so what to do and what to see there?
any ideas :wave:
Nihil Obstat

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Bergen: what to do and see

Post by Kenmo1 »

DK _ Peter D has some good ideas on his Ports of Call information which you might find useful. It is one place in Norway where it seems to rain a lot so be sure to have an umbrella and raincoat. The most popular attractions are the funicular up Mt Floyen but you need to get there early as the queues really build up as the day wears on. It was well worth a visit but we were lucky to have a sunny day. There is also a cable car which takes you up Mt Ulriken but we have not done that so can't give you any advice. The Bryggen (old wooden buildings)on the harbour side are worth wandering around and are very close to the Fish market, which is very interesting. There are usually a mixture of other market stalls nearby for fruit, vegetables, flowers, handicrafts and souvenirs.

Certainly not the cheapest place in the world to buy anything !!!

Maureen

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

There's a little yellow road train that takes you on a trip round the town and up the hill. It leaves from the corner of Bryggen and the fish market.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
There's a little yellow road train that takes you on a trip round the town and up the hill. It leaves from the corner of Bryggen and the fish market.
That is the better option when there are queues for the funicular and the views are probably just as good, DK.

If you eat at the fish market, as we did, the portions of fish are huge so many people, including locals, were dining on one portion between two and not because of the cost!!! You have dinner to account for later. :roll:

The Tinker
First Officer
First Officer

Post by The Tinker »

There is plenty to see and do just wandering round Bergen - lots of shops craft centres fish market etc etc.
Have been twice and, yes, it did rain all day on one occasion. Depends if you like to diy and just wander round or prefer to do the sights.

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Get yourselves up the funicular early before the queues at the bottom and the hoardes at the top, then if you're feeling active, walk back down. We considered doing the cable-car up the proper mountain last time - but the price (c£50 each including bus pick-up I think) put me off! :o

Have plenty of free samples in the fish market, you can try smoked whale (it may be the only one you see) :lol: The fresh prawns are really good too.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Bergen is a really easy port to DIY, especially if you are moored at the town centre quay, which I'm guessing is likely with Sleazy Cruises small tubs. More difficult if you end up at the more distant commercial port where the use of the shuttle bus is obligatory.

I'd certainly recommend the funicular. They've upgraded it since we first went so it operates more efficiently, fitting in more frequent trips, so even quite long queues clear reasonably quickly. An amble round the old buildings by the port is interesting too. But if you even think about buying a drink get an estimate first!

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Merv
just one of the many benefits of not sailing in a pimped up ,floating resort, is the ability to get right to the heart of a port and not be mugged into paying for a shuttle bus
luckily we are with a proper cruise line, not one run by d**k Turpin :thumbup:
Nihil Obstat

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Truly, not meaning to put a "dampener" on your Bergen sojourn . . .

We had four visits to Bergen, and it rained heavily on all occasions

You will be fine, as the sun always shines on the righteous :?

Fish Market was a treat, Oysters grown and cared for in Poole Harbour were good, puts lead in your pencil, make no mistake about that

Lubooo :thumbup:

Your Country Bumpkin The Giant from Cerne Abbas
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Bergen: what to do and see

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Even I've walked from the commercial port, not too far.

There's a story about the weather: An American tourist asks a local lad if it ever stops raining. "I wouldn't know, I'm only thirteen" he replies.

We've been there four times and have had good weather every time but I'm told it rains on over 300 days a year.

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

. . . . but rarely snows . . . how strange is that
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

I see on the BBC news headlines on the internet that Iceland is shaking in its boots and is on volcano alert (Bardarbunga) - they must have heard that Dark Knight is about to visit.

Maureen

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

I doubt I will be needing sunblock, more a hazmat suit :thumbdown:
Nihil Obstat

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Dark Knight wrote:
I doubt I will be needing sunblock, more a hazmat suit :thumbdown:
Should be interesting though and think how interesting your cruise review will turn out - Keefy only saw a puff of smoke or was it a small cloud at Mt Etna. :lol:

Have a great cruise with lots of whale sightings. :wave:

Maureen

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Maureen
hopefully both :thumbup:
would be fantastic to see an active volcano close up, but not too close 8-)
Nihil Obstat

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Dark Knight wrote:
Maureen

Many years ago I was on a Med cruise and we were sailing from Sicily - we were sitting out on deck and suddenly there was a flare up on the Stromboli volcano. I was the only one who saw it at first as I was facing in that direction - the others thought I had gone mad but it happened a few more times so they saw it too.

Aren't we fortunate to be able to travel to these places and see such sights - have a great time Batty :thumbup:
Janis

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Jan Rosser wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:
Maureen

Many years ago I was on a Med cruise and we were sailing from Sicily - we were sitting out on deck and suddenly there was a flare up on the Stromboli volcano. I was the only one who saw it at first as I was facing in that direction - the others thought I had gone mad but it happened a few more times so they saw it too.

Aren't we fortunate to be able to travel to these places and see such sights - have a great time Batty :thumbup:
But remember to pack some extra underpants, just in case!

Return to “Europe”