First Cruise?

Questions from those who are new to cruising

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Re: First Cruise?

Post by Onelife »

Hi Westie

I've done it once before but my wife said she will divorce me if l try it again...see you in May :lol:

Welcome to the forum.

OL

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote:
Hi Westie

I've done it once before but my wife said she will divorce me if l try it again...see you in May :lol:

Welcome to the forum.

OL
And the camera wasn't fast enough to catch his wallet being brought out in the cloud of dust :)

martinehenry
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by martinehenry »

Hi all,
NIce to meet you all & really nice discussion is going on. Actually, I am newly joined here mostly like go for a cruise anywhere. So that I am commenting here.
Thank you all.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

martinehenry wrote:
Hi all,
NIce to meet you all & really nice discussion is going on. Actually, I am newly joined here mostly like go for a cruise anywhere. So that I am commenting here.
Thank you all.
Hi M&H

Welcome to the fourm....Have a little play with some of the disccusion threads and you will soon find your way around.

P.s...your welcome box of keefy chocolates are in the post :thumbup: :D

Regards

Onelife

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Welcome to the forum :wave:

There are many threads giving lots of useful advice and tips but if you have a specific question not already covered, don't be afraid to ask!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

To the recent newbies, you can see just how desperate some of us are to have fresh blood on the forum that we can mould into our cruising ways. But don't imagine that you will get consistent hints and tips. :lol:
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Variety is the spice of life

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Variety is the spice of life

I thought it was nutmeg... :crazy:
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Nutsmeg should be the favourite spice on here!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I thought it was Ginger Spice ?!

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

qbman1 wrote:
I thought it was Ginger Spice ?!

I thought that was Harry Gelliwell... still, if that's the sort of thing you like :shock:
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Well, you can't beat a bit of nutmeg !

martinehenry
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by martinehenry »

Hi all,
Thanks for your greetings. I am feeling really some special after getting your wishes & thanks for accepting me as a member here.
According to Royal Jetsetter I want to share here my first cruise which I have booked to travel coastal areas of Adriatic - Croatia with my family. I booked a motor Yacht through Med wave charters & also they gave us 5 experienced charters for charting the yacht. This was my first cruise which removed my fear regarding deep water. I really enjoyed a lot on this trip with my family.

Angela
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Angela »

Hi everyone, new here and looking to book for first cruise, my question is select price or saver price for balcony cabin?

Keechy
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Keechy »

Angela wrote: 27 Apr 2017, 15:02
Hi everyone, new here and looking to book for first cruise, my question is select price or saver price for balcony cabin?
Hi Angela. As far as select/saver goes, I always check the difference in cost and usually the saver works out a lot cheaper. OK, you get none of the benefits, but the price difference can easily outweigh the cost of those benefits. The cruise we are going on soon had a difference of about £1200 which will more than pay for a couple of shuttle busses and parking or on board spend. Study the ports you're visiting and see if the ship docks close to the town, if it's tender-to-shore, or if the shuttle bus is compulsory for safety reasons because then you won't have to pay in any of those situations. Neither will you need to pay if you have booked a tour. OK, the down side is that you don't get the choice of dining but you can register your preference and try to change it once you're on board. Also you only have a guaranteed cabin, but if you're booking a balcony, that's probably not so important - they're all on the outside!

I hope you enjoy your cruise whichever you choose and be aware that once you've been on one, nothing else will do :thumbup:
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Keechy wrote: 29 Apr 2017, 14:06
The cruise we are going on soon had a difference of about £1200
Different to what?

My experience over the last couple of years is that if you book a select fare when the cruise first comes on sale then that price has been the cheapest (apart from an occasional "special offer") of all prices - even less than the "best" saver price (obviously for the same grade of cabin).

That is not to say that there aren't bargains to be found, but there are not as many as there were a few years ago.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

david63 wrote: 29 Apr 2017, 14:37
Different to what?

My experience over the last couple of years is that if you book a select fare when the cruise first comes on sale then that price has been the cheapest (apart from an occasional "special offer") of all prices - even less than the "best" saver price (obviously for the same grade of cabin).

That is not to say that there aren't bargains to be found, but there are not as many as there were a few years ago.
Agree 100%. Yes it depends on the cruise, when you book and maybe a bit of luck. But we usually book "select" when they first go on sale, get all the benefits of that and have never found a lower price of any sort later. When they first introduced the "saver" type fares under a different name which I've now forgotten they got the structure wrong from their perspective and there were some amazing late bargains. But they're much rarer now.

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

If you don't mind flying to your cruise destination how about a cruise that includes greek islands.

Keechy
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Keechy »

david63 wrote: 29 Apr 2017, 14:37
Different to what?

The saver is £1379pp and select is £1999pp. OK, I missed out on the £385 extra OBS but I'm still in pocket to the tune of £200-300. I'm not in a position to book 12 months in advance unfortunately.
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

bobbydee
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by bobbydee »

Hi, me and my dad going on our first cruise, and we not picked a easy one lol going to northern lights with P&O , if anyone else going on this one we like any tips or things we should be aware of, we know it be a bit chilly and we looking at some of the awesome excursions and finding it hard which to pick though ice igloo hotel i think a must !! and maybe snow mobile !! anyway be nice to here from anyone who be going on the 21st march or anyone who has already been before..please only positives we both excited!!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Welcome to the forum bobbydee.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

First tip, go online Mountain Warehouse or similar, watch for when they have special offers, and go for lightweight winter layers. You aren't going to be there that long, so no need for loads of stuff. Don't forget thick socks and a fleece hat, and instead of a scarf get a 'buff'.

Don't miss your first late night view of that icy coast, and don't miss the evening party for crossing into the Arctic Circle if you are doing Akureyri or Isafjordur.

Enjoy.

Return to “New to Cruising”