Zakynthos

Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
Peter D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Zakynthos

Post by Peter D »

Looking at a cruise that takes in this Island, aka Zante.

Does anyone have any suggestions.
Regards

Peter

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Zakynthos

Post by Manoverboard »

One of our sons thought it was brill but told us oldies not to bother ... :lol:

http://www.zanteweb.co.uk/
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

Went, there many years ago it was Ok. Recently granddaughter went there and stayed on for the summer season and worked. Grandson and 6 mates went there last year...so make of that what you will.....
Jenni

Topic author
Peter D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Peter D »

I am not old, only in my 60's, and I know it is a youngster place, but there must be something to do there on a day visit.
Regards

Peter

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

I am sure there is Peter, but not my favourite holiday for many reasons.. but I am sure you will enjoy
Jenni

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Peter D wrote:
I am not old, only in my 60's, and I know it is a youngster place, but there must be something to do there on a day visit.
Read the ' sites / sights ' in the link I provided ... and 60 in Zante is dead old :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We have been there many times although not for some years now. We first went there in 1998 and have always stayed in Tsilivi when it was still an up coming resort. Then it was lovely, and with the then Dracma currency it was extremely cheap.

But like most resorts, as it became more popular and LOUDER it lost it's appeal for us. Don't get me wrong it is a beautiful island, but for us it's a case of been there done that.

We stopped at Zante old town in 2006 when cruising on Oriana and as we knew the area the four of us jumped in a taxi and took the fifteen minute trip to Tsilivi and spent the day there catching up with old faces. Then the taxi fare was the equivalent to £10 each way.

If you don't fancy doing a short trip just spend the day mootching about the old town. If my memory serves me correctly the ship anchors off shore and you are tendered in.

Unless you like it lively and loud,one resort to avoid is Lagana. Pretty quiet in the day as all the youngsters are sleeping it off, but mental at night. At least it use to be.

Some info.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g1 ... tions.html

http://www.gozakynthos.gr/

http://www.holiday-weather.com/zakynthos/averages/

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Peter, everywhere during the day is pretty quiet. As everyone is usually at the beach or in bed sleeping it off. And as you will only be there during the day you will have a relaxing time wherever you go.

Night time, now that's a different matter. I'm not old either, just a miserable git ;), and the thought of boom boom boom music assaulting my ears, constant sport on huge TV's wherever you go and loud pi**ed up tattooed Northerners (and that's just the women) walking about in their designer football shirts drinking cans of lager, for some strange reason doesn't appeal.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Zakynthos

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Stephen wrote:
Peter, everywhere during the day is pretty quiet. As everyone is usually at the beach or in bed sleeping it off. And as you will only be there during the day you will have a relaxing time wherever you go.

Night time, now that's a different matter. I'm not old either, just a miserable git ;), and the thought of boom boom boom music assaulting my ears, constant sport on huge TV's wherever you go and loud pi**ed up tattooed Northerners (and that's just the women) walking about in their designer football shirts drinking cans of lager, for some strange reason doesn't appeal.
Stephen which ship is this you're describing? ;)

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Stephen wrote:

Saga Sapphire :)

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

We are going for a week in June. Good job that I'm still young then! :D :crazy:

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

Stephen wrote:
Quizzical Bob wrote:
Stephen wrote:

Saga Sapphire :)
That really made me laugh..thank you :thumbup: :P
Jenni

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

Romig1 wrote:
We are going for a week in June. Good job that I'm still young then! :D :crazy:
Is that your mental age you are referring to or physical :moresarcasm:
Jenni

Return to “Europe”