Dubrovnik

Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
Linda67
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Dubrovnik

Post by Linda67 »

How easy is it to DIY Dubrovnik? We'd like to walk the walls, how easy is it to get there from the port? I think it's down as a tender port. Any ideas on how hot it will be in early June?

Thank you!

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Re: Dubrovnik

Post by JenniC »

Very easy, we were in Dubrovnik in early July when we went there on Ventura as part of the Grand Event. Stunning is the only word for the sail in.. I loved it and fell in love with Dubrovnik. There were loads of buses laid on by P&O but they did get busy, but we still had no problems getting into the town centre and back.

We went to town first thing and were on the walls by 9am and it was 90C then, it went up to 103C. Wonderful experience and well worth the early start. Town is lovely, but it was exceptionally busy. We also did a very reasonable bus tour which again was brilliant. You get the bus from the same place as the courtesy bus drops you off.

Have a wonderful time. :)
Jenni

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

We were there early June last year and it was very hot, very easy to DIY, have never done it as a tender port but I understand it is about a 15 minute journey ( I'm sure someone will confirm that )

The walls are a must .. fantastic views, make sure you have local currency or a credit card as they will not accept euro's to pay the entrance fee, the majority of shops and bars will though, this is one of my favourite ports such a lovely place to just wander.
Jo

Bobbie
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Bobbie »

We have done it both by tender and in port, very easy. It's a gorgeous city. As others have said, walk the walls early to avoid crowds and heat (we were off the ship at 8.30 and it was 30' even then). There is a cable car with stunning views as you go up and from the top, worth doing. It's easy to find, just google Dubrovnik cable car and you'll find the website.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Not sure if this reply will turn up twice as computer went down as I tried to submit last one - just a word of advice to not leave your return until the last shuttle as there was one heck of a queue when we did that.

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

But when all is said and done, despite the heat, the crowds, the queues and the long walk round the walls you will LOVE Dubrovnik - one of my favourite places I have visted :D
Jenni

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

... and take a spare chip for your camera, there are some beautiful pics that are waiting to be taken ;)
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

By far the best way to enter the town is by sea. You can take a boat from the port area round the coast into teh old harbour - stunning. You can do that independently or P&O also run a tour

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Dubrovnik is on our itinerary for an outing later this year - and we are looking forward to it.

Thanks for the information you have posted everyone. Meanwhile I looked on whatsinport.com and got useful information from there, and also accessed the port website - so we can see roughly where we will be berthed etc.

We would plan to get out and about before it gets too hot - but again we will double check online about temperatures nearer the time.

Em :D

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

qbman1 wrote:
By far the best way to enter the town is by sea. You can take a boat from the port area round the coast into teh old harbour - stunning. You can do that independently or P&O also run a tour
I so agree sailing in took my breath away it is so beautiful in every way and even more humbling is the way they have restored this wonderful city in the wake of the awful atrocities that took place there, one of the places in the world that brought years to my eyes, the others being seeing The Sydney Opera House and the bridge behind from the ferry from my brothers house in Rose Bay and flying into New York and seeing Manhatten from the air when I took Steve there for a surprise 50th birthday trip :) halcyon days......
Jenni

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

It's unbelievable that anybody could do this to such a beautiful city, and marvellous to behold the way they have restored it since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmBvEnfQICk

Hope the link works

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We did a coach tour of the Balkans, Yugoslavia of old and beyond, late 2010 and the hit n miss patchwork of repairs is a sight to be seen ... it also showed the ferocity of a religiously inspired war.

Dubrovnik got off lightly.

Esprit
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Esprit »

The last time we visited Dubrovnik we hired kayaks and a guide took us out to the nearby island.

On this island nudist bathing is permitted so we saw more than just old ruins!

We then went back to the mainland away from the old city where we had a beach pinic and snorkel swim.

Finally we returned to our departure point following the city wall. This was an excellent excursion which also helped shed a few calories. These were quickly replaced with well earned beers whilst discussing the sights!!!

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

qbman1 wrote:
Can this booked independently before we travel. Do you have a link? Or is it easy to book once we get off the ship.

We have been before but have always got the shuttle in. It will be good to do something different.

Sue

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

All sorts of boat trips run from the Old Harbour, situated right at the far end to where the Shuttle Bus drops, including our favourite ' Cavtat '.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi Mob,

We had a lovely coffee/beer in the old harbour last year. Fantastic place to sit and people watch. I like the idea of arriving there by boat at the harbour instead of using the shuttle into the town.

I will have to do some research.

Sue

Bobbie
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Bobbie »

I was really lucky the first time I visited, it was on Arcadia and we anchored outside the old town and got the tenders into the old port. Great way to arrive! The second time we went to Gruz port and got the shuttle in, not quite as nice.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

We are visiting Dubrovnik in September. We still don't know if we will be berthed in Gruz Harbour or tendered into the Okd a town Harbour. We have walked the walls a coup,e of times and done the cable car. This time we would like to visit Cavtat. Has anyone been under their 'own steam, or would we be better booking a PO trip.

Sue

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Sue,

You might be able to get a good idea of where your ship is going to be berthed by scrutinizing the port authority's website. We went to Cavtat on an excursion from the ship. The coach route basically follows a coastal route (headlands etc) and it stopped in a 'viewing' lay-by half way along, and we were able to get some stunning photos of the coast. The descent down into Cavtat was very twisty and hilly, and the coach parked in a car park down by the marina there. From the car park it is a very easy short virtually short walk to the little quay area with just one or two tourist shops and a couple of bars and cafes. There is a point of interest which is a religious sort of monument that you can walk up a steep hill to, and it overlooks the little quay area.

On a practical note we were allowed to use the loo facilities in one of the cafes; walking was very easy going. The water by the quayside was crystal clear blue . Hope you enjoy it as much as we did. We liked it so much we vowed to return.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I deffo wouldn't bother with a P&O trip to Cavtat. There are three options ... taxi, the regular ferry boats from the old harbour area or on the local ( bumpy ) bus.

Just go and enjoy the place :wave:

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Thanks Boris and MOB. I think we would rather go by ferry than P & o coach or bumpy bus. The problem is the short stays in Dubrovnik now.if we dock at Gruz then it will mean shuttle to old town for ferry to Cavtat. It might be better to taxi to Cavtat then ferry it back and catch the shuttle back to ship.

Will ponder on that one.

Sue

Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

We did a P&O excursion last year that combined Dubrovnik and Cavtat, we absolutely loved Cavtat, it is a small peaceful place with a gorgeous quayside which has plenty of seats alongside in the shade of lots of trees to just sit and watch the yachts coming and going. There is a little roped off area of the sea which lots of children were jumping in and out of and having a great time. It took about 20 minutes to get there from Dubrovnik up some quite steep hills and little windy roads. We prefer to take organised excursions as we are then sure we will not ' miss the boat ! ' but I guess it would be quite easy to do it yourself.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We visited Dubrovnik on our first P&O cruise back in 2006. Just got the shuttle bus into town which dropped us off outside the old town entrance and then did our own thing. Do the wall walk early, as others have said it gets hot hot hot very quickly. The large fountain just inside the entrance to the old town is very welcoming for cooling down.

I can recommend the ice creams as well :thumbup:
Dscf0018b.jpg

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

One additional point ... using anything other than P&O to get to Cavtat will require the use of their local Kuna.

RB1961
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by RB1961 »

I second the ice cream...

RB

Return to “Europe”