Questions from those who are new to cruising

Topic author
CruiseLover30UK
Cadet
Cadet

Which cruise would you recommend for...

Post by CruiseLover30UK »

A family of 9?

I'll explain the family so it will make it easier to know which may suit us best....

There will be me and my husband of course (both 30 years old) - we've only ever been on one cruise and it was for our honeymoon recently on the Ventura around Italy & Croatia! Its not that we did not enjoy this cruise but its the fact we enjoyed it so much we kind of want to keep that as our own if that makes sense so don't really want to do that same one with anyone else!

Then there is my brother in law and his girlfriend (just a couple of years younger than us) - they've been on quite a few cruises before but only by themselves or with friends!

Next is my sister in law, husband (both a couple of years older than us) and nearly 2 year old son who have never been on a cruise but are quite well travelled!

Last but not least there will be my mother and father in law (late 60s) who have never been on a cruise and although have travelled quite a few places over the years (such as America and Canada) may not be up for doing some of the things the rest of us might.

We're still debating whether to do a cruise next year with the family, as much as we'd like to we're not sure if we can afford and as some of you may have seen in another post we're thinking of saving up for the Far East and Southeast Asia Cruise on the Arcadia in the next couple of years or so!

Anyhoo let me know what you think! Also just to make it more complicated we would have to go in half term time as my husband, my sister in law and my brother in law's girlfriend work in schools!

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Which cruise would you recommend for...

Post by david63 »

First thing that will be obvious is that you will have to choose a "family" ship so that will reduce your options to some extent. Next will be to see where those ships are going at the time you are thinking of going. After that you will probably find that for cruise destination there will not be a lot of choice - it will probably be either somewhere in the Med or the Canaries.

So my suggestion, because you want to keep your first cruise special, would be the Canaries.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

depends what they are interested in - the Canaries is a bit samey - loads of sun and stuff, but not many sights.
If they are more into sights and history, then a Med might be better.

Either way, there's so many options, it doesn't matter if different batches of you do different things in port.

And cos you've children to consider - it'd have to b a Familyship - Azura, Aurora, Oceana or Ventura
Meg
x

Topic author
CruiseLover30UK
Cadet
Cadet

Mmm its a tough one! I don't mind doing the meds again I just don't want to do that particular one we did again! I don't really want to go on that same ship either but it does seem one of the popular ones for families.

I like the Canaries but feel i've been to the Canary Islands a lot in the past (not on a cruise but in general) and I think even though we'd like to relax most of the time we would all prefer some sights and history too!

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

My advice is just go with you and your husband and treat it as another very special holiday

IMO when you travel with others, even much loved family members, there are always compromises to make ( even before you book)

You are still newly weds. Enjoy each others company.

We still do after all these years. Our cruise holiday is still a very special time for us.

Much as I love my family, I don't want to go on holiday with them.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

do the western med rather than the eastern end you did last time!
Meg
x

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Greek islands
best of both worlds, plenty of history, plenty of beaches, shopping, sites etc etc
Nihil Obstat

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I would suggest a 3/4 night mini cruise, albeit ideally in late August / early September, to Bruges plus Guernsey for you all but no way would we even consider doing a couple of weeks with our children plus Grand Children if only because our individual holiday needs are entirely different.

So a mini and a few extra £££s towards the Asian jolly at a later date is my advice.

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
CruiseLover30UK
Cadet
Cadet

LOL well put Barney but the rest of the family seem really up for it and its not that we don't want to go on holiday with them, we've been away together before and have quite a laugh, its just the expense and not wanting anything to take away from the cruise we did for our honeymoon!

Greek Islands would be nice, i've only ever been to Greece once so be cool to see more of it! Plus being on a cruise in Greece we wouldn't have to worry about the toilet situation LOL!

Then again maybe a 3/4 night mini cruise would be cool too! Aaaaagh I don't know LOL!

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

As I said before - the first thing that you need to establish is which cruises/ships are available at the time that you want to go. Knowing that will make things somewhat easier.

Topic author
CruiseLover30UK
Cadet
Cadet

Also my brother in law keeps mentioning a cruise with Celebrity - anyone tried them?

Return to “New to Cruising”