First Cruise

Questions from those who are new to cruising

Topic author
dawn48
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

First Cruise

Post by dawn48 »

Going on our first cruise setting sail from Barbados for 3 weeks any advice on what to pack ie evening wear and what to wear at meal times.do the ladies wear long dressers and the men shirt and tie and a suite, also what are the bar prices we are on the Thomson dream.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: First Cruise

Post by Quizzical Bob »

dawn48 wrote:
Going on our first cruise setting sail from Barbados for 3 weeks any advice on what to pack ie evening wear and what to wear at meal times.do the ladies wear long dressers and the men shirt and tie and a suite, also what are the bar prices we are on the Thomson dream.
Welcome David. You don't say which ship. What you wear is basically up to you. On P&O there are three styles of evening wear, formal, semi-formal and smart casual but some people like to wear a tie on every evening, others like me like to relax whenever possible. If you're in the Caribbean then you want to make the most of the tropical evenings and personally I would be as comfortable as possible. There may be formal evenings with a deck party afterwards in which case you will be invited to change after dinner, if so desired. There are answers to questions such as this on the P&O website.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life- ... s_code_all

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

QB
Thomson dream, not Pando

The Dream is much more casual and has a less rigid dress code than other lines
there is 1 formal night per week, which is optional, if you don't want to dress up, fine, just use one of the alternative venues or the buffet
Dress code the rest of the time is smart casual, men wear shirts and trousers but not ties, jackets and suits
Bar prices are similar to UK pub prices and if you are All Inclusive, then you only pay extra for some premium brands
Once you check in at the airport, you wont see your cases again till they arrive in your cabin
transfer time for the Airport in Barbados, is anything from 30 minutes to an hour depending on time of day and traffic etc
there are no immigration forms to fill in as you are only transiting Barbados and not staying

hope this helps, which Itinerary are you doing?
Nihil Obstat

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

They are on the Thomson Dream ... or so the OP says.

This ship has been upgraded to 4* but I have no idea if the formality has been increased ... I think not :clap:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

I am on the Dream in 2 weeks doing a B2B around the Caribbean
there is only 1 formal night, the captain's night, which is the evening of the first sea day
Nihil Obstat

Topic author
dawn48
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by dawn48 »

Thanks for the reply very helpfull. We are starting in Barbados,St. Kitts, St. Lucia, British Virgin isles, Gibraltar, finishing off in Velencia.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Dawn
there is a good site on Face book for Thomson cruises

https://www.facebook.com/groups/thomsoncurises/
Nihil Obstat

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Ok, didn't see that when I posted, perhaps it was edited?

Topic author
dawn48
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by dawn48 »

When going on my cruise we fly from gatwick to Barbados,could anyone tell me if we can get the duty free from gatwick to take on the ship. Dark knight I can't get on the Facebook web site any ideas.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Dawn
you have to ask to join as it is a closed group
just ask to join
and yes you can take duty free on board
Nihil Obstat

simeon
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by simeon »

You asked about drink prices, which I cannot comment on for Thomson Cruises, but did you check on options for a drink card or plan?

Whenever I book a trip with http://www.cruiseoffers.co.uk/, they always point out my options for getting add-ons like beverage cards, etc. That can cut down your overall bill, if you plan to drink much. We usually sign up for a wine package to have wine available on a daily basis, and is always very reasonable. In my experience, you can expect to pay the same for a drink on most cruise lines as you would in a nice bar back home. (Note: I said nice bar, not the corner pub.)

Return to “New to Cruising”