol: :lol: :lol:
not so much the cost as the peeps putting out of order signs up in order to 'bag' a machine!
Meg
x

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

We aren't planning to be doing any laundry; never have done, and I'm not going to start now.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Boris+ wrote: 02 Sep 2017, 19:47
They took a mobile phone, but we realised pretty quickly. After a bit of an altercation we got the phone back ( or rather they threw it to the ground) and ran away. They had hidden it in a pashmina in a large bag! We made them turf out this bag, and insisted on being thorough. The phone is still working ok, but it put a dampener on the day.
A bit :x . I'd have gone ballistic.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

david63 wrote: 02 Sep 2017, 16:14
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 02 Sep 2017, 15:45
a standard balcony cabin on Viking for a Fjords cruise costs almost double a suite on Azura.
But with Viking you do get tips included, drinks at lunch and dinner and an excursion at each port - in fact they claim $200 per guest per day so the cost difference does become quite a bit closer - still a lot more though!
Even if it is worth that much (how much are their tips!!!!) 8 x $200 = $1600, which is a lot less than £3000, which is the price difference in my example. And I was comparing a balcony cabin on Viking with a suite on Azura.

I guess it's like a Rolls Royce. If you need to ask the price you can't afford one. And I can't! :sarcasm:

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Watched the programme last night and the ship did look impressive and very luxurious, but a bit sterile and lifeless compared with P&O, not to mention far too costly for my wallet.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

towny44 wrote: 03 Sep 2017, 12:20
Watched the programme last night and the ship did look impressive and very luxurious, but a bit sterile and lifeless compared with P&O, not to mention far too costly for my wallet.
Same thought here.

Although when I started to watch it I did say to Mrs S get your purse out........I think the roll of the eyes :roll: meant that was another avenue closed.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Can't wait to see it.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

SULK! Just seen the program, liked what I saw of the ship, and now we've got to wait for our cruise. Glad we booked it, and looking forward.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Boris+ wrote: 03 Sep 2017, 05:19
We aren't planning to be doing any laundry; never have done, and I'm not going to start now.
I'm with you on that one. I cannot understand why, from day one of a cruise, you see people with armfuls of washing - and not necessarily those who are doing a back-to-back either. Do these people not have more than one set of clothes or even a washing machine at home ?!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

david63 wrote: 02 Sep 2017, 14:59
Anyone else see the Viking Sky on the Jane McDonald show last night?

I have to say that it did look an impressive ship, but you just know that a new ship of that quality with all balcony cabins staterooms and only 930 passengers is going to be expensive - and it is (Lottery winners only for the Owner's Suite!!)
We'll try to watch this tonight - sounds like it might be interesting (for entertainment value at least)

Return to “Any Other Cruise Line/Ship”