Where to start

Questions from those who are new to cruising

Topic author
sunrisecards
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Where to start

Post by sunrisecards »

I have booked a mini cruise for my husbands 50th birthday , just a two night one, we like the idea so this is just a taster for us and when we've paid the mortgage off in a few years who knows me might be able to afford a longer one lol , I'm excited but also nervous , I'm not a dressy person , give me my jeans any day but I've been told that after 6.30pm no jeans are allowed, is it likely to be very dressy onboard I don't want to stand out like a sore thumb. we don't plan on going to the formal night we'll stick to the buffet but I always feel so uncomfortable dressed up and don't do dresses I just don't want to look out of place :(

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: where to start

Post by david63 »

Hi sunrisecards - and welcome to the forum.

First of all don't worry - you will not be made to walk the plank for being inappropriately dressed, despite the fact that there are some who would like to see it introduced.

You do not say which ship you are going on and which cruise as that can have some bearing on how the dress code will be interpreted, but generally two night mini cruises are more relaxed than "full" cruises.

If you are going on a P&O cruise then smart jeans are perfectly acceptable on Smart Casual nights, again despite what some may have you believe.

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Hello Sunrisecard

May I welcome you on board our friendly confection

This reminds me of many years since

Betty and I had no intention of cruising due to the "dressing up" pa-lava

We also took a short cruise to Norway, very apprehensively we both were

It was the start of many happy cruising experiences

Kind regards

Graham
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Topic author
sunrisecards
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by sunrisecards »

thank you so much for your prompt replies , we are going on a mini cruise with P & O on the Oriana , just been having a chat with some people on the p & o facebook page who all insist I will love dressing up which annoys me slightly as I know how I feel and I feel very uncomfortable dressing smart, I know sometimes it has to be done and I grin and bear it but I can't wait to get home and put my casual clothes on its just the way I am and have always been, I don't do dresses, skirts etc lol , I'm beginning to panic now and I don't want to as I want to enjoy the whole experience
is it right that they don't allow jeans after 6.30 pm anywhere on the boat ? I have smart black trousers and a smart top but I don't want to feel out of place if everyone else is in cocktail dresses ????

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

It is NOT true that you cannot wear smart jeans on the ship (it is not a boat ;) ) after 18:30.

Looking at your cruise you should be having one "Evening Casual" which will probably be the first night and your jeans will be perfectly acceptable - the other night is a "Black Tie" night. As Oriana tends to be a more traditional/formal ship I would suggest that on the Black Tie night you may feel more comfortable in your smart black trousers and smart top rather than your jeans.

The pros and cons of the dress codes have been well argued on all cruise forums, including this, and I do not intend going over it all again - it is your holiday and as long as you conform to the dress code in the areas of the ship where it is enforced then you will be OK :thumbup:

Enjoy your first cruise :wave:

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I totally agree with the Blue Chap.

Don't even think about it.

The point of the dress code is to make a suggestion on what should/could be worn

As long as you look smart, there is nothing to worry about, and I'm sure that you do.

I often wear black jeans on Casual evenings with a nice shirt. Smart jeans are fine, scruffy, torn jeans are not.
Black trousers and a nice top are absolutely fine for Formal eveings.
Most gents will be in a DJ but not all.
Many ladies will have gowns but by no means all.

You never know sunrisecards, you may become a convert
The only thing that matters is that you enjoy yourself. That's the whole point of it.
Don't deprive yourself of the loveliness of the evenings by worrying about them. :wave:

PS in my opinon, Facebook isn't the best, friendliest place to ask things.
There seems to be a disproportionate amount of aggressive people on there who want to impose their views.
Much friendlier on this site. :thumbup:
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
sunrisecards
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by sunrisecards »

ah thank you so much x don't get me wrong I would never wear jeans to a formal night, I know I have to do the right thing sometimes lol to be honest we will probably stick to the buffet option as we're quite happy like that, one particular comment really got to me on facebook - one lady wrote, jeans you might as well go to McDonalds !!!! really annoys me comments like that , I have been reading some posts on here about dress codes and some people really have very shallow views but we won't go there . we are really looking forward to it and hope to enjoy the whole experience, the idea is to do this taster cruise to make sure we like it and then save for a longer one

Bunion
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Bunion »

Sunrisecards you will have a lovely cruise taster if you stop worrying. I'm sure your smart black trousers will see you through(mine have seen me through many a smart casual, semi formal and formal evening in years gone by-long live black pants I say). 20 years ago I 'suggested' a cruise to the Caribbean to my hubby for a special anniversary and THE FACE- well you wouldn't believe.... He had never worn evening wear (our son turned up with his DJ and I bought M&S trousers to match - the jacket has never been returned to son and is now in hubby's wardrobe). I had no evening wear either, but bought a couple of charity shop long back frocks - because I didn't think the cruise would EVER be repeated. Well 20 years on we are both complete cruiseaholics whenever we can get away, and the charity shop frocks have been replaced by some nice January sale items which get added to, year after year. By the way, the son's DJ still goes with us and gets dry cleaned to within an inch of its life, and hubby loves the formal evenings most of all (a complete change from what he wears at the allotment after all !) I hope you love your cruising as much as we all do on here - it is a different way of life, but one which is totally addictive.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

sunrisecards wrote:
I have been reading some posts on here about dress codes and some people really have very shallow views but we won't go there
Don't take a lot of the comments too seriously as in most cases they are there to "wind other members up" :crazy:

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Hi sunrisecards - have you been on your taster cruise yet, and if so, how did you get on?
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Topic author
sunrisecards
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by sunrisecards »

yes we have and absolutely loved it , planning on doing a 3 night one next year for our Pearl Wedding Anniversary :)

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

By the time you get to you Diamond you might be up to a 14-nighter!

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

sunrisecards wrote:
yes we have and absolutely loved it , planning on doing a 3 night one next year for our Pearl Wedding Anniversary :)
Fantastic! :wave:
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Knew that you would. :clap:

It's a rare beast that doesn't enjoy a cruise holiday although I have met one or two over the years.

I usually find that folk who moan about their holiday tend to moan about everything else in life as well.

What about the 'dressing up' issue?
No probs I guess.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
sunrisecards
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by sunrisecards »

we went to the buffet instead of the formal night but realised that not everyone is dressed up as formally as I'd thought they would be , I had bought a dress anyway as a suprise for hubby and wore it on the second night and am now the proud of another dress so there's stopping me now lol

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Glad you enjoyed it.

I was nervous of the dress codes before I started cruising, but soon found out that it wasn't an ongoing fashion parade!
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

sunrisecards wrote:
we went to the buffet instead of the formal night but realised that not everyone is dressed up as formally as I'd thought they would be , I had bought a dress anyway as a suprise for hubby and wore it on the second night and am now the proud of another dress so there's stopping me now lol
For a few extra £££s you could have a table for two each night in one, or more, of the alternate Dining Venues. Better food and so much more romantic than the buffet.

:thumbup:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

sunrisecards wrote:
I don't do dresses, skirts etc
sunrisecards wrote:

Steady on there, girl!! :lol: :lol:
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Topic author
sunrisecards
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by sunrisecards »

he couldn't believe his eyes :)

lesetier
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by lesetier »

I have a similar quesition, a "romantic" one :)

Next year will be my 10th anniversary and I would like to take my wife on a European cruise. The only town I definitely want to visit is Rome, but was going to try to get some recommendations for other places that are must see. Have any of you taken a European cruise, if so, which cruise line and where did you depart from? I have been recommended to visit this site: https://www.riuscruises.com/. Any further tips are very much welcome :)

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by JoanneB »

Hi Lesetier and welcome.

So people can help more can I ask...
The site that you mention is for River cruises is it a river cruise you particularly want to try or any cruise that goes to Europe?
Are you happy flying?
You want to visit Rome, what things do you like doing/seeing...historic sites, religious, shops, nature???

Whatever you decide have a wonderful anniversary,you have already made a great start even THINKING about doing something romantic :-)

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Welcome to the forum Lesetier

We've done three 2-week cruises to the Western Med, all on P&O's Oceana, all round-trip from Southampton. They all had slightly different itineraries. Even going to the port has different excursion options.

As well as Rome, we like Monaco, Lisbon, Cadiz, Pisa, Gibraltar... But, really, we just like all the places we've been (except Vigo).
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Have a look at this, for a taste of some of the places I mentioned...
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

and/or this one
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

ITWA Travel Writer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by ITWA Travel Writer »

Hi sunrisecards,

Welcome to this forum.

After testing many, including Facebook which on this site you may see referred to as "Facecloth" for all the drivel it contains, I found it to be the best cruising forum going.

Yes you may find some participants, even on here, with very specific views on things but deep down everyone takes their cruising seriously but they will always stress that it must be enjoyable otherwise why do it.

As far as your questions about dress codes, boy there are many snobs and ten bob millionaires out there, mainly "Brits", but always remember that you are paying good money for your holiday no matter whether it is a two day tester or a 120 day round the world cruise. You will always find somewhere on-board ship where you will feel comfortable. There are also many different cruise lines. Some see themselves as more formal than others, so there is something out there for everyone.

The "Blue Smurf", "Barney" and indeed all above have given good advice. Just enjoy and please follow up "Silver_Shiney's" request and give us a report on how your cruise went. This will be valuable for any other member following in your shoes.

Enjoy!!!
John

Qui descendunt mare in navibus.

Return to “New to Cruising”