Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

CMV News

Post by Gill W »

CMV are looking for emergency funding.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus ... t-12008553

As a small cruise line, they are very vulnerable.

I’ll be watching this closely, as we’ve had three nice cruises with CMV, and we have booked for their new ship next May. I haven’t felt very confident about this proceeding, will see what happens
Gill

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Re: CMV News

Post by Onelife »

Gill W wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 17:12
CMV are looking for emergency funding.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus ... t-12008553

As a small cruise line, they are very vulnerable.

I’ll be watching this closely, as we’ve had three nice cruises with CMV, and we have booked for their new ship next May. I haven’t felt very confident about this proceeding, will see what happens
When the banks fail to lend then you know the writing is on the wall :think: ....sinking ships have little chance of resurfacing in these very turbulent waters.

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

very sad news we have had 4 excellent cruises with cmv and were looking forward to using them again :shock:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Similar story to our experience with the All Leisure Group sinking, sadly it means the demise of too many smaller ships :(
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Carnival are one of their major creditors, presumably they have not fully paid for their most recent ships, which were all from Carnival cruise lines.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I don’t think they’ve paid out many refunds. They’ve been quoting 90 - 120 days for refunds, and it’s about 90 days now from mid March.

It’s looking pretty grim
poole boy wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 22:22
very sad news we have had 4 excellent cruises with cmv and were looking forward to using them again :shock:
Likewise. We’ve done 3 with CMV and they were great cruises, good value for money and convenient local sailings. They definitely figured in our future plans.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

More not so good news for CMV according to this Report

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 10:24
I think there ate still some P&O crew members to be repatriated, so not just a CMV issue.
John

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

towny44 wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 13:04
Manoverboard wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 10:24
I think there ate still some P&O crew members to be repatriated, so not just a CMV issue.
Possibly so but the CMV crew members' situation would be of greater concern given the present reported plight of CMV.
Last edited by Manoverboard on 20 Jun 2020, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

My understanding is the problem is in part the lack of flights to India. And maybe CMV don't have the funds to take staff home by ship. But P&O, Cunard and Princess have. Shame in the interest of humanity they couldn't have offered some cabins for CMV crew on those ships, even if they had to charge, at cost, which mainly would have been food, for them.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 17:38
My understanding is the problem is in part the lack of flights to India. And maybe CMV don't have the funds to take staff home by ship. But P&O, Cunard and Princess have. Shame in the interest of humanity they couldn't have offered some cabins for CMV crew on those ships, even if they had to charge, at cost, which mainly would have been food, for them.
If one is about to go into Administration nobody is going to offer assistance at any cost nor would they wish to get involved until the Administration process is under way and agreement for such actions could be approved.

The above is as wot happened with the All Leisure Group like wot also went into Administration.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 17:38
My understanding is that P&O crew have been flown home because the Indian govt refused permission for a ship to dock.
John

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Bad news this evening. CMV have ceased trading.

I’m very sad hear this. We had 3 nice cruises with CMV, once on Magellan and twice on Columbus. We really liked Columbus - as an ex P&O ship, she still had that P&O feeling so we felt very much at home. I liked the itineraries too and very convenient to sail from Tilbury.

In February we booked a 3 night cruise for May 2021 on the new ship Amy Johnson. We’ve had an email to tell us what to do. Looks like I’ll have to claim from the credit card company. It’s ‘only’ £200, so I’m fairly relaxed about it - I’d be more worried if it was £1000’s like the people who’ve had their cruises cancelled back in March.
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

That's sad. Never cruised with them but they seemed a decent company.

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 21:46
That's sad. Never cruised with them but they seemed a decent company.
In common with many travel companies they’ve had bad press about the refund situation, but prior to that, I’d found the admin to be fine, and the crew were great. I was on Columbus last May, and had a lovely time on a 10 day British Isles cruise. I feel so sorry for everyone who worked so hard.
Gill

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Such a shame.
Another small company gone paving the way for the big boys.
It’s a pity for them and folk who had booked.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Such a shame Gill - I only did one cruise with them and it was from Cardiff which is literally an hour away from me - amazing and my friends and I loved it - yes it was small and wasn't glitzy but the food was excellent and the entertainment really good with such limited facilities. We said we would do another cruise with them but hadn't got around to it. I would like to have cruised on Columbus - had a few cruises on her when she was the old Arcadia with P&O. Oh dear things are not looking good are they - I am constantly getting emails from cruise lines but at the moment am not tempted until it is safe.
Janis

cruisingtoski
Cadet
Cadet

Post by cruisingtoski »

Such sad news🙁
I’ve been on three cruises with CMV, two on the Marco Polo and one on the Magellan. The two on Marco Polo were on one occasion from Bristol and back to Cardiff and the other to and from Cardiff - perfect as I could stay with my Welsh relatives (and travelling companions!) the night before. I Loved the ships and the product offered.
Last weekend I booked to go on the Amy Johnson to Greenland in Aug 2021!! I booked through a TA so will contact them today about my deposit refund . Paid with my CC so if nothing from TA hopefully will be able to claim it back from the CC co🤞
Denise

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We experienced the same disappointment when the ‘ All leisure Group ‘ suffered the same fate. it's very sad :(

You will shortly receive communication from the Administrators and procedures for making an ABTA claim. My advice is to keep the correspondence for copying purposes but to make a claim on the Credit Card Issuer instead. They will send you a very long form with a requirement for you to prove that the Company has gone bust and that you made a payment using their card so fingers crossed that you held onto the appropriate Statement. We received our £600 deposit within a reasonable period but it was paid as a credit to the Card that was originally used. Our Insurer at that time, Saga, advised that they would refund our money but only if the Credit Card Company did not.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

It's very wrong that they should be Yakima g bookings and then 2 days later go under.

I also felt it was wrong that P and O took bookings for Oceana and then announced she was leaving just a few days later.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Bit sad as I recently found out that have a few sailings from Liverpool which would be perfect for us (less than an hour away)

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Whynd1 wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 07:44
It's very wrong that they should be Yakima g bookings and then 2 days later go under.

I also felt it was wrong that P and O took bookings for Oceana and then announced she was leaving just a few days later.
I suspect it would be against some law or other for firms in danger of going bust to signal that possibility by stopping taking bookings,
John

cruisingtoski
Cadet
Cadet

Post by cruisingtoski »

Manoverboard wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 07:30
We experienced the same disappointment when the ‘ All leisure Group ‘ suffered the same fate. it's very sad :(

You will shortly receive communication from the Administrators and procedures for making an ABTA claim. My advice is to keep the correspondence for copying purposes but to make a claim on the Credit Card Issuer instead. They will send you a very long form with a requirement for you to prove that the Company has gone bust and that you made a payment using their card so fingers crossed that you held onto the appropriate Statement. We received our £600 deposit within a reasonable period but it was paid as a credit to the Card that was originally used. Our Insurer at that time, Saga, advised that they would refund our money but only if the Credit Card Company did not.
Thanks for the advice about the CC route - I’m also going to ring the TA today and see what they say.
It’s just unbelievable that they can still take bookings two days before going into liquidation. I often book direct with the co but this time booked with a TA as it was a bit cheaper !
Denise

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

cruisingtoski wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 09:16
Thanks for the advice about the CC route - I’m also going to ring the TA today and see what they say.
It’s just unbelievable that they can still take bookings two days before going into liquidation. I often book direct with the co but this time booked with a TA as it was a bit cheaper !
You are most welcome ... the staff taking bookings would have no idea at all that they were about to go bust and to cease trading would have to come from the very top. I guess they were counting the beans on a day by day / hour by hour basis and only when it looked utterly hopeless would they pull the plug ... so, cheer up, there's no point in you getting upset about it.

:wave:

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I have had my final refund from P and O today for an October cruise on Arcadia that was cancelled by them.

Return to “Any Other Cruise Line/Ship”