Cruising to Norway on the Azura

Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
hdean61
Cadet
Cadet

Cruising to Norway on the Azura

Post by hdean61 »

How exciting to be in at the start of a new forum.

We just booked our first P&O cruise yesterday on the Azura (to Norway on June 28th) so haven't had any experience of their community forum as it has not been working.

I'm a bit nervous about this trip as I'm prone to seasickness and scared of rough seas especially in the North Sea (I know, what am I thinking of).

But I was nervous of my first cruise last year to the Mediterranean and it was fabulous and I hardly felt the ship move at all. I suspect this trip will be a different kettle of fish though.

I'm determined to be brave though and confront my fear of the seas - I think after a few hours I'll be ok and if not I'll try a couple of glasses of vino. I think perhaps the balcony cabin on a very high deck is a mistake but its done now and if I enjoy this trip I'm set for cruising all the time (or until the bank manager calls a halt to it).

As regards the seasickness, well as a last resort travel sickness pills work very well for me although I'd prefer to avoid them as they make me drowsy. I think I'll try the wristbands I've seen people talk about although I will also be packing the kwells.

If anyone has been on a trip to Norway before at that time of year and has any advice that would be great. My husband and I are real scenery lovers and although I do love the sunshine too I'm looking forward to this trip very much.

Heather

Debbie W
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: Cruising to Norway on the Azura

Post by Debbie W »

Hi Heather

Welcome to the forum! I did a Fjords cruise on Azura in May 2011 and the seas were very calm and the weather quite pleasant if a little chilly still. Whilst this isn't a guarantee that you will experience similar I'd imagine that the North Sea is less of an issue in the summer months. My daughter is also prone to motion sickness and uses the travel bands rather than tablets and she finds they really help the nausea.

We had a balcony cabin on A deck and felt no movement whatsoever and the scenery from the balcony was to die for!

Debs

Silver service
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Silver service »

Hoorah! I am in! We have done the Norway trip twice. May and July.
Seas were flat throughout. Hopefully you will be fine! With only one sea day each way,
All the rest ports. Maybe a tender or two. The best destination, for a port intensive cruise.
Regards, mike.

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Hi, we went in late June the first time, and early July (Grand Event) the second. The weather was pretty good on both trips and the sea was very kind. Of course once you reach Norway much of the sailing is either in the fjords (totally flat) or near the coast. The North Sea can be lumpy, but you don't get the large swells of the BoB for instance.

The landscape is fantastic, and I'm sure you will have a brilliant cruise.

Any more questions then just ask.

The Invigilator
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by The Invigilator »

Hi Heather, we did the Fjords Last year as our first cruise and loved it, having a balcony for this trip is a brilliant idea. Make sure you get up nice and early for the sail into the Fjords OMG it is amazing. Being a first timer we didn't know what to expect and I thought the ship would be quite noisy but no, hubby and I would stand on the balcony in silence the only noise was the very gentle lapping of the sea on the ship it was so serene - one of those moments in life when words really are not necessary. You will have an amazing time. Which ports are you visiting and may I ask what deck your cabin is on?

The Invigilator
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by The Invigilator »

Wowser Romig is that you??? That looks amazing :D :D

jacksparrow
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jacksparrow »

H Heather,

I did the Fjords with Iceland and the weather was brilliant apart from a little rain in Bergen...

As regards the sea sickness take Stugeron tablets as they dont make you sleepy and the do work. Check with the pharmacist though if you are taking any prescribed medication though.

Have a brilliant time

jack :-)
The pesky scarfaced pirate

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

..and you're not supposed to drink alcohol with Stugeron! :cry:

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

I would suggest that you looked at some of my photo albums...but they are on the P&O Forum :(

ChrisB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by ChrisB »

We have done the Fjords twice, once in June and once in August and the crossing was smooth. It is one of my favourite places to go. Such beautiful scenery. Enjoy
Regards
Chris

Topic author
hdean61
Cadet
Cadet

Post by hdean61 »

Thanks for the replies everyone I feel much better now. I'm very excited about this trip as it was a spur of the moment decision yesterday morning and there's only 5 months until we go. Last trip was booked 18 months ahead and took so long to come around.

Our ports this time are Bergen, Andalsnes, Olden and Stevanger. I've been looking at excursions but haven't made any decisions yet but am kind of thinking just to do or own thing in Bergen and Stevanger. Does the ship dock close enough to make this possible and do you all think this is a good idea or not?

jacksparrow
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jacksparrow »

I will have to have a look at my photos of Stavanger but when I went to Bergen it was on Artemis which was a lot smaller ship. That was parked up within walking distance.
The pesky scarfaced pirate

Lulucat
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Lulucat »

We did the fjords at the beginning of May and we have also done Christmas market in middle of December where the first stop was Oslo. On both occasions the North Sea was like a millpond with no movement whatsoever.

It will be worth the journey though - the scenery is fantastic. We did a tour in Alesund visiting some of the small islands and it was amazing - really recommend it.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your time here, and your cruise of course :D :D

Topic author
hdean61
Cadet
Cadet

Post by hdean61 »

Oh i forgot to say that our cabin is on the Lido deck which is very high up which should be great for views but I'm having visions of being rocked about a lot. But as i said, I'm determined to be brave and come back from this trip a proper sailor and not a wuss.

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Both Bergen and Stavanger are DIYable.

The ship berths in the centre of Stavanger and it's pleasant to walk around the city.

At Bergen, it will either berth at the end of Bryggen from where it's a 10-15 min stroll to the fish market or funicular. Quite often though the ship berths in the commercial dock, which necessitates the free shuttle bus which drops you near the bandstand which is about 10 min walk past the shops to the fish market.

Topic author
hdean61
Cadet
Cadet

Post by hdean61 »

Thanks that's good to know, I think we will do those ourselves and book excursions for the other two ports.

bjg1604
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by bjg1604 »

I have done three Fjords trips in June and July and each time the North Sea has not been a problem. Don't let it worry you - as others have said Sturgeron is the answer if it does get a bit choppy.

Delboy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Delboy »

hdean61 wrote:
How exciting to be in at the start of a new forum.

We just booked our first P&O cruise yesterday on the Azura (to Norway on June 28th) so haven't had any experience of their community forum as it has not been working.

I'm a bit nervous about this trip as I'm prone to seasickness and scared of rough seas especially in the North Sea (I know, what am I thinking of).

But I was nervous of my first cruise last year to the Mediterranean and it was fabulous and I hardly felt the ship move at all. I suspect this trip will be a different kettle of fish though.

I'm determined to be brave though and confront my fear of the seas - I think after a few hours I'll be ok and if not I'll try a couple of glasses of vino. I think perhaps the balcony cabin on a very high deck is a mistake but its done now and if I enjoy this trip I'm set for cruising all the time (or until the bank manager calls a halt to it).

As regards the seasickness, well as a last resort travel sickness pills work very well for me although I'd prefer to avoid them as they make me drowsy. I think I'll try the wristbands I've seen people talk about although I will also be packing the kwells.

If anyone has been on a trip to Norway before at that time of year and has any advice that would be great. My husband and I are real scenery lovers and although I do love the sunshine too I'm looking forward to this trip very much.

Heather
Heather

We were on the same cruise as Romig on P&O Oceana in June 2009, here is a link to my photo's of the cruise.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbu ... 540277703/

dorsetlad
Cadet
Cadet

Post by dorsetlad »

Here are some photos of the Grand Event Fjords cruise on Oceana. It gives you an idea of some of the spectacular scenery.

Brian

dorsetlad
Cadet
Cadet

Post by dorsetlad »

Sorry, I forgot the link. I'ts here https://picasaweb.google.com/brianhanfr ... seJuly2012

Brian

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Great pictures Brian.

Shame we didn't get to meet on the GE.

dorsetlad
Cadet
Cadet

Post by dorsetlad »

I think we did Romig. It was in Winners on the first sea day, and was a CN meet up. 8-)

Brian

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Ah Brian, was that the one organised by Fiona?

Unfortunately that was TOO popular, and people didn't get chance to mingle and meet everyone properly.

dorsetlad
Cadet
Cadet

Post by dorsetlad »

Yes that's the one. Indeed it was very popular. We were sitting next to Heather & Malcolm, I believe you were at the far end from us. As you say, we didn't get to chat to everyone. :(

Brian

Topic author
hdean61
Cadet
Cadet

Post by hdean61 »

Wow excellent photographs, thank you both, I'm even now excited now.

Return to “Europe”