Excursions - go it alone or book with P&O?

Questions from those who are new to cruising

Topic author
Citylady
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Excursions - go it alone or book with P&O?

Post by Citylady »

So the excursions are now available online for my November cruise and I'm a bit surprised at the cost to be honest. Just to go sit on a beach is going to cost upwards of £25.00 each and if we choose to visit a hotel beach that's an eye-watering £84 each, just to sit on their sunbeds, have a bit of lunch and use their loos! Some of the other more adventurous trips are even more expensive but at least there's a bit more activity involved in these. I realise we could do our own thing but I'm conscious that the onus is on us (pardon the pun) to get back to the ship in good time and to an extent we're at the mercy of the taxi drivers (we'll be in the Caribbean).

And so my question is what do other people do when it comes to trips - are they self sufficient or part of the tourist pack? It's our first ever cruise so this is all new and whilst I don't want to throw money away, I don't want to get it wrong either. Any hints, tips and advice very welcome :D

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Excursions - go it alone or book with P&O?

Post by david63 »

This is one of those questions that there really is no right or wrong answer to. Money aside, a lot will depend on how confident you feel about DIY and how much you want/need the "safety net" of going with P&O.

In general when using a taxi, in any country, then there are a few golden rules that should make life easier;

1. Agree a price in advance for the return trip.

2. Agree with the taxi driver the time that you want to be picked up allowing at least an extra half an hour to an hour over and above the time it would take to get back to the ship. That way if the driver does not turn up you are in with a chance of getting another one - but see below.

3. Agree to pay the driver when you get back to the ship - that will tend to focus his mind on picking you up.

Another option is to do some research on the Internet before you go as there are many operators that will run you around for a fraction of the cost of a P&O excursion.

ChesterfieldJohn
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by ChesterfieldJohn »

CityLady,
We often do trips independently and look on the internet or talk to people on a forum who have done them before.

It obviously depends where you are of course.

I am sure that if you say which ports you will be at someone on here will have done and independent tour.

If you are in St Lucia then book Cosol tours on the net, probably one of the best tours we have ever had.

John
Cruising is for everyone

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Hi Citylady, take a look at this link, there are several suggestions of what to do in the Caribbean, just ask away if you are going to an Island that hasn't been covered I'm sure someone will have been and be able to give you some tips.

http://www.cruise-community.me.uk/viewt ... ?f=55&t=54
Jo

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

This is also an excellent site for information of what to do, where to eat, cost of transport etc.

http://www.whatsinport.com/index.htm
Jo

Topic author
Citylady
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Citylady »

Thanks for the info, guys. Cosol Tours look really good, great value and they've got excellent feedback on Facebook so this could be the one in St Lucia!

Jo, thanks for the links - I'll be checking them out later as the weather's not great here in Norfolk today so won't be doing much in the garden :)

Peter D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Peter D »

Another link for you.

Something I put together:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/947 ... 20Call.doc

Feel free to download and use.
Regards

Peter

orchid
Cadet
Cadet

Post by orchid »

We tend to go with P&O rather than do it alone as I get paranoid something will go wrong and I will miss the ship. I do think the cost of trips have shot up in price especially the ones to Norway.

Sharon

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Orchid, I think it depends on the port, I'm always perfectly happy to DIY for the majority of the Caribbean as most taxi drivers will accept payment when they return to pick you up ( if you have been dropped at a beach ) they are always going to come back for you and the fare :lol: we have done loads of DIY and never had a problem.

I would be more apprehensive doing places like Rome or Florence on our own which are a good distance from the port so would probably always do the ships tours.
Jo

jacksparrow
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jacksparrow »

When I did the Caribbean in St Martaan you could get a ferry across the water for around $7 return, then we got three loungers and 2 brollies for $25 between us. I would recommend the trip to Nelsons Dockyard in Antigua, although I believe you can do it cheaper than P & O charged. I also did a trip in St. Lucia which was the land and sea one to the Pitons, drive-in volcano etc... the cruise bit was good, as was the volcano but coming back by road was long and tedious and the guide wouldnt allow a stop on the way back.

I think it depends on the port and what you want to see, certainly the longer trips, like Jo has mentioned, I would do P & O excursions but the local ones, probably not. :crazy:
The pesky scarfaced pirate

Brightonbreezy
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Brightonbreezy »

I can also highly recommend Cosol on St Lucia Citylady and Bernard's Tours on St Maarten. We had fabulous all-day tours with both of them.
Andrew

Topic author
Citylady
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Citylady »

Thanks, Brightonbreezy. Cosol's name has come up quite a few times so am definitely considering booking with them.

Jean W
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Jean W »

Citylady - I'm so pleased you are thinking about Cosol. A fantastic day :thumbup:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

One thing I would advise against is booking anything independently in advance. On the trip we're just back from because of sea conditions we went to all the ports scheduled but in a different order. The P&O excursions were all neatly rescheduled for us. If you'd committed (and perhaps paid) for anything independently - well tough I guess. Incidentally, had we not shuffled the itinerary we would have missed one and possibly two completely. P&O tours would, in those circumstances, be refunded, but probably not independent ones.

Topic author
Citylady
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Citylady »

That's a good point, Mervyn and Trish - I hadn't thought about the itinerary being shuffled. Will definitely bear this in mind :)

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

With Cosol you only pay him at the end of the tour in cash. If the itinerary changes he will know and will text you if there is a problem. Brilliant trip.

Sue

ChesterfieldJohn
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by ChesterfieldJohn »

Citylady wrote:
That's a good point, Mervyn and Trish - I hadn't thought about the itinerary being shuffled. Will definitely bear this in mind :)
CityLady, when we have not been able to get in to a port then the money has been refunded by whichever company we booked with.

John
Cruising is for everyone

clairemarie55
Cadet
Cadet

Post by clairemarie55 »

We mostly do trips independent of P&O, and have saved a lot of money in the process.
One example was a trip up in the cable car to the Monte Gardens in Funchal.

We did this this for a third of the price and also saved time too.

The Monocled Mutineer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by The Monocled Mutineer »

For most ports and specific attractions or activities ashore, DIY or independent operators will save you a packet. Distance of attraction from a port is obviously a consideration as is the departure time from the port of call. Outside Europe and the Caribbean, the security and absence of liberal democracy and an accountable police force 'to the people' would also make one veer towards an official tour rather than go DIY
TMM

ShirleyT
Cadet
Cadet

Post by ShirleyT »

CityLady, I too would also recommend Cosol Tours in St Lucia. We used them in 2010 on our first P and O cruise. I booked well in advance and imagine my horror when we got onboard and were informed that the itinerary had been had been changed. Slight panic on my part!!! I emailed Cosol from Oceana and soon had a reply saying "no problem". We had a wonderful day with Cosol and if and when we return to St Lucia, I would do the same tour all over again.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

The Monocled Mutineer wrote:
Outside Europe and the Caribbean, the security and absence of liberal democracy and an accountable police force 'to the people' would also make one veer towards an official tour rather than go DIY
A very limited view if I may say so - would you include countries such as USA, Australia, New Zealand, UAE in that list? All of which are visited by P&O, and other cruise lines.

Busylizzie17
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Busylizzie17 »

:wave: Hello Citylady, re: excursions. We almost always DIY where poss. Do your research before the cruise and you'll save pounds. If you are thinking of going to Nelsons Dockyard for instance, very easy and very cheap to DIY. I can email you my notes from last year if you want to go, it is a really lovely place and was a great trip. Just always remember to aim at getting back to ship an hour or two before sail away. We usually get back for afternoon tea - yummy :lol:

arcadialover
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by arcadialover »

I personally prefer to pay more and book with P&O because if something goes wrong then I know the ship will wait. My partner once persuaded me to get in a taxi for a tour and to be honest I ruined it for both of us because all I wanted to do was to return to the ship.

Topic author
Citylady
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Citylady »

In the end, we've booked our excursions and have gone with P&O. It's our first cruise and although I've been to the Caribbean a few times before, I'm sure I wouldn't feel confident that the taxi drivers would get us back to the ship in time. I know it's cost us more but I feel very comfortable knowing that it's someone else's responsibility to get us back. Maybe next time will be different - I'm sure there will be a next time!

Return to “New to Cruising”