Saint Petersburg

Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
Gooner
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Saint Petersburg

Post by Gooner »

We recently cruised on Arcadia arriving in St Petersburg on 31 July 2014 for a two-day grand tour booked with Alla Tours and prior to disembarkation we and fellow travellers had expressed doubts about stepping outside the comfort zone of a P & O (expensive) excursion - many said what if etc?. Once through customs we were met by a wonderful guide, Valentina, who, over two fully days gave us (a group of 16) the most wonderful and memorable experience using her vast knowledge not just of the many palaces, churches and buildings but also Russian history and culture. Visitors to St Petersburg - do not hesitate to use Alla Tours - they are good value for money and the excursion went without a hitch. Alla Tours can be found on the internet

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Saint Petersburg

Post by Kenmo1 »

I have read extremely good reviews of Alla Tours but I always wonder what would happen if their transport broke down. I know PO wait for their excursions to return but they wouldn't for a private tour. I might risk it with Alla Tours for the first day of a two day visit but I would prefer to stick with PO on the day they are due to sail. I'm afraid there are quite a few places in the world where I would not want to get left behind and St Petersburg is one of them. I'm sure others will feel differently.

Maureen

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Not a problem about being left behind.

Arrange to be in St Petes on the second day so there is less of a problem with distance.

Whilst any vehicle can break down fron my experience the vehicles used for these tours are fairly new.

Finally - if they miss getting you back to the ship then they will lose their tour licence - and their business.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

I'm sure they,and the other excellent tour companies in St Petersburg, are aware of the risk, Kenmo, and have a contingency plan in place. They will always allow sufficient time to overcome any difficulty because, as David says, they have to take responsibility for the tourists in their care and ensure that they get back to the ship or the penalty is severe. I have never heard of anyone ever being left behind in St Petes - has anyone?

The benefits of a private tour far outweigh the risk which is so small that it can be safely ignored.

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by JoanneB »

Kenmo1 wrote:
I have read extremely good reviews of Alla Tours but I always wonder what would happen if their transport broke down. I know PO wait for their excursions to return but they wouldn't for a private tour. I might risk it with Alla Tours for the first day of a two day visit but I would prefer to stick with PO on the day they are due to sail. I'm afraid there are quite a few places in the world where I would not want to get left behind and St Petersburg is one of them. I'm sure others will feel differently.

Maureen

We have done a 2 day Alla tour and can agree they are great. They organise it so taht day two you are in town so it is no distance at all back to the ship.

On day one of our tour another of their buses was actually run into by a car whilst parked up. They got a replacement minvan there very quickly.

Also they do tours for Berlin from Hamburg and there is a discount if you do both.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

I'm very much a 'what if person'. We used to do private tours in the Caribbean so long as we did them in the morning but a few years ago PO stayed in port for a reasonable time into the evening so there wasn't that rush to get back. Now they leave places much earlier. On the spur of the moment we recently did a private whale watching trip one afternoon in Iceland and I was very much on edge in case we didn't get back for the last shuttle back to the ship, but we did quite easily.

I guess I am just a natural born worrier so the few odd times we do an excursion we tend to stick with PO for my peace of mind and that is what we did in Saint Petersburg last year and will do the same when we return, hopefully next year or the year after. That way I don't drive hubby nuts keeping on worrying. :crazy: :crazy:

Maureen

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Evening All

Enjoyed all the contents of this thread

One of our memorable POC

So much

We "dun" it thrice

Luboo all :wave:

The Slightly Teary Giant of Cerne Abass
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

swissmiss2010
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by swissmiss2010 »

When we visited st Petersburg we used TJ Travel for the 2 day tour and they were fantastic, and we have booked with them again for our next visit. On the second day in the afternoon we came out of The Hermitage to find our car was not there and all the streets were closed to traffic. Apparently the president of pakistan was visiting which is why they did it. Our guide phoned our driver and we just had to walk over the bridge to find him again. We arrived back at our ship in plenty of time, but all the p & o tour buses were late! We were told they won't let the ship leave until they know everybody is back on board anyway.

Return to “Europe”